Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

I need help with my new computer set up (RAM/Power Supply)

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Computers
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
Share
February 18, 2012 5:30:39 AM

Hey everyone, (Sorry if I posted in the wrong section!)

I am just about to buy a new computer. First here are the parts I am planning on buying.

-Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Edition 64BIT DVD SP1 OEM

-Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM

-Intel Core i7 3820 Quad Core 10MB 3.6GHZ Hyperthreading LGA2011 Processor

-OCZ Vertex 3 120GB 2.5IN SATA3 6Gbps SandForce SF-2281 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD

-Antec Three Hundred Two Mid Tower Gaming Case 302 ATX 3X5.25 6X3.5INT No PS Front USB3.0 & Audio

-ASUS P9X79 ATX LGA2011 X79 DDR3 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 1PCI SATA3 USB3.0 SLI CrossFireX Audio Motherboard

-ASUS GeForce GTX 560 DC 810MHZ 1GB 4.0GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI Mini HDMI PCI-E Video Card *IR-$10*

-*****G.SKILL F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH Ripjawz PC3-17000 16GB 4X4GB DDR3-2133 CL9-11-10-28 1.65V Memory Kit*****

-*****OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W ATX 20/24PIN SLI Ready Modular Cables 135mm Fan 80PLUS Power Supply*****

____________


So I have 2 main questions here and they relate to the products with the stars** above. (I will explain what I will be planning to do with the computer below).

1. Will my power supply be enough? 700W? Or is it over kill?
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=35456

I tried googling "Power supply calculator" but different sites were like 3-400W out from each other lol, so left me really unsure with what I need for the power supply.

2. Is going for the 2133 RAM beneficial at all towards me? I've been reading around that 1600 is a better way to go and that Intel only supports 1333, so is 1600 even worth it? And if I go above 1333, will it void my warranty?

At the moment I am looking at this RAM, but since I've been reading about the 2133, 1600, 1333 etc. It's got me questioning:
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=66138

_______

How I am planning on using the computer is:

Using this computer for my music production and a bit of video editing for like quality youtube videos, and maybe even a music video down the road. Nothing to serious on the video editing, but definitely want a solid computer that is able to handle all tasks easily.

I have about a $2000 spending limit and trying to get the best I can within my limit.

I don't know much about computer parts, but I have been reading for the past couple days and have learned a lot.

I noticed that the Processor I am looking at has just recently came out. (Intel Core i7 3820 Quad Core 10MB 3.6GHZ Hyperthreading LGA2011 Processor)
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=68691

Would you guys recommend the LGA 2011 or 1155? I'm probably never going to max out to 64 GB of RAM lol, but maybe 32? Always nice to have to option upgrade.

Anyways, thank-you for any comments/help.

More about : computer set ram power supply

a b ) Power supply
February 18, 2012 6:31:38 AM

For power supplies, it's not the wattage that matters but the actual quality of the unit along with the amount of amps it can put out on the 12v rails as it is where most of the PC components draw their power from.

For the power supply, i recommend a Seasonic X650 Gold
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Why so expensive? Because it's one of the best (if not the best) power supplies money can buy.

Also here's some alternatives if you want some quality units but don't want to spend a lot on them.

Seasonic S12 620
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Seasonic M12 620
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
XFX 650
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Corsair TX 650 V2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Ram, if i'm not mistaken, any speed above 1600mhz is an utter waste since the gains are few compared to the massive increase of costs for the higher speed ram.

~Side Note~ iirc Intel requires 1.5v memory chips and the ones you selected are 1.65v, so it is not recommended you get those anyways.
m
0
l
February 18, 2012 8:28:17 AM

lilotimz said:

Why so expensive? Because it's one of the best (if not the best) power supplies money can buy.


Ya the reviews were saying fan is unreal silent. Thank-you for the recommendation and warning on the 1.65V RAM!

So now what about the LGA 2011 vs the 1155? I am unsure about which route to take. I like the idea of that the LGA 2011 is "newer" and will give me the flexibility to upgrade in case I have the need to, plus I am under my limit of $2000. (And now even less cause of that RAM).

I think I would be happy with this set up of motherboard/processor: (I'm open for any ideas etc. I just would like to stay up to date and under $2000).
Processor - http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=68691
Motherboard - http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=66020

Also, any recommendations on video cards? At the moment I have dual monitors which is so nice to have, but at times I feel like I would like more. (Sometimes I feel my screens get crowded/cluttered while making music). With this new "Eyefinity" feature, I think I should take advantage of the display ports to have the option available without having to buy 2 video cards!

I have this one in mind:
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=59610&vpn=HD695XCNFC&...
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 275 ) Power supply
February 18, 2012 1:45:32 PM

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Edition 64BIT DVD SP1 OEM
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=12850SW7181&v...
Seagate Barracuda 1TB
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=65701&manufactur...
Better quality psu
Antec Truepower New 650W Modular
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=36263&vpn=TP%2D650&manufa...
Corsair CML16GX3M4X1600C8 Vengeance LP 16GB 4X4GB DDR3-1600 CL8-8-8-24 240PIN Quad Channel Memorykit
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=65618&vpn=CML16GX3M4X1600...
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus= contact CM for 2011 adapter it's free.
http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/218427/COOLERMASTER/R...
Antec Three Hundred Two Mid Tower
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=10370AC7501&v...
Pricematch the non-Ncix stuff =i do it everytime i order from them!
Share
February 18, 2012 8:26:49 PM

davcon said:
Pricematch the non-Ncix stuff =i do it everytime i order from them!


