Save Hosts list for playing Minesweeper on Msn

SEB

Dear all,

I have a long list of banned websites on my HOSTS file.
However it won't let me play Minesweeper online with my
friends. If I remove the hosts file I can play it no
problem. I don't know which site i have to remove from my
list in order to be able to play while still blocking the
other websites.
Thank you very much,
Seb

Seb,

Edit the HOSTS file with Notepad and see if there is a section definied for MSN Games. Or, you can use a simple batch file to rename the HOSTS file "on-the-fly". (98\ME\2K\XP). See section "Safely Rename the HOSTS file" in Mike Burgess' site: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

If you want to find the game server, download TCP View from www.sysinternals.com. Rename HOSTS and launch the game. Close all other applications and launch TCP View. Make sure "Resolve Addresses" is enabled in the options, so that it shows the domain and not the IP. Once you get the necessary information, match the entry in your HOSTS file and disable that entry by #'ing it or removing that line altogether.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/gp/gpref.asp

"Seb" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:637c01c48277$652ec6e0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
Dear all,

I have a long list of banned websites on my HOSTS file.
However it won't let me play Minesweeper online with my
friends. If I remove the hosts file I can play it no
problem. I don't know which site i have to remove from my
list in order to be able to play while still blocking the
other websites.
Thank you very much,
Seb

TRENDING THREADS