Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

I7 3820 Available in the US?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
February 17, 2012 6:36:54 PM

It's been almost a week since the "launch" of the socket 2011 processor i7 3820. No one seems to have any in stock, in the U.S. anyway. Anyone have any news? I've got an Asus P9x79 Deluxe waiting for a cpu to fill its void.

More about : 3820

February 17, 2012 7:29:16 PM

Same problem here. I cannot find the 3820 anywhere. It is listed a lot of places as out of stock and backordered. I can't finish my build without this CPU.
Score
0
a c 188 à CPUs
February 17, 2012 8:30:06 PM

Guys most of the time when we launch a new processors to a line like this it means that our distributors are now able to order the processor and then the resellers are order from them. This means that it can take two to three weeks before they show up at resellers.

Now with a new product like the Intel® SSD 520s we generally do those as a hard launch and will have stock on hand to start selling as soon as the launch is made.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
Score
0
Related resources
February 17, 2012 9:19:19 PM

i7 3820 now at Newegg! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Looks like it is combo-only which is fine with me since I haven't ordered the motherboard yet. I already placed an order. Can't wait to get this next week. It's going to be so nice to sell off my old P8400-based system.
Score
0
February 18, 2012 2:18:03 AM

I'm glad to see it at newegg, but I already have a motherboard. It does not seem like good customer service to require a combo. I've been waiting forever, and now the wait continues...
Score
0

Best solution

February 21, 2012 6:38:01 PM

acuras said:
I'm glad to see it at newegg, but I already have a motherboard. It does not seem like good customer service to require a combo. I've been waiting forever, and now the wait continues...


Ditto! Terrible service style, excellent business model. I have a quote sitting on the desk of somebody at compusa.com with all of the parts I want... minus the mobo and cpu.
Share
February 22, 2012 1:33:30 AM

acuras said:
It's been almost a week since the "launch" of the socket 2011 processor i7 3820. No one seems to have any in stock, in the U.S. anyway. Anyone have any news? I've got an Asus P9x79 Deluxe waiting for a cpu to fill its void.


I just got a call from my guy at compusa.com, the processor is in today. It's not online yet but you just have to order over the phone.
Score
0
a c 127 à CPUs
February 22, 2012 3:33:05 AM

Nice. We can finally move out LGA1366 builds to LGA2011. We waited because its not very often that someone will buy a LGA1366 and when they do they wont buy the $600 and $1K CPUs. Hell the top CPU we keep is the 960 for that reason.
Score
0
February 23, 2012 4:10:13 AM

I am so frustrated right now. I did get my 3820 yesterday and I built my new machine today. I was greeted with error code 0xAF from the ASRock Extreme4-M. Turns out that the 3820 for sale at Newegg has the M1 stepping which is not compatible with the Extreme4-M's in Newegg's stock even though it's sold as part of a combo. The M0 stepping 3820 is compatible, but it's not for sale. It is necessary to have an Extreme4-M with a BIOS that is version 1.6 or newer. There is no way to flash the BIOS with the 3820 installed or no CPU installed at all. The board is completely ignoring my keyboard commands.

Beware if you're thinking of pairing the ASRock Extreme4-M with the i7 3820. There may be compatibility issues with other boards too. I am extremely not happy because I bought a Silverstone FT03 as the case and it was a bear to get everything set up. Now I have to do it all over again.
Score
0
February 23, 2012 9:52:39 PM

bigdragon said:
I am so frustrated right now. I did get my 3820 yesterday and I built my new machine today. I was greeted with error code 0xAF from the ASRock Extreme4-M. Turns out that the 3820 for sale at Newegg has the M1 stepping which is not compatible with the Extreme4-M's in Newegg's stock even though it's sold as part of a combo. The M0 stepping 3820 is compatible, but it's not for sale. It is necessary to have an Extreme4-M with a BIOS that is version 1.6 or newer. There is no way to flash the BIOS with the 3820 installed or no CPU installed at all. The board is completely ignoring my keyboard commands.

Beware if you're thinking of pairing the ASRock Extreme4-M with the i7 3820. There may be compatibility issues with other boards too. I am extremely not happy because I bought a Silverstone FT03 as the case and it was a bear to get everything set up. Now I have to do it all over again.


Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered the Rampage IV extreme so hopefully that works.
Score
0
February 23, 2012 11:11:00 PM

ASRock has overnighted me a new BIOS chip with 1.6 on it since I cannot load it myself. Looks like it's a simple 8-pin chip on the board to replace so hopefully everything will be functioning in the next couple of days. I'm just so glad that I don't have to take the entire system apart. Going through the RMA process was not something I wanted to deal with.

Because of this issue I actually learned more about how to program those little controller chips. If I had the right tools I'd do it myself. It looks quite straightforward. Maybe I'll finally be able to use the new system this weekend. ASRock stepped up to the plate to address this issue. I'm really wondering what Intel changed between this version of the 3820 and the one they were peddling to review sites months ago. I hope it's nothing to affect performance.
Score
0
February 24, 2012 2:26:25 PM

Good to hear man. I just put my rig order in yesterday:
-Rampage IV
-H100 cooler
-580 classy
-ocz vertex 120 gb
-sony blue ray drive
-seagate 1 TB 6 Gb/s
-Thermal take MK-I
-Corsair 1050w pro series
-16 Gb G Skill @ 1866
-3820k
Score
0
February 24, 2012 11:17:27 PM

Nice! I almost bought a Corsair H100 cooler and a Fractal Arc Mini. I ended up going with the Intel single-fan liquid cooler and the Silverstone FT03. I think you made a better choice with your case. The FT03 looks nice, but it's a complete bear to put together, and I'm particularly annoyed at this little metal lip at the top of the PCIe slots that blocks the connection of an HDMI cable. Why did they do that? So weird.

ASRock support came through and got me a new bios chip. My system is booting normally now. Definitely a big upgrade from that old Core 2 Duo P8400. The support experience from ASRock was definitely positive. I'm still curious what Intel did to the chip. I haven't tried any benchmarks, but I hope it's very close to the reviews months ago that sold the chip for me.

My system:
Intel i7 3820
Intel liquid cooler
ASRock Extreme4-m motherboard
16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600
Sapphire Radeon 7950 OC Dual-Fan
2x OCZ Agility 3 240GB SSD
Lepa G500-MA PSU
Silverstone FT03 Case
Score
0
February 25, 2012 2:45:55 AM

An update on the newegg chip. Yes, it requires a combo, but there is a $15 storage transfer cd you can buy as the combo. I did it this way. $15 extra bucks is worth it. I'm running the 3820 on an Asus p9x79 Deluxe and am very happy. Now to sell my 1366 cpu and mobo.
Score
0
February 25, 2012 2:47:07 AM

Best answer selected by acuras.
Score
0
February 25, 2012 4:10:26 AM

bigdragon said:
Nice! I almost bought a Corsair H100 cooler and a Fractal Arc Mini. I ended up going with the Intel single-fan liquid cooler and the Silverstone FT03. I think you made a better choice with your case. The FT03 looks nice, but it's a complete bear to put together, and I'm particularly annoyed at this little metal lip at the top of the PCIe slots that blocks the connection of an HDMI cable. Why did they do that? So weird.

ASRock support came through and got me a new bios chip. My system is booting normally now. Definitely a big upgrade from that old Core 2 Duo P8400. The support experience from ASRock was definitely positive. I'm still curious what Intel did to the chip. I haven't tried any benchmarks, but I hope it's very close to the reviews months ago that sold the chip for me.

My system:
Intel i7 3820
Intel liquid cooler
ASRock Extreme4-m motherboard
16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600
Sapphire Radeon 7950 OC Dual-Fan
2x OCZ Agility 3 240GB SSD
Lepa G500-MA PSU
Silverstone FT03 Case


I remember overclocking my q8200 to 3.0. That was .333 X 7 because of the locked multiplier. I forget the vcore on it though. That's awesome you stuck with the q8400 for that long. I ended up finding a qx9650 in mid-2010 for $300 when they were running for close to $1k. I just recently overclocked it to 3.6 for the heck of it.

Ya the MK case was attractive because i read a review where they kept the fans and put the radiator of the h100 at the top so it sold me.

You have 480 GB of SSD? That's unbelievable. I'd imagine it's probably Sata-III too. ya I read a lot about the motherboard you bought. The review I read put that one against the Gigabyte ud5 and the Asus Deluxe and WS. For the money they loved your board though i can't remember which review it was because I read a ton.

Good luck with your build and we'll have to keep in touch regarding OC-ing it and such.

Cheers
Score
0
February 25, 2012 10:41:04 PM

bigdragon said:
ASRock has overnighted me a new BIOS chip with 1.6 on it since I cannot load it myself. Looks like it's a simple 8-pin chip on the board to replace so hopefully everything will be functioning in the next couple of days. I'm just so glad that I don't have to take the entire system apart. Going through the RMA process was not something I wanted to deal with.

Because of this issue I actually learned more about how to program those little controller chips. If I had the right tools I'd do it myself. It looks quite straightforward. Maybe I'll finally be able to use the new system this weekend. ASRock stepped up to the plate to address this issue. I'm really wondering what Intel changed between this version of the 3820 and the one they were peddling to review sites months ago. I hope it's nothing to affect performance.



BigDragon, what did you tell asrock to get them to overnight the chip to you? Im assuming they did it free of charge.
I think I am having the same issue as you, except with the full size board. When I turn it on, I get no sound or video, but the board reads an error 0xAF. And I also have the 3820.
Bummer is, I didnt get it till later yesterday, and by the time I put it together asrock was closed... and they don't reopen till Monday.

Also how difficult was it to replace the chip? From the looks of it, I just pull it out, and pop the new one in. Seems easy enough. I shouldn't even have to remove it from the case right?

And it fixed it all for you? Everything booted up afterwards?
I am contemplating returning the mobo to newegg and buying a different model at a local microcenter.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
February 25, 2012 11:17:52 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!