Where are the "Graphic Properties"?

andypearce

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Hello Everyone.

I'm running a game at the moment, which is leaving two black bars on either side of the screen when trying to play it. Anyway, I know that to fix this I need to go into the Graphics Properties and change some of the scaling settings.

However, I cannot find the Graphics Properties anywhere. Some people are saying that I need to right click on the desktop and select it, but it isn't there when I right click.

Basically, could somebody inform me on how to access the Graphics Properties so I can change my scaling settings please?

Thank you

Andy

I'm going to assume that you're using a widescreen monitor and are trying to play a game that as a non-widescreen aspect ratio. If this is the case, you have three options:

1. Find the graphics settings that you're looking for (would need more information about your system but it's usually a part of your graphic's control panel) and change the scaling from "letterboxed" to "stretched". This will cause the image to expand to fill the gaps but it will be appear awkward to look at. All this does is stretch the image like an elastic.

2. Change the game settings to adopt the wider aspect ratio. Older games often only utilize resolutions in the 5:4 (1280x1024) or 4:3 (1600x1200) aspect ratio whereas newer monitors have aspect ratios that are typically 16:9 (720p, 1080p) or 16:10 (1920x1200, 2560x1600). Some bitmapped games such as Diablo 2 are fixed resolution and cannot be changed. Games that are rendered using vector graphics have adjustable resolutions but may require workarounds. Check out http://widescreengamingforum.com/ for more information on your specific game

3. Do nothing

well in that case the setting you are looking for should be in the NVidia control panel. I don't have an nvidia card in this computer so I can't point you in the right direction but it's a good place to start looking for something along the line of "Screen scaling". However, I highly recommend playing games in the aspect ratio they were designed for

andypearce

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Okay, thanks for your help. I can't seem to find a Control Panel for my card anyway, so I think i'll take your advice and stick the aspect ratio the game was design for. Thanks again for all of your help :)