Computer will not turn off after shutdown

G

Hello,
I have a Fijitsu-Siemens T-Bird circa 2003. For some weeks when I have pressed the button to switch it 'on' in the morning neither light below the button has come on so I have held the button in to switch it 'off' and then switched off the computer for a few seconds using the mains switch on the back of the tower. Pressing the button again has resulted in the lights coming on and the computer booting up,
operating and shutting down normally.
This morning the fan was still running although I had told Windows to 'shut down' last night. Pressing the button in for some seconds did not cause the computer to switch 'off'. Switching 'off' at the back for several seconds stopped the fan but it immediately restarted on switching 'on' again. I have checked the push button switch with an ohm-meter and it is working. I have shorted across the contacts with a screwdriver and it still doesn't switch off. Any ideas please?

You need to clean up the registry. There is a particular entry that forces the rig to flush everything and shutdown completely. Most probably, that registry entry has either got modified while installing a program or then it has been deleted.
"In most cases, automatically shutting down can be fixed by installing the motherboard drivers (if not done already). If your computer still doesn't shut down correctly, try this registry tweak. Change the value PowerdownAfterShutdown to 1 in the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon"