Mouse Works at login, but not after login

Grayshadow

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Hello, I have a Microsoft Intellipoint 2000 usb mouse that has been working flawlessly for about 8 months, and a windows 7 laptop 64 bit. Recently however, the mouse would work at the login screen, but after I would login, it would stop working. Its drivers are up-to-date. It seems as though something changed recently that disables it after login, and if I reconnect it I sometimes get Error Code 43, and it says it is not recognized, then again, sometimes it will work flawlessly, until i put my computer to sleep.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

digory

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

Hi,
I've just had a similar experience to yours. I am using a laptop with an Elan touchpad which would work fine for other users and at the login screen. When I logged in however the mouse would not move or respond to clicks.
I ran mouse applet from the control panel, and found 'disable when external usb mouse plug in' was checked, as soon as I disabled it, the mouse worked again.
Interesting as no external usb devices are connected.

.david.

Xaritos

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013

I had a very similar issue with my ASUS Vivobook running Windows 8. I found found a fix. I had no problems with the mouse until I updated to the most current driver. Then it started freezing/disappearing after login. I made the driver revert back to the previous driver, and the mouse worked fine again.

I went into Control Panel--> Mouse Properties-> Hardware--> Properties--> Driver --> Roll back driver. Then I rebooted and it worked like new!