Sign in with
Your question

Flashing Underscore on Boot -- Brand New Issue

Last response: in Systems
November 17, 2011 4:52:31 PM

Hey all.

Up until yesterday morning, my new custom machine had been running great. I put it together about 3 weeks ago and have had no problems at all.

Well, since yesterday morning, all that happens is that I boot up my computer, it goes through the ASUS boot screens, and then gives me a blank screen with a flashing underscore in the top left hand corner.

I have tried to change my boot priority to optical drive over HD so that I could reinstall windows, but it will never get past the flashing underscore screen. (Been seeing reinstalling windows as the fix for this issue as it seems to be because of a screwed up file for the operating system.)

It seems like this is hardware problem now. Considering that the machine is posting, what other pieces of hardware could be bad? Please note that I grabbed a new motherboard yesterday as I thought that was the problem and Fry's replaced it. (They tested the new board prior to me leaving, so I know that the motherboard is not the issue).

I know that the CPU and GPU are both fine as the machine would not post if either were not working properly. That leaves the RAM and the Hard Drive.

If anyone has any other ideas, I would be excited to here them.

Thanks!

My Motherboard :: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
November 17, 2011 4:59:37 PM

I just wanted to see what kind of error I got if I removed the hard drive from the equation.

Here is the error that I get when the machine goes through the boot process, after the BIOS versions flash.

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"
m
l
!