Fried a circuit on the motherboard...

kylaran

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
Hi everyone,

Real serious question: I accidentally turned on the computer while a wire was touching a part of my ASRock z77 Extreme4, causing a part of the circuitry to go up in smoke. To show you all what it look's like, here's an image:

photo_zps35d19dde.jpg

Unfortunately, I can't test if the motherboard is working just fine without waiting for new RAM to arrive, but I started the motherboard again after the incident and it seemed to boot up just fine, receive power, and provide the same memory detection error in Dr. Debug.

Not sure if anyone else has had this experience before. Should I just immediately go out and get a new motherboard without trying to run the computer with this circuit fried because it may damage the other parts of my setup? This is a brand new motherboard I just bought last month, so I'd really be digging deep into my pockets in order to shell out for another one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Solution
I would cover the burned area with electrical tape and continue using the board; your cpu warranty won't be affected; if it works, it works. But your board won't have any more warranty, so don't bother with an rma.