Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Only see 2 out of 4 cores

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 17, 2012 9:13:44 PM

Hi, today I upgraded the BIOS to the latest version and I only see two out of four cores. The only reason I suspect this is because when I ran the program Core Temperature (Which I've been using just to watch CPU temperatures) is only giving me back readings on two cores as opposed to the four it was showing before the update.. Could the BIOS update really have done this or maybe the program is just reading it back differently? These are my components.

GIGABYTE 970A-D3 (went from BIOS version F7 to F8e)
AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz

I'd like to avoid reverting the update because i hate messing with bios updates in the first place and before I updated some applications I was trying to use kept blue-screening me, and after the update they no longer give me problems.

I just want to know if the BIOS update did something, I'm ready to give more information I just need someone to ask me the right questions =S

EDIT: Wanted to add that the program SpeedFan is also only giving back readings on 2 cores (Indicated by 2 long bars after "CPU Usage") instead of the 4 it also used to read...which just worries me more =/

More about : cores

a b à CPUs
February 17, 2012 10:14:38 PM

What does the windows task manager see?
m
l
February 17, 2012 10:37:14 PM

what should I be looking for in the task manager?
m
l
Related resources
February 17, 2012 10:41:24 PM

you should be looking at 4 graphs at the top and 1 graph on the bottom in the "performance" tab

Edit: The top graph is titled "CPU Usage". the bottom graph is titled "Memory"
m
l
February 17, 2012 10:59:02 PM

the cpu usage history graph is showing 2 separate graphs
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2012 11:39:25 PM

looks like you should just revert back to old bios.

there should be 4 graphs.
m
l
February 17, 2012 11:46:40 PM

I was afraid of that.. =/ Why would a BIOS update do that though, seems counter-intuitive.

Other then the obvious performance issues, would only having 2 of the 4 available damage anything? I only ask because the BIOS update fixed some blue screening problems.

It's obvious I have to revert to get all four back im just purely curious what are the 'repercussions' for keeping it this way any longer.

Any why doesn't GIGABYTE have a forum or something so I can complain there >_>
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2012 11:50:14 PM

probably just having a 2 core cpu instead of a 4 core one. Not too major if you just deal with it being slower.

Doubt anything bad long term as far as things getting worse goes.
m
l
February 17, 2012 11:52:40 PM

esrever said:
probably just having a 2 core cpu instead of a 4 core one. Not too major if you just deal with it being slower.

Doubt anything bad long term as far as things getting worse goes.

Ok ty, my last question is in order to revert it, do I just download the previous BIOS version and just apply it like anything else? (I used @BIOS to update it) I've never had to revert something so I want to make sure I don't bork the bios..
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
February 17, 2012 11:55:13 PM

it should work but before you do that you could try resetting the cmos and see if it helps.

removing the motherboard battery and putting it back after 5 secs does it and you can see if it helps, might be some weird settings that disabled things from the motherboard.
February 18, 2012 12:13:07 AM

esrever said:
it should work but before you do that you could try resetting the cmos and see if it helps.

removing the motherboard battery and putting it back after 5 secs does it and you can see if it helps, might be some weird settings that disabled things from the motherboard.

Rather a major update, I sort of did something similar to what you said, I went into the BIOS just to poke around (not like I know much about it but still) and I noticed in the advanced features that the line where it says Cores 3-4 it said disabled and Cores 1-2 enabled.

I checked the Help documentation for the update ( a massive oversight by me to not check it first ) and it said that after applying the update you should 'load optimized defaults' in the bios before progressing.

Well I did that and that line went from disabled to enabled, and it seems now the 4 cores are being read again.

My last thought here is I hope 'load optimized defaults' doesn't mess with anything im unaware of. My father who is rather paranoid thought that option would revert the settings back to what it was in the previous version. I'm sure thats a silly thought but I just find it strange that the update would 'by default' disable 2 cores but i guess i should cover my bases and ask if its okay to assume i didn't do anything wrong here right?
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2012 12:16:53 AM

should be no problem now. The bios probably just had some rather random default settings set so after you loaded it, it should be working fine.
m
l
February 18, 2012 12:19:04 AM

esrever said:
should be no problem now. The bios probably just had some rather random default settings set so after you loaded it, it should be working fine.

alright cool, ty for your help esrever.
m
l
February 18, 2012 12:20:03 AM

Best answer selected by exodusonfire.
m
l
!