Sign in with
Your question

Cpu upgrade

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 17, 2012 9:57:08 PM

Hello,

Can you guys out there tell me if i can upgrade to a p4 2.66ghz northwood b/512kb L2/533 FSB or a p4 2.8ghz northwood c/512kb L2/800 FSB processor on an ASUS P4S333-VM motherboard? Presently i'm using a p4 1.7ghz proc.. Any inputs will be highly appreaciated. Thanks

More about : cpu upgrade

February 17, 2012 10:20:33 PM

What is your budget? I highly recommend upgrading your system, with that board you can only "upgrade" to a faster P4 but it's not worth.
m
l
a c 228 à CPUs
February 17, 2012 11:08:43 PM

To be honest the Pentium 4 has been obsolete since 2006 and was not even very good when it was new. Save your money and upgrade the entire computer. It would just be wasting money to try and make what you have now any faster.
m
l
Related resources
February 17, 2012 11:25:27 PM

A computer isn't something you can keep upgrading and maintaining piece-by-piece. Your system is obsolete and any upgrades you do will give you very low returns and cost you a lot of money that you could have spent buying modern parts.

I suggest you save up for a modern desktop. A sub-$400 Sandy Bridge Pentium build should be manageable and be at least 7-8x faster than what you have right now.
m
l
February 18, 2012 2:57:35 AM

Thanks guys for the prompt reply. My plan is to have the fastest p4 processor for my motherboard since i can buy surplus/used processor in my place relatively cheap. Besides, the unit will be used only for web surfing and other stuff that don't demand top of the line system. Also i just wanted to maximize my motherboard capability.

m
l
February 18, 2012 3:17:33 AM

p4 sucks even for web browsing.

what are the other specs of your system?

How much is the cpu upgrade going to be?

m
l
February 18, 2012 8:05:34 PM

thesnappyfingers said:
p4 sucks even for web browsing.

what are the other specs of your system?

How much is the cpu upgrade going to be?

Here are the specs of my system. P4 1.7 ghz on asus p4s333-vm mobo,
80gb hdd, windows xp professional edition, 1gb ddr1. The cpu upgrade would
be minimal as proc here cost really cheap as far as p4's are concerned. I intend to
buy a faster unit in the near future but for the moment a proc upgrade would suffice.
m
l
February 18, 2012 10:04:22 PM

here is a list of compatible cpus, according to asus, for your mobo pending upon which bios version you have

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/list.aspx?SLanguage=...

Still I am curious to what the cost is going to be.

That is one dated system. This is not an attempt at being insulting, but a system that old typically gets the boot.
m
l
February 19, 2012 4:21:23 AM

thesnappyfingers said:
here is a list of compatible cpus, according to asus, for your mobo pending upon which bios version you have

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/list.aspx?SLanguage=...

Still I am curious to what the cost is going to be.

That is one dated system. This is not an attempt at being insulting, but a system that old typically gets the boot.

The system is really outdated, no question about that. But with a proc update costing less than $3 dollars, i
think it's worth it. Anyway thanks for the ASUS web page link it does help a lot..
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 19, 2012 4:56:30 AM

$3 seems to be worth it. To be honest, everything is slow on any p4 imo, don't be expecting too much :p 
m
l
February 19, 2012 5:13:01 AM

Agree with it being worth it and with everything feeling slow on p4.

I just noticed that loneninja had already provided you with link to compatible CPUs. Thus making my info redundant and unnecessary. I apologize.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 19, 2012 8:30:07 AM

Yeah hard to beat a ~1Ghz upgrade for $5. Quite a few on Ebay.

The fastest supported is:

P4-2.60 GHz (400 FSB, L2 cache:512KB)
m
l
February 19, 2012 11:43:24 AM

Thank you all guys for the honest comments and expert suggestions. I'll then go for a P4-2.60 Ghz upgrade as suggested..

m
l
!