Computer not booting after installing new heat sink

pretonic

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
So here is my issue. I got a bunch of new hardware today for my computer. One of them being a new heat sink. I installed all the new hardware. Went to turn on the computer and it would flicker on and then off. So I took everything apart, removed my motherboard from the case and placed it in its box. I put my old heat sink on it and the same PSU. turned it on, and it worked. So I figured out it wasn't my motherboard or my PSU. So i went step by step through each new piece of hardware and narrowed it down to it being something with my heat sink (Hyper 212 plus). I have the 8 pin cpu power connector plugged in along with the atx plug plugged in. I reset the cmos, had 1 ram stick in instead of two, removed all extra peripherals and still nothing. Please help.

Specs:
MOBO: GA-890GPA-UD3H
RAM: Corsair vengeance (2x4gb)
GPU: (Sapphire Radeon 6870)
CPU: Amd Phenom II x6 1050
Heat sink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus
PSU: Corsair CS600 V2 Builder Series
Case: HAF 912

cball1311

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

Do you mean that you powered it up out of the case or back in the case with the old heat sink?

pretonic

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012

yea ive been thinking its something with the case, but im confused with the standoff thing. The case has two already in and they go through the screw holes in the mobo. But i left them alone because i didnt think I needed to do anything else. So with that being said. DO I need to do anything with those, and how many standoffs do i need? do they need to be in all of the screw holes of the mobo or what?

cball1311

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
Yeah. It's best practice to have all the screws in the motherboard as this provides better stability for the board. Double check every mounting hole with every standoff point. If one is not there, there shouldn't be a case of a short but definitely having one where there is not supposed to be one will create a short. Put the board back in and make sure nothing is hitting the case. It looks like your motherboard and case fit together perfectly with all 9 standoffs. The only other thing that I would say is that the CPU fan is faulty.

pretonic

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012

ok so i have all of the standoffs in and screwed in. i plug it in and turn it on, the psu fan and the heat sink fan start but then stop again. This is a little bit of an improvement from before but it still isnt fully solved. All I have plugged in when I start it is the heat sink and, 1 stick of ram.