Sign in with
Your question

HDD not being detected, CPU over temp error?

Last response: in Systems
November 17, 2011 3:49:56 AM

I just finished putting everything together, but when I hit the power button NOTHING happens. All I get is a green light on the motherboard. No sounds, no fans spinning, NOTHING but that green light. Where did I go wrong? I seriously doubt I shorted/fried anything as I was extra careful. I really suspect I may have connected something wrong. Can you guys PLEASE HELP ME?!! I'm totally freaking the hell out right now.

More about : hdd detected cpu temp error

November 17, 2011 3:57:10 AM

calm down

and read the thread about how to troubleshoot at the top of the forum
m
l
November 17, 2011 4:54:42 AM

Ok, so I got it to boot up and got it to post. All I did was reconnect the front panel switches and made sure CPU was getting power. HOWEVER, my HDD was not detected. I reconnected the power and sata cables, but now when I try to boot it up it powers up, fans running etc.. but only stays on for 2 seconds then powers off. WTF? I'm totally lost right now.
m
l
Related resources
November 17, 2011 6:46:53 AM

From the PSU connect to:
Motherboard - 24pin (multicolor) + 12v cpu cable (yellow and black, 4 or 8 pins)
GFX card - 1 or 2 pci-e cables (depending on how many sockets your gfx card has, fill them all up) 6 or 8 pin
HDD/SSD/Optical - One sata power socket to each one of them (wire colors are yellow, black, black, red)

From motherboard connect:
Front panel - power switch, reset switch, hdd led, power led, speaker, usb header, audio header.
Fans - CPU and chassis fans to their respective headers (4pin for cpu, 3pin for everything else)
HDD/SSD/Optical - one sata cable. If they are sata3 then use the respective sata 3 headers (even if you mix them the system should power up)

And that's it. Fire it up and let's see if the symptoms continue. Also i would like you to tell me what kind of sounds the motherboard gives you through the speaker.
m
l
November 17, 2011 4:07:07 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I did a CMOS reset by removing the battery for a minute and reconnected power switch and cpu power. It statrts up fine now and starts posting but my problem now is that my hard disk is not being detected so I cannot install windows until I figure out whats going on.

All I get is "hard disk not detected"

What can be the problem? I'm totally new to PC builds and was having a hard time getting the optical/HDD connected so perhaps it is not connected properly? My case has hot swap bays (Obsidian 800d) if that helps some.
m
l
November 17, 2011 4:21:10 PM

Ok, so it's still not detecting the HDD even after I reconnected it. Not only that, but now, during the boot post screen, it's reporting a "CPU over temperature error". Strange, as last night (before I had the boot up issues), it reported: "CPU installed" or something like that.

I am using an I5 2500k coupled with an H60 for cooling. The rest of my system is as follows.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k
PSU: Corsair TX750W
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 PRO REV 3.1
GPU: Evga GTX 570 HD Double shot
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600mhz ram 1.65v
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB

I installed the cooler as per the instructions, made sure pump made proper contact with CPU, etc., so this is perplexing to me. With regard to the CPU over temperature error, could it be that maybe I installed th pump wrong? Also, I will try to connect the HDD to another sata port to see if that helps.

Any help would be enormously appreciated.
m
l
November 17, 2011 5:43:03 PM

No help??

I took the H60 off just to make sure it was making proper contact with CPU. The attachment bolts were a bit loose so I tightened them up and made sure thermal past was evenly spread out (paste was spread out but coating was thin and had a few spots that didn't get totally covered, is this ok?)

I changed sata ports and data connections for the HDD but it's still not being detected and while the CPU over temperature error is gone at post now, the bios reading is a different story. Bios is reporting 95 degrees celcius for cpu, wtf? I mean really, it's very cool in my room at the moment and I haven't had the PC on for more than a couple minutes at a time. False readings, perhaps? Also, my ram is being detected at only 1333 mhz, yet I'm supposed to have 1600mhz. Yet another issue I need to sort out.

So if someone, anyone, could please help me sort these problems out, I would be forever grateful!

