Tags:
  • Memory
Last response: in Memory
December 24, 2012 6:56:11 PM

I recently built a computer for the first time with the following specs:
- Intel Core i5-3470 (Ivy Bridge)
- ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 Motherboard
- Toshiba 1 TB Hard Drive
- Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
- Seasonic 650 W Gold Certified PSU

From the beginning, I had problems with stability and frequent BSODs. Early ones were related to memory management codes while the most recent ones were #109 (Critical structure corruption). At first, I was unsure if the memory was bad, so I ran memtest, but I had 0 errors after 15 passes. I tried bumping up the memory voltage and that seemed to help. The memory is rated at 1.5 V and I know that the max voltage that doesn't void warranty is 1.575 volts, so that is what I set it to. However, what seemed to finally result in a stable system (I haven't had a BSOD since) is reducing the memory frequency to run at 1333 MHz. Now since the memory spec is 1600 MHz, are there any reasons that would prevent me from running at that speed? Is there something going on that I am missing? Thanks for your help.

More about : running memory spec results bsods

Best solution

a b } Memory
December 25, 2012 9:50:49 PM

I suspect the CLK9 rating for the Ballistix Sport DIMMs is rather aggressive since there don't seem to be any Micron 1600 MHz chips rated faster than CLK11:

http://www.micron.com/products/dram/ddr3-sdram#fullPart...

Heat spreaders don't improve performance so much as hide information.

January 5, 2013 6:13:37 PM

Best answer selected by dkrrunner.
m
l
!