GA-Z77-D3H BIOS Help.

I have installed Windows 7 32-bit like a charm no problems, but I attempted to install Windows 7 64-bit and wiped my boot drive in the process. An error message keeps popping up saying "Windows cannot be installed to this disk, the selected disk has an mbr partition." So in order to install 64-bit I formatted the drive, but this didn't solve anything, the error is still there. Is there a BIOS setting that will let me install Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, as appaerntly there is, but i have no idea what it is?
15 answers Last reply
More about bios help
  1. Hi, What HDD are you using?
  2. Boot Drive - Intel 60GB SSD
    Storage Drive - Seagate 1TB HDD
  3. Unplug the HDD and try installing on the SSD. Make sure that your SATA controller in the BIOS is on AHCI. Once installation is complete, shutdown, and plug the HDD back in. SSDs are funny sometimes when it comes to having other drives plugged in during installation.
  4. cball1311 said:
    Unplug the HDD and try installing on the SSD. Make sure that your SATA controller in the BIOS is on AHCI. Once installation is complete, shutdown, and plug the HDD back in. SSDs are funny sometimes when it comes to having other drives plugged in during installation.


    Will do, but I select the SSD on the installation screen and it comes with the error message.

    And where is the AHIC setting?
  5. It should be in Integrated Peripherals then you should see OnChip SATA Controller
  6. cball1311 said:
    It should be in Integrated Peripherals then you should see OnChip SATA Controller


    Unplugged HDD, loaded up BIOS change the setting, now just follow the installation and reinstall HDD. Do I change the BIOS setting to default after?
  7. No, SSDs should be AHCI.
  8. zdbc13 said:
    No, SSDs should be AHCI.


    Do everything, and leave the SATA setting as AHCI?
  9. Nope, the same error

    "Windows cannot be installed on the disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."
  10. Delete the partition before you try to install. Windows will create a new one with the proper settings.
  11. zdbc13 said:
    Delete the partition before you try to install. Windows will create a new one with the proper settings.


    How do I do that, the button next to format (Just want to make sure)?

    http://gyazo.com/266cfbf7fab916cb36f1ecc889fc15cd
  12. In the BIOS, make sure that the Boot Order device (your CD\DVD Rom) is set to Legacy and not EFI. What is your motherboard make and model. Check the manual for how to change from EFI to Legacy boot devices
  13. Click on the "Delete" next to Format. Then you will be able to chose the unallocated space to install windows.
  14. Nope, same error
  15. cball1311 said:
    In the BIOS, make sure that the Boot Order device (your CD\DVD Rom) is set to Legacy and not EFI. What is your motherboard make and model. Check the manual for how to change from EFI to Legacy boot devices


    I'll take a look, (Gigabyte D77-Z3H)
Ask a new question

Read More

Gigabyte Windows 7 BIOS Motherboards