Sign in with
Your question
Solved

No beep , no boot , no bios ! Ram or motherboard ?

Last response: in Motherboards
December 24, 2012 1:22:39 AM

Hello,
I overclocked my processor to 185mhz base clock . It was runningn fine for two days , then one night it crashed within 15 minutes of boot and failed to power up onwards . Then i found the psu was dead , thus i bought a 600 W psu and installed it .

Now , it powers up but doesnt get to Post and doesnt make sound . I checked all the wirings and they were fine , then I cleared CMOS 5 times , yet again nothing happened .

I think , My mobo doesnt have a buzzer at all ( as i never heard the beep in 3 years ) .

But i found a strange behaviour .

With ram fitted ! My system power offs as soon as i press the power key .

But , after removing the RAM , it doesnt power off as soon as i press , but it takes a loooong press to do so .

So , is the ram faulty ? Or the Mobo ? Or something else

I will appreciate your help , as i am dying without my pc coz i am a addict blogger,geek, cg artist .

PLZ HELP , coz without my pc i am gonna miss india's biggest CG championship , which is just on 3rd jan .

Mobo : MSI P55 GD65
Cpu : Intel Core i5 750
Psu : 600W ( brand new )
Gpu : MSI R5770
Ram : 1x2GB DDR3

More about : beep boot bios ram motherboard

a b V Motherboard
December 24, 2012 4:46:04 AM

share your complete config.... processor, ram models, mobo , hard drive and psu everything...bclk affects ram so there's a chance the increased base clock is causing system failure
m
l
a c 559 V Motherboard
December 24, 2012 5:06:07 AM

Hi, It could be more than a power supply issue. If more than 1 RAM stick, test the board having only one RAM stick installed. If only one, then try borrowing a compatible module from a friend and test. Try also clearing the CMOS (unplug the power cord and remove the CMOS battery for few minutes).
What motherboard and CPU do you have?
It would be also helpful to connect a buzzer.
m
l
Related resources
December 24, 2012 5:53:27 AM

satyamdubey said:
share your complete config.... processor, ram models, mobo , hard drive and psu everything...bclk affects ram so there's a chance the increased base clock is causing system failure

Ok , i forgot to mention config :p  .

Mobo : msi p55 gd65
Cpu : core i5 750
psu : 600w corsair ( brand new )
Gpu : msi r5770
m
l
December 24, 2012 5:54:43 AM

satyamdubey said:

Shared .
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 24, 2012 6:17:02 AM

Remove cmos battery then power on.if power on successfully goto bios.the cmos battery dont enough power so change cmos battery.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 24, 2012 6:18:01 AM

Update windows .Automatically detect and install latest best driver and fix all issues.
Update bios.
Update hdd/ssd firmware.
Change cmos battery.
Full Scan system with "SUPERANTISPYWARE" Freeware.
m
l
December 24, 2012 6:51:12 AM

hytecgowthaman said:
Update windows .Automatically detect and install latest best driver and fix all issues.
Update bios.
Update hdd/ssd firmware.
Change cmos battery.
Full Scan system with "SUPERANTISPYWARE" Freeware.

Reseted cmos 5 times before asking it here on thread .
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 24, 2012 8:05:04 AM

Ram?
m
l
December 24, 2012 8:28:23 AM

Zion 2GB
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 24, 2012 9:02:20 AM

not the best ram out there and i'll assume it is 1066 MHz. now when you set your BCLK did you set your ram multplier down to a low value? also you have to set your VTT (IMC voltage manually) 1.1 V for 1.6 Volt ram and about 1 Volt for 1.5 Volt ram in any case it should never exceed 1.4 volts for intel cpu's and if you do not do it manually then your mobo may automatically increase it and that can cause problem.

How did you reset the CMOS?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 24, 2012 9:17:55 AM

Hard reset the CMOS. Try this
1. Turn off the power coming into the psu and the monitor but leave it all plugged in to the wall socket.
2. Now remove the battery from the mobo
3. press the power button a couple of times. You do not see anything happen obviously but by doing this you completely ground/earth (since your connectors are still plugged in to the wall socket) any static electricity.
4. wait for like 5 mins and then put the battery back in
5. now power up up your system and hopefully you would see a CMOS checksum error

good luck
-Satyam
m
l
December 24, 2012 9:29:37 AM

Well i tried it earlier , but lemme try again .
m
l
December 24, 2012 9:47:59 AM

satyamdubey said:
Hard reset the CMOS. Try this
1. Turn off the power coming into the psu and the monitor but leave it all plugged in to the wall socket.
2. Now remove the battery from the mobo
3. press the power button a couple of times. You do not see anything happen obviously but by doing this you completely ground/earth (since your connectors are still plugged in to the wall socket) any static electricity.
4. wait for like 5 mins and then put the battery back in
5. now power up up your system and hopefully you would see a CMOS checksum error

good luck
-Satyam

No profit , still there.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 24, 2012 11:32:12 AM

your member config says you have a 4 gb vengeance too...try that in the mobo. chances are either the mobo slots or the ram has been damaged...trying a diff ram might help ruling out a bricked mobo
m
l
December 24, 2012 11:39:14 AM

satyamdubey said:
your member config says you have a 4 gb vengeance too...try that in the mobo. chances are either the mobo slots or the ram has been damaged...trying a diff ram might help ruling out a bricked mobo

Its up in transit, will find try that ASAP .
m
l
December 26, 2012 8:58:36 AM

satyamdubey said:

It didnt work :-(
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 26, 2012 9:27:15 AM

Board is likely bricked. although I am not really convinced. we need experts here.
m
l
December 26, 2012 9:28:11 AM

Hey , i have further noticed that usb devices arenot lighting up at all.
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
December 26, 2012 9:42:04 AM

RMA the board...seems like only option...hopefully someone else might somthing that we may have overlooked but I dont know whether you can wait through an RMA since you want to take part in that CG championship
December 28, 2012 8:05:11 PM

I'm also having no POST problem. Just when I was 90% sure it was PSU, it turned out it was a bad RAM stick. The strange thing was that I experienced no POST symptom even when that particular RAM stick was out. Could it be that it made damage that caused no POSTs even after it was removed from the MOBO
m
l
January 5, 2013 4:04:46 AM

Best answer selected by yrules.
m
l
!