Solved

Domain and Home editions.

Tags:
  • Domain
  • Computers
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
December 15, 2010 4:23:42 AM

Most of my computers are professionals windows computers. But I have two home editions. I was thinking about setting up a domain with all of the computers on my network that I can. I know I can't join the home editions to domain but, what can I do with them. All I really need is to be able to share a folder on a server (on the domain), with the home computers. The two home computer are just used to play videos and automatically log in to a local administrator user, so no one will need to log in to it with a domain account.

More about : domain home editions

December 15, 2010 11:50:02 AM

I don't really see why you would need a domain to setup a simple file share for a local home network. Have you considered just sharing the file?

In order to setup a domain you'd have to grab a Windows Server distro and use that for your server. You'd have to setup the domain controller and assign domain names to each system (trust me, this is a pain in the padded ass for your application).

Maybe I misunderstood you. Is this for your home or an office?
m
l
December 15, 2010 9:48:31 PM

Psychoteddy said:
I don't really see why you would need a domain to setup a simple file share for a local home network. Have you considered just sharing the file?

In order to setup a domain you'd have to grab a Windows Server distro and use that for your server. You'd have to setup the domain controller and assign domain names to each system (trust me, this is a pain in the padded ass for your application).

Maybe I misunderstood you. Is this for your home or an office?

Yes this is my home, and yes simple file sharing is just fine, for what I need. I am doing it more for my education in how to setup a domain, then anything else. It is funner and causes more problems, then just reading about it in a book :) 
I have server 2008 up and running (it is my file server) so I just need to install the domain portion, and start breaking stuff from there :) .
I just was wondering if my home editions would be able to access any files at all on the server when it is changed to a domain controller?

m
l
Related resources

Best solution

December 16, 2010 4:53:24 PM

Catsrules said:
Yes this is my home, and yes simple file sharing is just fine, for what I need. I am doing it more for my education in how to setup a domain, then anything else. It is funner and causes more problems, then just reading about it in a book :) 
I have server 2008 up and running (it is my file server) so I just need to install the domain portion, and start breaking stuff from there :) .
I just was wondering if my home editions would be able to access any files at all on the server when it is changed to a domain controller?

If you join your workstations to the domain, yes. They will be able to see them. Hope this helps and happy breaking! :pt1cable: 
December 24, 2010 7:13:39 AM

Quote:
why don't you make use of vmware and virtual machines if you are using it for educational purposes.

Normally I would, but I am close to reinstalling windows on all of my computers. (crapware is over taking them :) ) So I figured, why not try it out on live subjects for a few weeks.

Thanks for you help.
m
l
December 24, 2010 7:14:03 AM

Best answer selected by catsrules.
m
l
!