Radeon 6790 Install Errors and Strange Solution?

c2phace

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
Hello Everyone,

I just recently purchased the Radeon HD 6790 and am having issues during the install. I previously had an Nvidia gpu, so I uninstalled and wiped all the nvidia drivers from my system. When I installed the new card I got the long beep - followed by two quick beep error. I reset the CMOS, tried again, but no luck. I tied unplugging all the non essentials (from the PSU as well) - still nothing. Then something strange happened: out of frustration mainly, on one attempt after the error, I pushed the power button to shutdown and immediately pushed the button again the restart (before it had time to really fully shutdown). The system then booted perfectly. I was able to enter Windows and install the drivers ect. The card was identified and worked perfect. The only thing that was strange was that the system fans seemed to be running half speed. I tried to restart now that the drivers were installed and I got the error code again. Again I tried the strange work around and it booted perfectly... Is the BIOS causing the issue (most recent update)? Any thoughts?

As far as I know my system is compatible:

Windows 7 64bit
XFX Radeon HD 6790
550 Watt ATX PSU

AMD Athon 64 X2 5400+
Abit KN9 SLI Mother Board (Phoenix Tech 6.00 PG BIOS)
nForce 570 SLI chipset
4G RAM

c2phace

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
After some research, it appears that the power button trick might be a 'soft reboot'. I still don't know why this works, or how to avoid doing it to get the GPU to read.
In the meantime I have contacted XFX, AMD, and Abit to see what they suggest. I'll post their responses when I hear back. Anything info would help at this point. Thanks again.

kneebuz

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

Im installing a Radeon HD 6790 on my M2N SLI Deluxe motherboard (also an nforce 570 chipset) and I'm experiencing the exact same thing as you. How did you ever get the problem remedies?

c2phace

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011

Kneebuz, I never did! I am assuming that the power supply does not send power to the four pins quick enough at start up. Apparently newer PSU do not have this problem. I went around and around with the tech support for the card, but no real solutions. So, I am still softbooting every time I start my PC. Good luck. Post back you if hear anything.

thisguy_92

Honorable
May 18, 2012
This worked for me too!!!! :eek: :hello: :sol:

I recently upgraded to a Radeon HD 6870 on my ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe. I had the same issue, and doing as you said, powering on immediately after powering off got it started! I've been trying all kinds of things to try to remedy this for the past 5 days. Thank you. :wahoo: