Canon D20 vs Canon Digital Rebel XT

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 24, 2005 7:43:02 PM

Eventually I am going to purchase a DSLR. I read some comparative
reviews of the D20 and the DRXT and found very little difference.

The D20 is a little larger having a somewhat larger grip.
The D20 is constructed better.
The D20 has a faster rapid fire mode and can take more frames.

Basically the article said that this is all you get for an additional
$550 street price. The quality of the results using the same lens is
basically the same and most people will not be able to tell the
difference. The extra .2MP does not translate into anything.

So, if you are not a pro and do indeed take care of your equipment are
you better off buying a DRXT and a couple of additional lenses or find
some justification (need some help in finding one) to get a D20. If
money was really not object I would get the D20 just because of prestige.

Besides, with the DRXT I could accumulate an entire system of Canon
lenses and then a few years down the road buy the Great Grand Successor
to the D20 and be really ahead of the game. And that camera may be much
more camera for a great deal less.

Any comments.
April 24, 2005 7:43:03 PM

In article <a8Pae.59$Gd7.49@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>, measekite
<measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Besides, with the DRXT I could accumulate an entire system of Canon
> lenses and then a few years down the road buy the Great Grand Successor
> to the D20 and be really ahead of the game. And that camera may be much
> more camera for a great deal less.

That is why I have an XT on the way. I have a 10D which was quickly
supplanted. I think there will be a few more camera generations before
a DSLR plateau is reached. I think both the XT and 20D are still
transitional cameras on the way to a state of the art DSLR. Better to
get the XT than spend more on a 20D.

--
Charles
Anonymous

One important difference that matters to some users (like me) is that
the Rebel lacks a spot metering capability. Canon uses that feature to
prevent pros from using the Rebel as a 'cheaper alternative'.

--Wilt
Related resources
April 24, 2005 8:18:51 PM

Does the XT have limitations (such as EV for flash) that the Rebel has?

I have Rebel and recently attended my cousin's wedding. I didn't use
flash so I wouldn't disturb the paid photographer. It was rather dark in
the main area, event though there were bright stage lights shinging down
from the ceiling. I used 400 ISO. Grainy, and I got snapshots instead of
pictures. However, the Rebel had a lot of trouble focusing in the low
light. I got a lot of out of focus pictures even though the camera
thought it was focused.

Charles wrote:
> In article <a8Pae.59$Gd7.49@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>, measekite
> <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Besides, with the DRXT I could accumulate an entire system of Canon
>>lenses and then a few years down the road buy the Great Grand Successor
>>to the D20 and be really ahead of the game. And that camera may be much
>>more camera for a great deal less.
>

> That is why I have an XT on the way. I have a 10D which was quickly
> supplanted. I think there will be a few more camera generations before
> a DSLR plateau is reached. I think both the XT and 20D are still
> transitional cameras on the way to a state of the art DSLR. Better to
> get the XT than spend more on a 20D.

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 8:59:17 PM

Charles wrote:

>In article <a8Pae.59$Gd7.49@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>, measekite
><measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Besides, with the DRXT I could accumulate an entire system of Canon
>>lenses and then a few years down the road buy the Great Grand Successor
>>to the D20 and be really ahead of the game. And that camera may be much
>>more camera for a great deal less.
>>

>That is why I have an XT on the way. I have a 10D which was quickly
>supplanted. I think there will be a few more camera generations before
>a DSLR plateau is reached. I think both the XT and 20D are still
>transitional cameras on the way to a state of the art DSLR. Better to
>get the XT than spend more on a 20D.

That seems to make a lot of sense.
April 24, 2005 9:10:52 PM

> Eventually I am going to purchase a DSLR. I read some comparative reviews
> of the D20 and the DRXT and found very little difference.
>
> The D20 is a little larger having a somewhat larger grip.
> The D20 is constructed better.
> The D20 has a faster rapid fire mode and can take more frames.
>
> Basically the article said that this is all you get for an additional $550
> street price. The quality of the results using the same lens is basically
> the same and most people will not be able to tell the difference. The
> extra .2MP does not translate into anything.
>
> So, if you are not a pro and do indeed take care of your equipment are you
> better off buying a DRXT and a couple of additional lenses or find some
> justification (need some help in finding one) to get a D20. If money was
> really not object I would get the D20 just because of prestige.
>
> Besides, with the DRXT I could accumulate an entire system of Canon lenses
> and then a few years down the road buy the Great Grand Successor to the
> D20 and be really ahead of the game. And that camera may be much more
> camera for a great deal less.
>
> Any comments.

