Sign in with
Your question

XFX Radeon 6950 overheating issue.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 21, 2011 1:21:05 AM

I haven't really had a problem with it up until today, it usually idles around 60c which is pretty high it would seem, and load is between 70-80. I attempted to play Dead Island today and it got so hot (probably up into the 90s) my computer shut down. I started checking the temperature while playing, and sure enough, it was as I expected. I haven't had a problem like this before, but I worry that any games I play in the future might follow suite. It wasn't crashing when I turned the GPU fan up to 100%, but it might have if I kept playing like that.

I have all the typical precautions set in place, my fans have plenty of room to suck air in, it's not by a wall, my powersupply is more than adequate to handle the card.. but it doesn't seem like it's enough. Can I get some advice on what to do in this situation? If getting a liquid cooling system is my only option, I guess it's my only option, but I'd much rather try something else.
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2011 3:07:25 AM

What is the room temp. ? 70-80C at idle is warm.
m
l
September 21, 2011 3:20:33 AM

I live in southern Arizona, and my thermostat is usually set to 75, so between 75 and 80 I'd wager.
m
l
!