BIOS update

Hi! I'm new here so please bear with me if I will ask silly questions.

Recently I got myself RAM upgrade for my old computer. Problem is, that my BIOS is showing only half of it and same with Windows (using Win7 64bit home edition). I installed 2x2Gb from my 2x1Gb. BIOS is only showing 2,44Gb installed, Windows, on the other hand, is showing 4Gb installed, but only 2,44Gb available. I presume, that it can be fixed by upgrading my BIOS, as from what I found on the internet my motherboard can have 4Gb of memory installed.

I managed to find some specs on the motherboard:
Board: Packard Bell BV PT890-8237A
Serial Number: ULNN73807204
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD PBSANFMB.0900 07/30/2007

And on the mainboard itself I found:
FOXCONN N15235
PT8907MB-8ERS2H
Chipsets: VIA VT8237A and VIA VT6308P

I would really appreciate any help with BIOS update or at least explanation why it is only showing half of installed memory.
7 answers Last reply
More about bios update
  1. Try installing only one stick and booting. Then, try again with the other stick. If it doesn't boot on one or the other, then its probably a bad stick of RAM.
  2. Already tried that, both sticks are working fine. I found, that some people have similar problems, but for most of the time it was unsolved or BIOS version problems. Thanks for the reply though.
  3. You can try a BIOS update. Just follow the instructions from either your motherboard manual or the manufacturer's website. It looks like an older board so it might be a little more difficult than flashing on newer motherboards. Does the BIOS have any options for flashing the BIOS?
  4. Unfortunately BIOS have no options to update. I tried Packard Bell website, but motherboard is almost 6 years old, so I couldn't even find this model on their support website. Flashing would probably require old win98 startup disk of some sort, I presume. I was looking for updates all over the internet with no luck.
  5. Ok. Here is what I found at HP.
    http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=3746749&swItem=pv-61548-2&prodNameId=3760967&swEnvOID=2098&swLang=8&taskId=101&mode=4&idx=2

You can give it a whirl as it doesn't give much instruction on the page. Maybe there is a Readme associated with the update but this is the best that I could do.
  6. I'll check it out. Thanks a lot for the help!
  7. I tried HP support BIOS update. Didn't work very well, but I managed to restore the old one. I'll keep looking, maybe I will have more luck.
Ask a new question

Read More

Chipsets BIOS Motherboards