The only negative comment I've seen about the XT (350D) is the small size of
the body, to some this could be an advantage to others a disadvantage.
Otherwise I generally agree with your comments, for the money the 350D looks
a good bet.
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 9:10:53 PM

"dylan" <no@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:D 4ggei$2hh$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...

> "measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Eventually I am going to purchase a DSLR. I read some comparative
>> reviews of the D20 and the DRXT and found very little difference.
>>
>> The D20 is a little larger having a somewhat larger grip.
>> The D20 is constructed better.
>> The D20 has a faster rapid fire mode and can take more frames.
>>
>> Basically the article said that this is all you get for an additional
>> $550 street price. The quality of the results using the same lens is
>> basically the same and most people will not be able to tell the
>> difference. The extra .2MP does not translate into anything.
>>
>> So, if you are not a pro and do indeed take care of your equipment are
>> you better off buying a DRXT and a couple of additional lenses or find
>> some justification (need some help in finding one) to get a D20. If
>> money was really not object I would get the D20 just because of prestige.
>>
>> Besides, with the DRXT I could accumulate an entire system of Canon
>> lenses and then a few years down the road buy the Great Grand Successor
>> to the D20 and be really ahead of the game. And that camera may be much
>> more camera for a great deal less.
>>
>> Any comments.
>
> The only negative comment I've seen about the XT (350D) is the small size
> of the body, to some this could be an advantage to others a disadvantage.
> Otherwise I generally agree with your comments, for the money the 350D
> looks a good bet.

In my case, an advantage. I'm not a pro and I don't like lugging equipment
around. I treat my equipment well, so the extra durability is not a
necessity for me. I don't take a lot of continuous photos so the framing
rate and buffer are not a concern,although the XT is no slouch here (much
improved over the original dRebel).

If the XT fills the need well enough, I'd apply the extra cash towards
lenses. Very important - don't blow your budget on a expensive camera if
your going to handicap your photography by not having the lenses you need.
John
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 9:10:54 PM

JohnR66 wrote:
> "dylan" <no@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:D 4ggei$2hh$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...
>>
>> "measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Eventually I am going to purchase a DSLR. I read some comparative
>>> reviews of the D20 and the DRXT and found very little difference.
>>>
>>> The D20 is a little larger having a somewhat larger grip.
>>> The D20 is constructed better.
>>> The D20 has a faster rapid fire mode and can take more frames.
>>>
>>> Basically the article said that this is all you get for an
>>> additional $550 street price. The quality of the results using
>>> the
>>> same lens is basically the same and most people will not be able
>>> tell the difference. The extra .2MP does not translate into
>>> anything. So, if you are not a pro and do indeed take care of your
>>> equipment
>>> are you better off buying a DRXT and a couple of additional lenses
>>> or find some justification (need some help in finding one) to get
>>> D20. If money was really not object I would get the D20 just
>>> because of prestige. Besides, with the DRXT I could accumulate an
>>> entire system of Canon
>>> lenses and then a few years down the road buy the Great Grand
>>> Successor to the D20 and be really ahead of the game. And that
>>> camera may be much more camera for a great deal less.
>>>
>>> Any comments.
>>
>> The only negative comment I've seen about the XT (350D) is the
>> small
>> size of the body, to some this could be an advantage to others a
>> disadvantage. Otherwise I generally agree with your comments, for
>> the money the 350D looks a good bet.
>>
> In my case, an advantage. I'm not a pro and I don't like lugging
> equipment around. I treat my equipment well, so the extra durability
> is not a necessity for me. I don't take a lot of continuous photos
> so
> the framing rate and buffer are not a concern,although the XT is no
> slouch here (much improved over the original dRebel).
>
> If the XT fills the need well enough, I'd apply the extra cash
> towards
> lenses. Very important - don't blow your budget on a expensive
> camera
> if your going to handicap your photography by not having the lenses
> you need. John

I think John's advice is good.

