Gutting Dell Dimension XPS Gen 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dauntlessds

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
So I am wanting to gut the Dimension XPS Gen 2 and I have 2 main concerns with this:

1) I want to put it in a new case, I am looking at the Antec Lanboy Air and wondered if anyone knew if this is possible or not. Even if it requires a (little) modding and;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129092

2) I have found that the PSU connects to the motherboard with a 24-pin main connector. I am purchasing this PSu again because it has been AMAZING and I love modular everything.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

It has a 20+4 pin Main connector and I was wondering if that would work on the Dell motherboard. I know Dell likes their "Proprietary" EVERYTHING so
this is the main concern. If need be I can put the motherboard on a rack temporarily until I find a case that will work.

I am unfortunately having to slow upgrade to a new system because I can't drop the entire $600, so making this combo work with the Dimension XPS Gen 2 guts would be a dream come true.

Any help or enlightenment would be greatly appreciated! :D :D :D

I'm sorry but that's one of the silliest things I've ever read.
Why would you want to " find a case that will work " to put a very outdated, proprietary Dell motherboard in ? Even if just temporarily ?
IMO your best bet is to save your money till you can drop $600 at once.
Oh, and if you're planning on dropping $300 on a case and psu, might want to plan on dropping more than $600 for a new system.

jademoon81

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Agree costs to much to upgrade old technology. Look into barebone kits like tigerdirect.com and then just move ur new bones to a better case later on. My XPS mobo died and i decided to go AMD phenom black x6 and love it

dauntlessds

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012

Yeah he didn't have to be a d**k about it but that's the kind of patience that is developed from armchair technicians in forums all day. I appreciate the article along with your answer. I found some great info in there!

Status
Not open for further replies.