PSP - Did Circuit City Pull a Fast One on Me?

Last response: in Video Games
March 26, 2005 5:25:21 AM

So I go to Circuit City tonight and ask if they have any PSPs left. I'm
expecting the guy to laugh me out of the store, but instead, he says "Yeah,
we've got 29 of them left."

He walks me over to where they have a bunch of empty PSP boxes stacked and
is talking me through all of the features, etc...

He tells me that the system comes with Spider-Man 2 movie and Twisted Metal
game. Price is $289.98. In addition, I tell him I want Tiger Woods golf.

So we go up to the customer service counter. I'm expecting him to hand me a
large box like the one he showed me on the floor. Instead, he hands me a
small little box, maybe half the size of a toaster. As he's ringing up the
order, I notice that the System rings up at $249.99 as the "Value Pack" and
then he rings the game up separately at $39.99. The total is $289.98, which
was the advertised price for the system including game.

I guess what bothers me is:

A) It seems rather sneaky to show a customer one box on the floor and then
hand them another when they get to the customer service counter. As a
result, I'm wondering if I received everything in the "Value Pack" that I am
supposed to have received. Does anybody know how the Value Pack stacks up
against the "bundles" (in terms of equipment, etc.) that have been
advertised for the same price?

B) Since he rang up Twisted Metal separately, did I necessarily have to buy
it? If not, I think I'll return it. I've heard nothing about that game,
and it doesn't look all that impressive on the box.

Thanks.
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 5:25:22 AM

"Ulysses" <ulysses@nospam.com> wrote in message
> So I go to Circuit City tonight and ask if they have any PSPs left. I'm
> expecting the guy to laugh me out of the store, but instead, he says
"Yeah,
> we've got 29 of them left."
>
> He walks me over to where they have a bunch of empty PSP boxes stacked and
> is talking me through all of the features, etc...
>
> He tells me that the system comes with Spider-Man 2 movie and Twisted
Metal
> game. Price is $289.98. In addition, I tell him I want Tiger Woods golf.
>
> So we go up to the customer service counter. I'm expecting him to hand me
> large box like the one he showed me on the floor. Instead, he hands me a
> small little box, maybe half the size of a toaster. As he's ringing up
the
> order, I notice that the System rings up at $249.99 as the "Value Pack"
and
> then he rings the game up separately at $39.99. The total is $289.98,
which
> was the advertised price for the system including game.
>
> I guess what bothers me is:
>
> A) It seems rather sneaky to show a customer one box on the floor and then
> hand them another when they get to the customer service counter. As a
> result, I'm wondering if I received everything in the "Value Pack" that I
am
> supposed to have received. Does anybody know how the Value Pack stacks up
> against the "bundles" (in terms of equipment, etc.) that have been
> advertised for the same price?
>
> B) Since he rang up Twisted Metal separately, did I necessarily have to
buy
> it? If not, I think I'll return it. I've heard nothing about that game,
> and it doesn't look all that impressive on the box.
>
> Thanks.

Some retailers are selling "bundles" with Twisted Metal or another game, but
you can get the basic Value Pack for $250. You don't *have* to buy TM if
you don't want to, and it sounds as if they weren't giving you any savings
on the game anyway. As for the boxes he was showing you, those were the
pre-launch display boxes. Nothing odd about showing you those, any more
than GameStop showing empty boxes before games are released...although once
the system has launched you would think he would simply show you the actual
box you will be getting.
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 5:25:22 AM

No company can FORCE you to buy extra product, it is against the law. The
just hope customers are too ignorant to know it.

What they sold you is the Value Pack and a ADD ON sale they make 100 points
on vs the $2 they make off the PSP.

Feel free to sue them.

"Ulysses" <ulysses@nospam.com> wrote in message
> So I go to Circuit City tonight and ask if they have any PSPs left. I'm
> expecting the guy to laugh me out of the store, but instead, he says
> "Yeah, we've got 29 of them left."
>
> He walks me over to where they have a bunch of empty PSP boxes stacked and
> is talking me through all of the features, etc...
>
> He tells me that the system comes with Spider-Man 2 movie and Twisted
> Metal game. Price is $289.98. In addition, I tell him I want Tiger Woods
> golf.
>
> So we go up to the customer service counter. I'm expecting him to hand me
> a large box like the one he showed me on the floor. Instead, he hands me
> a small little box, maybe half the size of a toaster. As he's ringing up
> the order, I notice that the System rings up at $249.99 as the "Value
> Pack" and then he rings the game up separately at $39.99. The total is
> $289.98, which was the advertised price for the system including game.
>
> I guess what bothers me is:
>
> A) It seems rather sneaky to show a customer one box on the floor and then
> hand them another when they get to the customer service counter. As a
> result, I'm wondering if I received everything in the "Value Pack" that I
> am supposed to have received. Does anybody know how the Value Pack stacks
> up against the "bundles" (in terms of equipment, etc.) that have been
> advertised for the same price?
>
> B) Since he rang up Twisted Metal separately, did I necessarily have to
> buy it? If not, I think I'll return it. I've heard nothing about that
> game, and it doesn't look all that impressive on the box.
>
> Thanks.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 7:11:25 AM

".