It seems to me that for most folks, bulk and ruggedness aside, the
single salient sacrifice in selecting the RebXT over the 20D is ease
of control. It may be a lack of acclimatiztion, but the 20D gets out
of the way a little better. Maybe the compact form of the RebXT
required a more crowded control "panel".

Otherwise, to the best of my current ability to discriminate, the
output is very similar with the same lenses and subjects.

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

> Eventually I am going to purchase a DSLR. I read some comparative reviews
> of the D20 and the DRXT and found very little difference.
>
> The D20 is a little larger having a somewhat larger grip.
> The D20 is constructed better.
> The D20 has a faster rapid fire mode and can take more frames.
>
> Basically the article said that this is all you get for an additional $550
> street price. The quality of the results using the same lens is basically
> the same and most people will not be able to tell the difference. The
> extra .2MP does not translate into anything.
>
> So, if you are not a pro and do indeed take care of your equipment are you
> better off buying a DRXT and a couple of additional lenses or find some
> justification (need some help in finding one) to get a D20. If money was
> really not object I would get the D20 just because of prestige.
>
> Besides, with the DRXT I could accumulate an entire system of Canon lenses
> and then a few years down the road buy the Great Grand Successor to the
> D20 and be really ahead of the game. And that camera may be much more
> camera for a great deal less.
>
> Any comments.

A few 20Ds have lockup problems (mine is one). Have not heard (yet) about
that issue with the XT.
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 10:56:26 PM

"wilt" <wiltw@aol.com> wrote in message
> One important difference that matters to some users (like me) is that
> the Rebel lacks a spot metering capability. Canon uses that feature to
> prevent pros from using the Rebel as a 'cheaper alternative'.
>
> --Wilt

The 20D lacks a spot meter, too. It has a "partial spot," or an area
equivalent to 9% of the viewfinder.
I will agree, that is one thing that Canon uses to differentiate between pro
and non-pro cameras...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

On 24 Apr 2005 11:39:44 -0700, "wilt" <wiltw@aol.com> wrote:

>One important difference that matters to some users (like me) is that
>the Rebel lacks a spot metering capability. Canon uses that feature to
>prevent pros from using the Rebel as a 'cheaper alternative'.

The 20D doesn't spot meter either.

"Man came silently into the world."

Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
_The Phenomenon Of Man_
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 1:51:20 AM

> Eventually I am going to purchase a DSLR. I read some comparative reviews
> of the D20 and the DRXT and found very little difference.
>
> The D20 is a little larger having a somewhat larger grip.
> The D20 is constructed better.
> The D20 has a faster rapid fire mode and can take more frames.
>
> Basically the article said that this is all you get for an additional $550
> street price. The quality of the results using the same lens is basically
> the same and most people will not be able to tell the difference. The
> extra .2MP does not translate into anything.
>
> So, if you are not a pro and do indeed take care of your equipment are you
> better off buying a DRXT and a couple of additional lenses or find some
> justification (need some help in finding one) to get a D20. If money was
> really not object I would get the D20 just because of prestige.
>
> Besides, with the DRXT I could accumulate an entire system of Canon lenses
> and then a few years down the road buy the Great Grand Successor to the
> D20 and be really ahead of the game. And that camera may be much more
> camera for a great deal less.
>
> Any comments.

IMHO Size does matter!! I went to the local camera shop just after the XT
was released to look it over and buy one. Coming from the DRebel I was very
excited about the enhancements. When the clerk handed me the camera I was
quite surprised and very disappointed at the size. It's way too small if
you ask me. The one I held had the kit lens and I found my hands cramped
and actually hitting each other while zooming. I laso found the small size
and weight more difficult to steady in my hand. I like the weight of the
300D. It's feels more balanced in my hand.

Other items I didn't like were the battery change, I'm not thrilled with
having to carry around two sets of batteries and chargers and some items
that used to be easily set by buttons are now many items such as ISO and FEC
(as compared to hacked 300D firmware).

In the end I decided to save my pennies and go with the 20D. I hope to pick
one up with in the next few weeks.

