Sign in with
Your question

Computer won't power up. Replaced power supply and motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
December 24, 2012 1:50:44 AM

I am working on an HP Media Center M7674N. Just replaced the motherboard and power supply and it still won't power up and I'm not sure where to trouble shoot from here. I've been having nightmares about this computer and am desperate for help.

Motherboard: ASUS P5BW-LA (Basswood)

Power supply: HP-Compaq HP-D3057F3R 300W
a b V Motherboard
a b ) Power supply
December 24, 2012 1:56:53 AM

Could be a dead CPU or a Dead Hard drive
m
l
December 24, 2012 2:05:47 AM

I'm pretty sure its not a dead hard drive. When I press the power button everything "flickers" for a second like its trying to turn on then nothing happens. The green light on the power supply lights up before I power it on but as soon as I hit the main power button it goes out and stays out. If I unplug it from the wall and wait 30-45 seconds then plug it back in then the light comes back on but does the same thing again as soon as I hit the power button.
m
l
Related resources
December 24, 2012 2:08:16 AM

Also I have completely unplugged and removed everything from the motherboard. The only things attached to the motherboard is the cpu and heatsink, the RAM, and then the power supply and it still does the same thing even when I trip the main power with a screwdriver. Also fyi this was after I pulled the motherboard out of the case.
m
l
December 24, 2012 5:00:51 AM

SirBeardsley12 said:
Also I have completely unplugged and removed everything from the motherboard. The only things attached to the motherboard is the cpu and heatsink, the RAM, and then the power supply and it still does the same thing even when I trip the main power with a screwdriver. Also fyi this was after I pulled the motherboard out of the case.

It could be that your motherboard has short circuited when you pulled it out of the case. Check your motherboard to see if a green light is on. If not, then try reinstalling the ram, reinstall the CPU, and if it still doesn't work, then it is definitely a short circuit
m
l
December 24, 2012 5:53:23 AM

Can you please explain what is displayer on your monitor as soon as you press the power button. And what is happening in side the case (fans spinning, what light a flickering).
m
l
December 24, 2012 11:22:24 AM

There is nothing displayed on the monitor. Basically as soon as I hit the power button, the computer dies. The power button doesn't light up, and the fans basically wiggle slightly like they had power to them for a millisecond. It acts like it tries to power up for less than a second and dies. This is when the light on the power supply turns off too. After this happens the computer won't do anything at all, like it has no power coming to it. If I unplug it from the wall for roughly a minute and then plug it back in, the power supply light will turn back on and if I hit the power button then it does the same thing I described above.
m
l
December 24, 2012 4:49:40 PM

My best guess is the CPU has died.
m
l
December 24, 2012 9:58:37 PM

Could there be any other problems besides the cpu? Is there anyway to test and see if the cpu has died?
m
l
December 24, 2012 10:06:37 PM

Place is it another motherboard that is compatible with the CPU. See how it functions. Another thing you could do is place the motherboard (with CPU) in another computer, everything other than the motherboard and CPU should be different (power supply). Even use a different brand power supply. Could I also see some pictures of you build before you press the power button and after?
m
l
January 2, 2013 2:23:12 AM

Well I replaced the CPU and it is still doing the same thing. Beginning to get quite disheartened about the whole thing and I am ready to just take it to the local computer repair place to let them deal with it. I will post some pictures of the build and a short youtube clip of the fan when I press the power button for any that is still interested in it.
m
l
January 2, 2013 2:37:07 AM

Here is the inages of the power supply indicator light before and after I press the power button.

Before: http://imageshack.us/a/img401/6724/imag0286u.jpg

After: http://imageshack.us/a/img189/3775/imag0287el.jpg

Note that the power light stays off after I press the power button until I unplug the 24-pin plug from the motherboard and then comes right back on as soon as I plug it back in. Unplugging the power supply from the wall has no effect.

And here is a Youtube clip of the fan when I push the power button:

http://youtu.be/egQ63XrJBBo

I can post more pictures of the build if needed.
m
l
April 4, 2013 11:14:51 AM

I am wondering if you ever found a solution to the problem. My HP dv6 is doing the same thing, I have replaced the motherboard and still not powering up. Please let me know, Sincerely Frustrated!!

m
l
June 2, 2013 11:44:35 AM

SirBeardsley12 said:
There is nothing displayed on the monitor. Basically as soon as I hit the power button, the computer dies. The power button doesn't light up, and the fans basically wiggle slightly like they had power to them for a millisecond. It acts like it tries to power up for less than a second and dies. This is when the light on the power supply turns off too. After this happens the computer won't do anything at all, like it has no power coming to it. If I unplug it from the wall for roughly a minute and then plug it back in, the power supply light will turn back on and if I hit the power button then it does the same thing I described above.

The same problem here with the same motherboard HP PC m7000 Asus P58W-LA motherboard
I think is the motherboard, tested all the other components and seems fine. I even removed the motherboard and replaced some of 5x KZG 16v 1000uF 8mm capacitors with brand new once, but no chance. I noticed on the board that all capacitors are fitted reverse, white stripes with a negative sign on them are on the opposite side to the white semicircle.
I will replace three more capacitors that are located on left side of Northbridge, if is not working I will give up.

m
l
July 16, 2013 6:12:21 AM

can i know how many rams you have?if more than one, try to test every single memory you have or try to test other memory that is surely woking
m
l
July 16, 2013 7:07:51 AM

If you refer to my problem, I have 4x512Mb DDR2 and all are ok. I checked them on other system/motherboard.
I am pretty sure that the motherboard is gone.
I have already changed it with different one, all are good now.
I will try to do a few more things to this one, the faulty one, if will not work, I will improve my soldering skills on it :) 
m
l
May 22, 2014 6:30:28 AM

It's the board. A PC will still power up with a bad CPU. Won't post but I reckon that's not the issue.
m
l
June 11, 2014 1:55:52 AM

I have the exact problem with my PC. I am wondering if you have found the solution to the problem. I'd appreciate if you could share it.
m
l
June 19, 2014 10:26:09 AM

I have a similar problem with my daughters compaq sr5707c the psu doesn't even spin I've changed cases thinking a switch was bad motherboards cpus hard drives nothing works
m
l
6 minutes ago

Try to loosen your screws, re-sit all ram and cpu and try to boot with it first. You only have to connect the A/C power into the power supply with the case open and see if the fans spins more than 5 secs. If they do then consider it booting and go from there. If not then one of your components has died.
m
l
5 minutes ago

Also when I said loosen screws I meant the motherboard's screws. I had this same problem and simply loosening some of the screws a bit solved it.
m
l
!