Issue # 1 - Bios/post not recognizing hard disk

Issue # 2 - Ram is only being detected at 1333mhz (I have 1600 ram)

Issue # 3 - Initial CPU over temperature error and bios 95 degree celcius reading.
m
l
November 17, 2011 8:18:34 PM

wow, what a fine pickle. Your system has amazing parts btw and i am sorry to see you struggling under this.
Some people have reported this high temperature problem while their i7 was doing fine, a problem with the sensors or something but HWmonitor shows the correct temps. The rest of your problem now i have never encountered. Did you try to update your bios? If not then try that (via usb and ezflash).
I hope it works out fine. As for your memory, i wouldn't worry about it. You see the native frequency of the memory is 1333mhz. 1600 is just an overclock (for now because ivy bridge is 1600mhz native). Get your system to stabilize and you can set it to 1600mhz later on. (after OC)
Try flashing bios, make sure the drive recognization is set to all auto, plug and pray. The defects i have encountered and the incompatiblilities with asus boards lately is alarming.
m
l
November 17, 2011 8:28:30 PM

#1 got the power cable connected to the hard drive too?

#2 Sandy bridges RAM controller works at 1333 MHz by default . Leave this alone for the time being

#3 a tiny drop of thermal paste is all you need . Less is better . Do you have the cooler plugged in to a power header so the pump is working ? Are the fans on the radiator also working?
m
l
November 18, 2011 12:28:44 AM

Update:

I have now solved the issue of the hard drive. As it turns out, the bios was detecting the HDD the entire time, I simply overlooked it. I bought some new thermal compound, which should be here tomorrow, and temporarily replaced the H60 with the stock heatsink fan. I no longer received the cpu over temp error, but the cpu temp at idle is registering in at 50-55 degrees celcius.

Still much to high for my liking. I've been told that sometimes the bios gives false readings before updating it, so perhaps that is the problem and not my actual cooling/cpu. CPU area does not seem hot whatsoever, so I'm inclined to believe it is a false reading.

Anyhow, back to the other issues which still linger. I was able to start windows 7 through the CD, although not because I was able to change the boot priority (more on this later) but because I forced the boot to override number one item on the boot priority (HDD on default), but I wanted to boot windows from the disk/optical drive so I did.

Windows came on, I chose custom install onto my HDD, started the partition, and it began installing windows with the reminder that the computer would restart a few times during the process. This alarmed me, as the initial booting up issues were back again, although I was able to get around this by reseting the CMOS.

Maybe I took a short cut where I shouldn't have. I bypassed the initial boot up problems (computer boots up fine, then shuts down a few seconds later), thinking that I had solved it with the CMOS reset. WRONG. The problem remains a mystery and unresolved. Worst yet, during the windows installation onto my HDD, the computer had to restart but did not reboot to continue the installation.

So here I am, unable to continue installing windows 7, and completely clueless on how to sort this out, and with a partially installed copy of windows on my HDD. Question about the HDD/unfinished windows installation; after I do get this issue solved, will I have to format the already copied data? Or will I be able to continue where it left off?

m
l
November 18, 2011 12:35:50 AM

vx53c said:
wow, what a fine pickle. Your system has amazing parts btw and i am sorry to see you struggling under this.
Some people have reported this high temperature problem while their i7 was doing fine, a problem with the sensors or something but HWmonitor shows the correct temps. The rest of your problem now i have never encountered. Did you try to update your bios? If not then try that (via usb and ezflash).
I hope it works out fine. As for your memory, i wouldn't worry about it. You see the native frequency of the memory is 1333mhz. 1600 is just an overclock (for now because ivy bridge is 1600mhz native). Get your system to stabilize and you can set it to 1600mhz later on. (after OC)
Try flashing bios, make sure the drive recognization is set to all auto, plug and pray. The defects i have encountered and the incompatiblilities with asus boards lately is alarming.

I also was told that this high temp reading from the bios occurs sometimes. I'm pretty certain that this is the case with mine, actually. CPU area does not feel anywhere near the temps that it registers in the bios (55c idle). First two problems solved,though now I'm back to square one; solving the boot up/shut down issues.

Any suggestions on how to fix that? I'm certain that my PSU is fine, as it boots up normally and runs flawlessly, but as soon as I manually shut it down, and later try to start it up again, it boots up, but only to shut down a few seconds later. Resetting the CMOS by removing the battery solves it, but I keep going in circles after that.

I know something must be connected wrong or perhaps a fan wire or other wire is shorting something. Should I tread back in the install process? i.e disconnect everything and start all over again?

EDIT:

Almost forgot to add, why is it that some of my case fans are not spinning? Two of my stock case fans are not working even though I have them connected to the mother board.
m
l
November 18, 2011 12:53:59 AM

You are unable to change the boot priority? Give up more information on that please.

After the windows installation reboots to continue setup. It no longer needs to boot from the CD. It should boot to the HDD and continue setup. But your does not?