--

Rob
April 25, 2005 1:54:30 AM

measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in news:a8Pae.59$Gd7.49
@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:

> Eventually I am going to purchase a DSLR. I read some comparative
> reviews of the D20 and the DRXT and found very little difference.
>
> The D20 is a little larger having a somewhat larger grip.
> The D20 is constructed better.
> The D20 has a faster rapid fire mode and can take more frames.

The larger size of the 20D can be an advantage or disadvantage, go to a
store and handle both to decide for yourself. Personally I would pay a
couple of hundred more for a more comfortable camera.

The 20D is constructed better, but the 350D is unlikely to fall apart in
your hands. I don't think I would pay more than $100 at the most for this
difference.

The 5 shots per second is noticeably faster than 3 shots per second. This
could be worthwhile if you shoot sports or any other fast action (birds in
flight, kids at play, etc). I would value this feature highly and it is
probably be worth paying a few hundred more for it. The question is
whether or not you are willing to pay more for this feature.

The result of these differences is that if my 10D was destroyed and I had
some insurance money to spend, I would buy the 20D. When you purchase a D-
SLR, you need to decide if you are willing to pay the extra for the better
camera, if you don't see the features as important to you then you can save
some money.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 16-Apr-05)

"Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> writes:

> "MarkH" <markat@atdot.dot.dot> wrote in message
>> "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> wrote in
>>
>>> The 20D lacks a spot meter, too. It has a "partial spot," or an area
>>> equivalent to 9% of the viewfinder.
>>> I will agree, that is one thing that Canon uses to differentiate
>>> between pro and non-pro cameras...
>>
>> This is the same as on my 10D, for me it is no big deal. I can always use
>> manual settings, snap a shot and then check the histogram.
>>
>> Obviously for some people this is a big deal and they feel that they need
>> the spot meter. Different people have different needs.
>>
> I got used to using a spot meter with an old 1% Sekonic, then the TTL ones
> on my 1n and A2. I found it useful for portraits/headshots/figure studies,
> and really do miss it on my 20D.

I can certainly understand the argument that you want to minimize
change to your working procedures. But I have some trouble believing
in situations where there's time to use a spot meter, but not time to
use the histogram.
April 25, 2005 7:59:44 AM

"Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> wrote in

> The 20D lacks a spot meter, too. It has a "partial spot," or an area
> equivalent to 9% of the viewfinder.
> I will agree, that is one thing that Canon uses to differentiate
> between pro and non-pro cameras...

This is the same as on my 10D, for me it is no big deal. I can always use
manual settings, snap a shot and then check the histogram.

Obviously for some people this is a big deal and they feel that they need
the spot meter. Different people have different needs.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 16-Apr-05)
understand binary and those that don't"
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 7:59:45 AM

"MarkH" <markat@atdot.dot.dot> wrote in message
> "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> wrote in
>
>> The 20D lacks a spot meter, too. It has a "partial spot," or an area
>> equivalent to 9% of the viewfinder.
>> I will agree, that is one thing that Canon uses to differentiate
>> between pro and non-pro cameras...
>
> This is the same as on my 10D, for me it is no big deal. I can always use
> manual settings, snap a shot and then check the histogram.
>
> Obviously for some people this is a big deal and they feel that they need
> the spot meter. Different people have different needs.
>

> --
> Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
> See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 16-Apr-05)
> "There are 10 types of people, those that
> understand binary and those that don't"

I got used to using a spot meter with an old 1% Sekonic, then the TTL ones
on my 1n and A2. I found it useful for portraits/headshots/figure studies,
and really do miss it on my 20D.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 9:30:48 PM

Are you talking about the DRXT?

Ken wrote:

> Does the XT have limitations (such as EV for flash) that the Rebel has?
>
> I have Rebel and recently attended my cousin's wedding. I didn't use
> flash so I wouldn't disturb the paid photographer. It was rather dark
> in the main area, event though there were bright stage lights shinging
> down from the ceiling. I used 400 ISO. Grainy, and I got snapshots
> instead of pictures. However, the Rebel had a lot of trouble focusing
> in the low light. I got a lot of out of focus pictures even though the
> camera thought it was focused.
>
> Charles wrote:
>
>> In article <a8Pae.59$Gd7.49@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>, measekite
>> <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Besides, with the DRXT I could accumulate an entire system of Canon
>>> lenses and then a few years down the road buy the Great Grand
>>> Successor to the D20 and be really ahead of the game. And that
>>> camera may be much more camera for a great deal less.
>>

>> That is why I have an XT on the way. I have a 10D which was quickly
>> supplanted. I think there will be a few more camera generations before
>> a DSLR plateau is reached. I think both the XT and 20D are still
>> transitional cameras on the way to a state of the art DSLR. Better to
>> get the XT than spend more on a 20D.