> I guess what bothers me is:
>
> A) It seems rather sneaky to show a customer one box on the floor and then
> hand them another when they get to the customer service counter. As a
> result, I'm wondering if I received everything in the "Value Pack" that I
am
> supposed to have received. Does anybody know how the Value Pack stacks up
> against the "bundles" (in terms of equipment, etc.) that have been
> advertised for the same price?
>
> B) Since he rang up Twisted Metal separately, did I necessarily have to
buy
> it? If not, I think I'll return it. I've heard nothing about that game,
> and it doesn't look all that impressive on the box.
>
> Thanks.

The value pack in the states as far as I am aware includes a 32mb memory
stick, the psp, a strap, power supply, head phones with a remote control and
a soft cover.

It seems as if there was no need for you to buy the extra game if there
wasnt any cash saving...it's my understanding that the spiderman2 movie is
free of charge for the 1st million units sold.
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 1:38:17 AM

It sounds like they included TM as part of a mini-bundle.

Have you ever played TM on the PS2? It's a terrific car combat game, and
the PSP version plays just as well, with possibly even bigger environments
to boot.

The game has also gotten some of the best reviews of the launch titles; IGN
gave it an 8 out of 10, and anything they give an 8 or higher to is a sweet
game, believe me...

So -- you might want to rethink returning it...

"Ulysses" <ulysses@nospam.com> wrote in message
> So I go to Circuit City tonight and ask if they have any PSPs left. I'm
> expecting the guy to laugh me out of the store, but instead, he says
"Yeah,
> we've got 29 of them left."
>
> He walks me over to where they have a bunch of empty PSP boxes stacked and
> is talking me through all of the features, etc...
>
> He tells me that the system comes with Spider-Man 2 movie and Twisted
Metal
> game. Price is $289.98. In addition, I tell him I want Tiger Woods golf.
>
> So we go up to the customer service counter. I'm expecting him to hand me
> large box like the one he showed me on the floor. Instead, he hands me a
> small little box, maybe half the size of a toaster. As he's ringing up
the
> order, I notice that the System rings up at $249.99 as the "Value Pack"
and
> then he rings the game up separately at $39.99. The total is $289.98,
which
> was the advertised price for the system including game.
>
> I guess what bothers me is:
>
> A) It seems rather sneaky to show a customer one box on the floor and then
> hand them another when they get to the customer service counter. As a
> result, I'm wondering if I received everything in the "Value Pack" that I
am
> supposed to have received. Does anybody know how the Value Pack stacks up
> against the "bundles" (in terms of equipment, etc.) that have been
> advertised for the same price?
>
> B) Since he rang up Twisted Metal separately, did I necessarily have to
buy
> it? If not, I think I'll return it. I've heard nothing about that game,
> and it doesn't look all that impressive on the box.
>
> Thanks.

Anonymous
March 27, 2005 1:59:36 PM

"Ulysses" <ulysses@nospam.com> wrote in

> I guess what bothers me is:
>
> A) It seems rather sneaky to show a customer one box on the floor and
> then hand them another when they get to the customer service counter.
> As a result, I'm wondering if I received everything in the "Value
> Pack" that I am supposed to have received. Does anybody know how the
> Value Pack stacks up against the "bundles" (in terms of equipment,
> etc.) that have been advertised for the same price?

The problem I think is that the PSP value pack is different at each
store...

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
March 30, 2005 8:49:23 AM

Ulysses:

> A) It seems rather sneaky to show a customer one box on the floor and
> then hand them another when they get to the customer service counter.

It is... if you're buying a box. You're after the contents of the box,
not the box itself; otherwise, offer to buy the box you were shown.

> As a result, I'm wondering if I received everything in the "Value
> Pack" that I am supposed to have received. Does anybody know how the
> Value Pack stacks up against the "bundles" (in terms of equipment,
> etc.) that have been advertised for the same price?

Sony controls the price of the value pack... everyone from Walmart to
Best Buy to your local game store will be selling them at the same
price.

> B) Since he rang up Twisted Metal separately, did I necessarily have
> to buy it? If not, I think I'll return it. I've heard nothing about
> that game, and it doesn't look all that impressive on the box.

Take it back.

Demand was expected to be high and most retailers expected a rush of
people buying them for resale on ebay, like what happened with the PS2,
so some retailers (Circuit City, EB, Gamestop) forced people to buy
stuff they didn't necessarily want.
--
Mac Cool
Anonymous

Kenner Costen wrote:
> No company can FORCE you to buy extra product, it is against the law.
The
> just hope customers are too ignorant to know it.
>
> What they sold you is the Value Pack and a ADD ON sale they make 100
points
> on vs the $2 they make off the PSP.
>
> Feel free to sue them.

Maybe someone we'll be able to sue videogame pirates.
!