lamidue

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Hi

I am not sure which component to upgrade next in my homebuild PC. Therefore I ask you! :)

My budget for next component is about 200 $ and it's meant for gaming.

Current spec:

PSU: Corsair TX750W

MOBO: Gigabyte 890fx ud5 rev 2.0

CPU: Phenom II 955 BE

RAM: Corsair vengeance 2x4 gb 1600mhz CL8 ( 8-8-8-24 )

GPU: AMD 6950 1gb in crossfire

HDD: Seagate momentus XT 320 gb, hybrid

I have this idea that my CPU is the weakest link. But I am also unsure about my RAM, in the MOBO's manual, it says it handles: 'DDR3 1866(OC)/1333/1066 MHz'. Does that mean I have to overclock my ram to achieve 1866 MHz? (as they are 1600 mhz and therefore clocked down to 1333 MHz). I am a little lost in this.

So the question: What component should I upgrade? My RAM, MOBO or CPU?

Thank you for your time :hello:
Troels

I'd say overclock your CPU if you haven't already. Otherwise your system looks pretty good.

I do not see how you could get a significant upgrade for $200 with your components.

And that includes faster RAM. :)

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
Faster RAM is not going to improve your gaming performance significantly. OC'ing the CPU, like JSC said, is probably your best cheap solution. For $200 you can't upgrade both the CPU and mobo, which may be the route to go when you have the $$.

lamidue

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Okay. I actually OC'ed my cpu a little, some time ago, but it overheated and I had to turn it down. But, I Guess there are topics about OC'ing a Phenom II 955 on 'Tomshardware' as I understand it is popular for the purpose. I'll check it out :) Still, do you have some important advice?

I will leave the RAM for now.

Thank you! :D