PCI slot dust protection

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Cases
  • PCI
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
December 24, 2012 3:43:15 AM

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but it has to do with motherboards...

I'm looking for ways to fight DUST in my PC. I've considered/done blowing my rear fans inward across my CPU/Northbridge and putting filters on the outside of them, to PCI slot covers. Inward blowing fans creates positive pressure which helps to keep dust out by filtering the air going in. Air can leave however it wants to, through cracks (which would otherwise be pulling air and dust INTO the case) as well as the power supply/video card. Many cases now have holes and fans at the top of the case. A simple unscented dryer sheet on a large top case fan can give some filtration to the air going into the PC, although it does look unsightly. I recommend using a piece of black cloth or felt, although you have to be careful with felt because it too can create fine dust.

On my quest to find PCI-E slot covers I found these:

http://xsearch.xoxide.com/default.aspx?keywords=Lamptro...

http://www.xpcgear.com/nsearch.html?query=Vantec+PCI+%2...

I am unsure of whether or not they contain the necessary slot covers I need (2 for DDR3 RAM, 2 PCI-E, 2 PCI, and 1 PCI-E x1 slot).

These will help to ensure that grime stays off the contacts and out of the slots so I am looking for some quality ones. Preferrable color is BLACK.
Has anyone purchased these? Do they slip on and off nicely enough? Do they keep dust out? If anyone knows of anywhere where I can get better quality ones, let me know. Feel free to add anything relevant to the discussion.

More about : pci slot dust protection

Related resources
a b V Motherboard
December 24, 2012 4:22:54 AM

You are worrying too much. Just blow out the computer every 6 months and you'll be fine.
m
l
December 24, 2012 4:30:26 AM

:pfff: 

twelve25 said:
You are worrying too much. Just blow out the computer every 6 months and you'll be fine.

No, I am not worrying too much. $800 spent on a PC and for <$50 I'd like to keep it clean. I live in an apartment and the previous tenants were smokers. There is a dust in the carpet that gets everything nasty. We've used a steam cleaner on it but its deep in the mat and it comes out over time. Maybe you're just not a real enthusiast, or don't care about your stuff. I do preventative maintenance on aircraft so naturally my electro-mechanical devices at home see the same care.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 24, 2012 5:56:14 AM

The title of this topic has been edited by Proximon
m
l
December 24, 2012 6:14:14 AM

Thanks Prox. :)  I reported myself for using caps on the title. LOL
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 24, 2012 6:40:42 AM

JonnyDough said:
:pfff: 

No, I am not worrying too much. $800 spent on a PC and for <$50 I'd like to keep it clean. I live in an apartment and the previous tenants were smokers. There is a dust in the carpet that gets everything nasty. We've used a steam cleaner on it but its deep in the mat and it comes out over time. Maybe you're just not a real enthusiast, or don't care about your stuff. I do preventative maintenance on aircraft so naturally my electro-mechanical devices at home see the same care.

By all means, block 2/3 of your airflow with silly filters if it makes you feel better. The irony will be when your perfectly pristine components die from heat caused not by dust, but by dust protection measures.

m
l
December 24, 2012 9:37:15 AM

Dude, seriously. Stop trolling. I saw you trolling on the CPU Heirarchy list as well...
You have no idea what you're talking about. My PC is not about to burn up from a slight slowdown in air flow. This isn't a Pentium 4 rig, it's a 22nm Core i5.

Why don't you get off my thread before I have to contact the moderators ok?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 24, 2012 2:47:48 PM

I don't think you know what "trolling means", but I will refrain from commenting on your dust protection measures further. I honestly was trying to give you the best solution.
m
l
December 25, 2012 2:00:36 AM

A 15% reduction in fan throughput is nothing when I have four huge fans blowing in my full tower case. It won't even cause the motherboard to kick up the fan speed. As it is, it's nearly silent. Now if I had minimal airflow to start with, or loud 80mm fans I can see that making a difference. But most experts will agree that positive airflow is best, and that means filters on your intake fans. Maybe you haven't bought a case in awhile, but the high end ones all come with filters pre-installed. Mine does, I just want to filter out some finer particulates. I am also planning to turn at least one of the fans around. Also, hair, animal fur, skin flakes, mucous from sneezing and just general talking, lint, and anything kicked up from the floor can end up coating electronics. Electronics and plastics in general collect dust because of the charge. Top enthusiasts utilize protection measures against dust. That's why you'll find the best stuff on the obscure enthusiast online stores. So far I've found the best overall selection on FrozenCPU. I've shopped there before.
m
l
December 25, 2012 2:01:58 AM

I said you were trolling because "2/3rds" was either ignorant, or exaggerated. Either way, it was wrong.
m
l
!