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 10:03:08 PM

"David Dyer-Bennet" <dd-b@dd-b.net> wrote:
> "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> writes:
>

> > I got used to using a spot meter with an old 1% Sekonic, then the TTL
ones
> > on my 1n and A2. I found it useful for portraits/headshots/figure
studies,
> > and really do miss it on my 20D.
>
> I can certainly understand the argument that you want to minimize
> change to your working procedures. But I have some trouble believing
> in situations where there's time to use a spot meter, but not time to
> use the histogram.

If the light is changing and you want to take a lot of shots of the same
subject (e.g. a stage show with a hyperactive twit running the lights), then
an in-camera spot meter is incredibly powerful: set the exposure
compensation to place the subject where you want it and shoot away. (You may
need to do lock exposure and AF and recompose.)

Spot meters are not just for zone system landscapes.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
April 25, 2005 10:47:54 PM

Yes the DRXT.

measekite wrote:
> Are you talking about the DRXT?
>
> Ken wrote:
>
>> Does the XT have limitations (such as EV for flash) that the Rebel has?
>>
>> I have Rebel and recently attended my cousin's wedding. I didn't use
>> flash so I wouldn't disturb the paid photographer. It was rather dark
>> in the main area, event though there were bright stage lights shinging
>> down from the ceiling. I used 400 ISO. Grainy, and I got snapshots
>> instead of pictures. However, the Rebel had a lot of trouble focusing
>> in the low light. I got a lot of out of focus pictures even though the
>> camera thought it was focused.
>>
>> Charles wrote:

>>> That is why I have an XT on the way. I have a 10D which was quickly
>>> supplanted. I think there will be a few more camera generations before
>>> a DSLR plateau is reached. I think both the XT and 20D are still
>>> transitional cameras on the way to a state of the art DSLR. Better to
>>> get the XT than spend more on a 20D.

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 2:57:31 AM

In message <GNqdnafzC_-3YvbfRVn-1w@comcast.com>,
Ken <kewaynco@comcast.net> wrote:

>Does the XT have limitations (such as EV for flash) that the Rebel has?
>
>I have Rebel and recently attended my cousin's wedding. I didn't use
>flash so I wouldn't disturb the paid photographer. It was rather dark in
>the main area, event though there were bright stage lights shinging down
>from the ceiling. I used 400 ISO. Grainy, and I got snapshots instead of
>pictures. However, the Rebel had a lot of trouble focusing in the low
>light. I got a lot of out of focus pictures even though the camera
>thought it was focused.

Your mistake was in shooting at ISO 400. If ISO 400 was noisy, then the
images were under-exposed and should have been shot at a higher ISO.

An ISO 400 shot two stops under-exposed is much noiser than an ISO 800
shot one stop under-exposed; both have the exact same exposure on the
sensor and and aperture/shutter parameters.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 9:42:32 AM

In message <m2wtqre4lq.fsf@gw.dd-b.net>,
David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@dd-b.net> wrote:

>I can certainly understand the argument that you want to minimize
>change to your working procedures. But I have some trouble believing
>in situations where there's time to use a spot meter, but not time to
>use the histogram.

The histogram would be much nicer, if it were true RGB, and was totally
RAW in RAW mode, and made it easier to see clipping (my histograms do
not stack all the clipped pixels at the highest level; they are simply
missing).
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 9:45:01 AM

In message <k-idnd01M5gOgfHfRVn-pA@comcast.com>,
"Charles Schuler" <charleschuler@comcast.net> wrote:

>A few 20Ds have lockup problems (mine is one). Have not heard (yet) about
>that issue with the XT.

How many different batteries has this happened with? Was it with new or
old batteries?

I have 5 bp511-type batteries, and I have had only about 4 or 5 lockups,
and they happened on the same day, only while using a particular
battery. Unfortunately, I did not mark the battery.
--

John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
!