Sign in with
Your question

Is this a PSU problem or something else?

Last response: in Components
February 18, 2012 11:49:34 AM

So I've decided to build rebuild my PC. To do this I went with an I5 2400, 8 gigs of DDR3, and a new motherboard (an ASRock z68M/USB3 if that matters). I've kept my existing components like my Radeon 6870 HD videocard, 500 gig 7500 rpm HDD, and a DVD burner.

I've hooked up everything and have doubled checked the connections three times now. When I turn on the system, the fans spin, and lights come on, but the computer will not boot at all, the screen stays black. I've got a 500w PSU of unknown quality, but I'm leaning towards a lower end unit since it came with the case a few years ago.

I've also tried taking out my vidcard and using the onboard video, still nothing. I've never had this type of issue so I'm stumped. I'm down to 2 things. 1. Its a PSU issue, or 2. My mobo came DOA.

Just looking for more expert advice.
Thanks in advance.

More about : psu problem

February 18, 2012 12:44:45 PM

Sounds like a Motherboard issue.
m
l
February 18, 2012 1:10:28 PM

What was the old system? If it is something that uses fairly little power then I'd blame your PSU but right now leaning toward a bad Motherboard/or the Motherboard isn't grounded.
m
l
Related resources
February 18, 2012 4:13:14 PM

So I went out and got a different PSU, a 600w, plugged it in, same problem. On a whim I pulled one of my ram sticks and it booted up. I tried the other stick solo and the system booted as well, but it will not boot with both sticks plugged in.
m
l
February 18, 2012 6:56:35 PM

Are you putting them in correctly?
It should show in your motherboard user manual how to insert the RAM when it is dual channel.
m
l
!