When it goes to reboot does it get past POST? If so, what does it start doing?
m
l
November 18, 2011 1:16:46 AM

Excuse me for not clarifying this issue properly. oK, firstly, the system boots, it gets past post and I'm able to get into the bios. I can change the boot priority, but the issue is when I save and exit to restart, the computer will reboot but will shut down a few short seconds later. The only way to get around this is to reset the CMOS and then it will boot normally again. I'm not sure whats causing this issue, but my hardware seems to be fine.

Anyhow, I learned that I could boot from the optical drive by simply bypassing the HDD boot priority. It doesn't restart the computer, it goes straight into windows after that. I was having issues installing windows, as a result of the boot up issues, since it requires a few system restarts, but I was able to get around that by repeating the aforementioned steps (CMOS resetting) and I now have windows installed.

That's the good part at least, but I still have to solve the issue of why the system shuts down after I boot any time after I restart the computer.
m
l
November 18, 2011 1:33:19 AM

Did you put the jumper back to the default position after resetting the CMOS?
m
l
November 18, 2011 2:31:22 AM

Yes.
m
l
November 18, 2011 4:03:08 AM

Trying to rule out the obvious with that one.

Have you securely checked the power and reset buttons?
m
l
November 18, 2011 4:24:48 AM

I half understand what you say. Do your bios settings jump back to default each time? If yes it is a battery problem.
If windows7 installed then your hardware is not faulty. Did you flash your bios? (update through a flash drive and ez flash on bios)
As for the fans, make sure they are connected to their supposed ports and try hardware monitor.
m
l
November 18, 2011 6:40:08 PM

The bios only resets to default after I manually reset CMOS myself. I was able to fully install Windows 7, install various software, and install chipsets, lan, audio, etc., for the motherboard. I even played a few games last night. Temps were normal, CPU idled at 30-33, and 45 on load. GPU idled at 37 and 65 on load, so this really makes me optimistic that my hardware is fine.

But the boot problem persists. Others have told me that it sounds like something is out of wack in the BIOS. And given that it read my hardware temps falsely, I would think so.

I looked through some of the configuration tools in the bios last night and came across an option called "boot number lockup" or something similar? It was enabled as I recall it. Also, I've noticed that the motherboard has a small red led that lights up and reads "boot led" something. It lights up red.

Can you be kind enough to show me how to I can flash the bios? I have no idea how to. Perhaps updating the bios is all I may need.

Thanks in advance.
m
l
November 18, 2011 7:52:00 PM

Ok first off go here; http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8P6...

> Click the download tab under the image of your motherboard.
> Select your OS
> BIOS will be the second item down. Click the + to expand.
> Download the latest version which appears to be version 2001 (2011.10.06)
> The file will be ZIP, so unzip it and slap the BIOS flash onto some removable media.
> Reboot your computer and go into BIOS. ASUS supports EZ Flash so look for that option in your BIOS and follow it's steps.

If that utility is not located in your BIOS, then it will have to be accessed through a function key during POST.

It's been awhile since I used an ASUS motherboard. That last stop I'm not 100% sure on, if any other users find my directions wrong please correct me.

I hope this was helpful.

EDIT: vx53c beat me to the punch while I was typing this out and finding your mobo on asus. Damned you dial up! lol
m
l
November 18, 2011 9:05:46 PM

Evan20x said:
Ok first off go here; http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8P6...

> Click the download tab under the image of your motherboard.
> Select your OS
> BIOS will be the second item down. Click the + to expand.
> Download the latest version which appears to be version 2001 (2011.10.06)
> The file will be ZIP, so unzip it and slap the BIOS flash onto some removable media.
> Reboot your computer and go into BIOS. ASUS supports EZ Flash so look for that option in your BIOS and follow it's steps.

If that utility is not located in your BIOS, then it will have to be accessed through a function key during POST.

It's been awhile since I used an ASUS motherboard. That last stop I'm not 100% sure on, if any other users find my directions wrong please correct me.

I hope this was helpful.

EDIT: vx53c beat me to the punch while I was typing this out and finding your mobo on asus. Damned you dial up! lol

About to try this out now. Should I be concerned about any potential bricking of the motherboard? I really do not want that to happen. And thanks for being so helpful guys!
m
l
November 19, 2011 4:21:29 AM

It has happened to me once and it is a rare occasion. You shouldn't be afraid though because no matter what you do with flashing it is still fixable.
In the very unlikely occasion that something happens you can order a bios chip that costs about 2-5$ with the latest bios already there.
You will be happy to know that the mobo that i bricked back then is still with me after such a chip change.
But it is an offchance. I have always had the latest bios in all my computers, it only happened this once and i can tell you that most of the times the update is worth the trouble and the minor risk.
m
l
!