scanning B&W negs

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 24, 2005 1:29:00 PM

I have many 35mm Ilford HP5+ negs accumulated over years of having a
chemical darkroom. I need to scan, manipulate and create files I can
send to a book publisher. Any ideas on what I need in terms of
equipment and software to do this. I hear that this type of negs are
difficult to scan because the silver scatters the light. I don't want
to spend any more money than neccesary. I am fairly computer literate.
Please email me your response.
Thanks George

More about : scanning negs

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 9:05:26 PM

gphickey@yahoo.com wrote:
> I have many 35mm Ilford HP5+ negs accumulated over years of having a
> chemical darkroom. I need to scan, manipulate and create files I can
> send to a book publisher. Any ideas on what I need in terms of
> equipment and software to do this. I hear that this type of negs are
> difficult to scan because the silver scatters the light. I don't want
> to spend any more money than neccesary. I am fairly computer literate.
> Please email me your response.
> Thanks George

I suggest you have them scanned commercially as that should cost less
that the type of scanner that would be needed. You then could do your post
scan processing yourself.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia's duit
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 2:13:08 AM

<gphickey@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have many 35mm Ilford HP5+ negs accumulated over years of having a
> chemical darkroom. I need to scan, manipulate and create files I can
> send to a book publisher. Any ideas on what I need in terms of
> equipment and software to do this. I hear that this type of negs are
> difficult to scan because the silver scatters the light. I don't want
> to spend any more money than neccesary. I am fairly computer literate.
> Please email me your response.
> Thanks George

My simple cheap HP Scanjet 4070 scans slides and both colour and mono negs
without any problem. They may not be the highest resolution scan imaginable
but they're adequate, and I see no evidence of scatter.
H.
April 25, 2005 2:13:09 AM

"Hannah" <hannah@example.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
q7adnYVaTMRGlvHfRVnysg@pipex.net...

> <gphickey@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I have many 35mm Ilford HP5+ negs accumulated over years of having a
>> chemical darkroom. I need to scan, manipulate and create files I can
>> send to a book publisher. Any ideas on what I need in terms of
>> equipment and software to do this. I hear that this type of negs are
>> difficult to scan because the silver scatters the light. I don't want
>> to spend any more money than neccesary. I am fairly computer literate.
>> Please email me your response.
>> Thanks George
>>
> My simple cheap HP Scanjet 4070 scans slides and both colour and mono negs
> without any problem. They may not be the highest resolution scan
> imaginable
> but they're adequate, and I see no evidence of scatter.
> H.

Sorry, I don't see the very first post of the thread anymore on my server.

These scans :
http://dhost.info/photocanon/mai1968/index.htm
have been done with the negative and slide scanner PrimeFilm 1800u from
Pacific Image Electronics.
Rather cheap. Scans to 1800 dpi, hardware. Probably enough.
http://www.scanace.com/en/product/1800u.php

--
Mike
!