Sign in with
Your question

Dell Inspiron 1545 Power Pin

Last response: in Motherboards
December 24, 2012 4:20:29 AM

The charging port on my Inspiron 1545 is broken. A small plastic piece was attached to my charger (cable) when I removed the cable. I have an image of it below (the red circle part). When I plug in the charger the laptop works but does not charge, if the charger slips out, which it often does the computer turn off. How do I properly re-insert the plastic piece? When I try putting it in, it sticks out of the slot.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2w3ti11.jpg
December 24, 2012 4:52:41 AM

I would just like to use the parts I currently have, I still have that little plastic piece, I would just like to know how to properly put it back in the jack.
m
l
Related resources
December 24, 2012 5:49:58 AM

Help please?
m
l
December 24, 2012 4:48:58 PM

Anyone?
m
l
December 24, 2012 10:02:03 PM

Anyone?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 24, 2012 10:10:02 PM

Hi :) 

I own a laptop repair company....

There is only one answer...

The WHOLE charging socket needs replacing and as its soldered to the motherboard, you need to take it to a laptop repair shop....for a new one to be soldered on... and it costs a LOT...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
December 24, 2012 10:27:56 PM

Hi,

I contacted Dell a little while back (my warranty is long gone) and they said that it would be possible for one to renter the plastic piece. Since my warranty is out they didn't explain to me how I could do this. I just want to know how to do this.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 24, 2012 10:39:39 PM

ykisana said:
Hi,

I contacted Dell a little while back (my warranty is long gone) and they said that it would be possible for one to renter the plastic piece. Since my warranty is out they didn't explain to me how I could do this. I just want to know how to do this.

We do this repair ALL the time.... you CANNOT reinsert the plastic piece..it has metal parts that connect to the inner socket and allow charging...

Dell wouldn't know their bottom from their elbow lol...you really think you were talking to an engineer ?

The WHOLE socket (left in your picture) needs replacing... NO OTHER WAY ...

m
l
December 24, 2012 10:43:38 PM

Okay. But the plastic piece has not metal parts. It has no cracks, and it slipped right off. Is there any way I can reinsert it. Can you give me a picture of the plastic piece, just to see if we are talking about the same part.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 24, 2012 10:47:34 PM

ykisana said:
Okay. But the plastic piece has not metal parts. It has no cracks, and it slipped right off. Is there any way I can reinsert it. Can you give me a picture of the plastic piece, just to see if we are talking about the same part.

You have your answer, no matter how much you don't like it....

m
l
December 24, 2012 10:55:43 PM

Could I get the picture?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 24, 2012 11:16:47 PM

ykisana said:
Could I get the picture?

Are you serious ?

Its after 1 am on Christmas morning...you expect me to drive to one of my shops, get the workshop keys, drive to one of my workshops , then take a picture for you.... lolllllllllllllllllllllllllll

You already have your answer...take it to a Laptop repair shop.....or live with it as it is....

m
l
December 26, 2012 12:20:17 PM

Brett928S2 said:

I own a laptop repair company....

There is only one answer...

The WHOLE charging socket needs replacing and as its soldered to the motherboard, you need to take it to a laptop repair shop....for a new one to be soldered on... and it costs a LOT...

Hey Brett,
I have this exact problem and I know I am going to have to take it to a repair shop to get it repaired. You said it costs a lot- how much would this cost to be repaired (or roughly how much your company charges) just so I have a rough idea what I'm letting myself in for on te money side :/ 
Thank you,
Kerry
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 26, 2012 12:29:26 PM

kerry21 said:
Hey Brett,
I have this exact problem and I know I am going to have to take it to a repair shop to get it repaired. You said it costs a lot- how much would this cost to be repaired (or roughly how much your company charges) just so I have a rough idea what I'm letting myself in for on te money side :/ 
Thank you,
Kerry

Hi Kerry :) 

We charge £109.80 (UK)

Thats two hours labour at £50 per hour to strip the laptop totally, remove the motherboard, order in the correct charging socket (there are HUNDREDS of different ones) then desolder the old socket, solder on the new one , and then rebuild the lappy... then test and guarantee for 12 months.

So £100 for the labour and £9.80 for the socket...

m
l
December 26, 2012 12:38:20 PM

Thanks for replying so quickly Brett. Thanks for the figure, geez that's a lot but I guess it just needs to happen. I live in the South East of England, may I ask where your company is situated roughly?

Thank you for your help, it's so useful.
Kerry
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 26, 2012 2:36:49 PM

kerry21 said:
Thanks for replying so quickly Brett. Thanks for the figure, geez that's a lot but I guess it just needs to happen. I live in the South East of England, may I ask where your company is situated roughly?

Thank you for your help, it's so useful.
Kerry

Hi Kerry :) 

I am on the South coast but never sell anything to users here as it would bias my advice...

Most Laptop repair companies like mine will do a charging socket (if they don't they are rubbish) lol...

Just ring around for prices.... but ask about what warranty they give if cheaper than my companies prices...

m
l
December 26, 2012 2:39:55 PM

Hi Brett,
Ah well that's okay anyways as I'm not near the coast but thank you for the advice you have give and ill get around to doing that in the New Year. Enjoy the holidays.

Kerry :) 
m
l
January 1, 2013 6:42:53 PM

I don't think we are talking about the same part. The picture that you showed me is not the piece I talking about, it's all plastic and very small.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 1, 2013 7:34:50 PM

ykisana said:
I don't think we are talking about the same part. The picture that you showed me is not the piece I talking about, it's all plastic and very small.

It is PART of the charging socket.... the WHOLE socket needs replacing INCLUDING that part...

m
l
January 28, 2013 12:43:04 AM

Any help?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 28, 2013 12:47:16 AM

ykisana said:
Any help?

You already had your answer...

m
l
January 28, 2013 1:20:01 AM

I would just like to know how to insert it without it sticking out, even if it doesn't function properly.
m
l
!