Your question
Closed

Differences between DDR3 and GDDR5

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2011 6:32:08 AM

Ashwini Khandekar said:
Looking for the benefits of one type of memory over the other - DDR3 Vs GDDR5

The G is the key here. Gddr5 is for gpus currently, and the 5 i believe refers to the multiplier so it may gave the same base frequency but has a higher overall output. Gddr5 is by far better than ddr3 but if you are talking ram then ddr3 would be the best you can get as far as ram for your mobo.
Score
a c 176 U Graphics card
a b } Memory
September 21, 2011 7:15:05 AM

Flint, they both transfer 4 bits per clock cycle so the "multiplier" would be the same. Voltages and clock speeds are the only differences I know of. (and the fact that you can't run GDDR5 on a motherboard.)
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2011 3:12:40 PM

4745454b said:
Flint, they both transfer 4 bits per clock cycle so the "multiplier" would be the same. Voltages and clock speeds are the only differences I know of. (and the fact that you can't run GDDR5 on a motherboard.)

but doesnt it transfer over a wider bandwidth, and therefore transfers more info more easily and is less power hungry than GDDR3? so the frequencies are the same, but the GDDR5 doesnt have to work as hard to xfer the data. Im pretty sure thats what it is, i have a hard time trying to explain it exactly, sorry for calling it a multiplier earlier
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
September 21, 2011 3:18:19 PM

Ashwini Khandekar said:
Looking for the benefits of one type of memory over the other - DDR3 Vs GDDR5

They are two completely different things, so you can't compare them.

DDR3 goes on your motherboard.

GDDR5 is video memory on your video card.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2011 3:19:39 PM

geekapproved said:
They are two completely different things, so you can't compare them.

DDR3 goes on your motherboard.

GDDR5 is video memory on your video card.

im just trying to explain the gddr3 vs gddr5..... im not sure if OP meant that or if he really thought you could put gddr5 in his mobo
Score
a c 176 U Graphics card
a b } Memory
September 21, 2011 4:15:54 PM

Quote:
but doesnt it transfer over a wider bandwidth

Memory bandwidth is determined by frequency and bus width. (and number of bits per cycle, but thats semi new.) There are no 256bit wide buses on motherboards yet. The closest would be the tri channel memory found on the Intel boards. Each channel is its own 64bit wide memory controller. It's not the same however as on a board its a direct point to point while a card uses a ring bus or something like it. This is beyond what I know, and probably way beyond what the OP was looking for.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2011 4:41:54 PM

OP hasnt even responded, i think he packed up
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
September 21, 2011 6:09:29 PM

GDDR3 is based on DDR2 while GDDR5 is based on DDR3.
Comparision:
GDDR3: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GDDR3
GDDR5: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GDDR5

Could have opy paste and Lett you think I was really smart, but some Know otherwize LOL

And as stated DDR3 vs GDDR5 is apples and oranges
a b U Graphics card
a c 146 } Memory
February 27, 2012 1:06:47 AM

Best answer selected by nikorr.
Score
a b U Graphics card
a c 146 } Memory
February 27, 2012 1:07:06 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!