Awesome davcon, it took $120 off cause of pricematch! -- I used shopbot.ca to help me out.

So what about this power supply? -- http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=58381&promoi...
I'm really unsure with the PSU. The Antec you recommended seems good, is that modular module something I should get?


Also, davcon, why did you recommend a more expensive RAM? I don't know what to look for in RAM, and how to tell one is better than the other. Would it be better me getting 32GB of the RAM I posted above, or only 16GB RAM that you recommended?
m
0
l
a c 275 ) Power supply
February 19, 2012 1:33:19 AM

The Antec TPN 650W i linked is a better psu and cheaper then the Corsair TXV2.
The original unit you had chosen(OZC ModX)is semi-modular so i assumed you preferred that type.
16GB of ram should be plenty.
Then reason i selected the ram kit i linked is because it's low profile ram(26.25mm) and will not interfere with heatsink installations.
The regular Vengeance ram kits heat spreaders(52mm) cause alot of issues with Heatsink installation.
I found it cheaper.
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=16950AC2975&v...
I have no idea what mobo you selected but here's one=( you really don't need the Deluxe version unless your a hardcore overclocker and gamer).
ASUS P9X79 Pro ATX LGA2011 X79
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=10530BD7095&v...
if NCIX doesn't have the mobo in stock just buy it from DirectCanada it's the same company!
m
0
l
February 19, 2012 4:24:15 AM

davcon said:
The Antec TPN 650W i linked is a better psu and cheaper then the Corsair TXV2.
The original unit you had chosen(OZC ModX)is semi-modular so i assumed you preferred that type.
16GB of ram should be plenty.
Then reason i selected the ram kit i linked is because it's low profile ram(26.25mm) and will not interfere with heatsink installations.
The regular Vengeance ram kits heat spreaders(52mm) cause alot of issues with Heatsink installation.
I found it cheaper.
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=16950AC2975&v...
I have no idea what mobo you selected but here's one=( you really don't need the Deluxe version unless your a hardcore overclocker and gamer).
ASUS P9X79 Pro ATX LGA2011 X79
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=10530BD7095&v...
if NCIX doesn't have the mobo in stock just buy it from DirectCanada it's the same company!


Haha, that's the motherboard I have in my cart at the moment! (And have it discounted). And ok, I will switch to that power supply!

I really appreciate all this info davcon, sometimes it's hard to find the "exact" answer a person is looking for.

So I also read that my processor does not come with a heat sink/fan! -- What would you suggest here! I have never built my own computer, but my friend has and will be helping me build it. I know nothing about over clocking and probably will not get into it at all, so I don't have to worry about getting my computer to extreme temperatures. (I don't know what to look for, the liquid cooling heat sink seems too much for what I need).
What about this? -- http://ncix.com/products/?sku=67626&vpn=SCBSK-2100&manu...

After watching some videos it would be cool to have this:
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=66277&vpn=BXRTS2011LC&man...

But, what do you think? As I said above, I will be using this computer for music production and some video editing (nothing super extreme with video editing though). And probably no gaming at all. (used to control my life too much ;)  ). But I would like it to do all tasks easily, and still be strong with 5+ years to come!
m
0
l
a c 275 ) Power supply
February 19, 2012 1:04:27 PM

GratuiTous said:
Haha, that's the motherboard I have in my cart at the moment! (And have it discounted). And ok, I will switch to that power supply!

I really appreciate all this info davcon, sometimes it's hard to find the "exact" answer a person is looking for.

So I also read that my processor does not come with a heat sink/fan! -- What would you suggest here! I have never built my own computer, but my friend has and will be helping me build it. I know nothing about over clocking and probably will not get into it at all, so I don't have to worry about getting my computer to extreme temperatures. (I don't know what to look for, the liquid cooling heat sink seems too much for what I need).
What about this? -- http://ncix.com/products/?sku=67626&vpn=SCBSK-2100&manu...

After watching some videos it would be cool to have this:
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=66277&vpn=BXRTS2011LC&man...

But, what do you think? As I said above, I will be using this computer for music production and some video editing (nothing super extreme with video editing though). And probably no gaming at all. (used to control my life too much ;)  ). But I would like it to do all tasks easily, and still be strong with 5+ years to come!

I linked the 212+ in my original post!
If you choose the 212+ or Evo and a LGA 2011 bracket isn't included.
http://coolermaster-usa.com/landing/lga2011/
m
0
l
February 19, 2012 5:52:27 PM

davcon said:
I linked the 212+ in my original post!
If you choose the 212+ or Evo and a LGA 2011 bracket isn't included.
http://coolermaster-usa.com/landing/lga2011/


Thank-you for both posts!

Ok davcon, I read that. Interesting, thank-you.

So is a heat sink necessary for my set up/my use of the computer? As I said I will be doing no overclocking at all.

$20 isn't much considering the set up I am investing in, but I guess my question is:

Is a heat sink necessary if I am not overclocking?

Also, what is the difference between the plus and EVO heat sinks?
m
0
l
a c 275 ) Power supply
February 19, 2012 6:37:39 PM

GratuiTous said:
Thank-you for both posts!

Ok davcon, I read that. Interesting, thank-you.

So is a heat sink necessary for my set up/my use of the computer? As I said I will be doing no overclocking at all.

$20 isn't much considering the set up I am investing in, but I guess my question is:

Is a heat sink necessary if I am not overclocking?

Also, what is the difference between the plus and EVO heat sinks?

Regardless of overclocking, yes, you'll need a HS if you're buying an i7 3820 since it doesn't ship with a cooler.chip only!
The Evo is an updated version of the 212+,is it any better = the jury is out on that from what i've gathered the Evo shaves about 1-3C off in best case scenario.
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo with 2011 hardware included.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=8...
Intel Core i7 i7-3820 3.60 GHz Processor = possible Pricematch if inventory is replenished on 2012-02-21
http://www.cendirect.com/main_en/tech_specs.php?rPart_n...
m
0
l
February 19, 2012 6:59:02 PM

davcon said:
Regardless of overclocking, yes, you'll need a HS if you're buying an i7 3820 since it doesn't ship with a cooler.chip only!
The Evo is an updated version of the 212+,is it any better = the jury is out on that from what i've gathered the Evo shaves about 1-3C off in best case scenario.
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo with 2011 hardware included.


On NCIX it does not show that it is LGA 2011, but on your site and other sites it does!
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=64385&promoi... (No 2011? Not saying it doesn't come with/support or w/e, but it isn't included in the info!)

Are they the same just not updated information? Or is there something different with mine?
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=8...

I can't find any serial/manufacture number to compare.
m
0
l
a c 275 ) Power supply
February 19, 2012 7:08:34 PM

GratuiTous said:
On NCIX it does not show that it is LGA 2011, but on your site and other sites it does!
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=64385&promoi... (No 2011? Not saying it doesn't come with/support or w/e, but it isn't included in the info!)

Are they the same just not updated information? Or is there something different with mine?
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=8...

I can't find any serial/manufacture number to compare.

The difference can be discerned by the part #.
The kits that include the 2011 hardware are CM part number RR-212E-20PK-R2 the kit that doesn't include the bracket RR-212E-20PK-R1
Canada Computers has both versions in stock the old version is being cleared out for the new kit that includes the 2011 hardware.
All retailers do this once stock is replenished.
Once Ncix sells out their current inventory the replenished inventory will include 2011 hardware.
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=8... = old RR-212E-20PK-R1

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=8... = new RR-212E-20PK-R2
I'm sure you could phone NCIX and ask specifically for the RR-212E-20PK-R2 version.
Their customer service is excellent in my experience.
m
0
l
February 19, 2012 7:22:45 PM

davcon said:
The difference can be discerned by the part #.
The kits that include the 2011 hardware are CM part number RR-212E-20PK-R2 the kit that doesn't include the bracket RR-212E-20PK-R1
Canada Computers has both versions in stock the old version is being cleared out for the new kit that includes the 2011 hardware.
All retailers do this once stock is replenished.
Once Ncix sells out their current inventory the replenished inventory will include 2011 hardware.
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=8... = old RR-212E-20PK-R1

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=8... = new RR-212E-20PK-R2
I'm sure you could phone NCIX and ask specifically for the RR-212E-20PK-R2 version.
Their customer service is excellent in my experience.


Ok, I wrote down all this information. You have been tremendously helpful davcon with going to the "extra mile" in information that I needed to hear.

Your first answer that you replied with pretty much had all the details, I just had to ask my questions to come to a full understanding.

Thank-you very much davcon!
m
0
l
February 19, 2012 7:26:14 PM

Oh also, how does the price check work?

Do they approve the price first and then I pay, or do I pay then they approve the price check? (Cause obviously I would want them to approve before I pay, but when I went to go check out, it seemed like I had to pay first, then they would review the price check, where they can say yes or no, and charge me more!).
m
0
l
a c 275 ) Power supply
February 19, 2012 7:53:33 PM

Select the item from NCIX add to your cart.
Right underneath your selection you'll see a red Pricematch box click it.
The rest is copy&paste the url from the other source.
Best to bookmark those pages = makes it easy!
I've never been denied a pricematch at NCIX = built 4 rigs doing this!
m
0
l
February 19, 2012 8:15:26 PM

davcon said:
Select the item from NCIX add to your cart.
Right underneath your selection you'll see a red Pricematch box click it.
The rest is copy&paste the url from the other source.
Best to bookmark those pages = makes it easy!
I've never been denied a pricematch at NCIX = built 4 rigs doing this!


Ok, thank-you very much for your time davcon!

If you are interested in the kind of music I create, you can check out the link below:
http://soundcloud.com/gratuitous
m
0
l
February 19, 2012 8:18:07 PM

Best answer selected by GratuiTous.
m
0
l
!