Sign in with
Your question

I/O shield

Last response: in Motherboards
December 25, 2012 2:38:45 AM

I have been trying to figure out, after reading all the threads, if the I/O shield is positively needed?

I finally did my first build, and either I shorted out or the motherboard came shorted out, but either way they replaced it without a issue.

The I/O shield that came with both motherboards, and they were the same model boards, would not fit. The I/O shield did if in the space on the case, but when the motherboard was mounted on the standout it was to high for the shield. If you mount the motherboard without (I know they are needed) the standout the shield line up correctly with the motherboard.

The Motherboard is a Asus P8Z77V-LX.

So my question is Should make a adjustment to the I/O shield, by trimming the top, and adding something to fill the gap on the bottom, or ????

Thank you in advance for help with this matter.

Merry Christmas

PS SO far this motherboard is working OK. I have not installed all the components to complete my Build. :bounce: 

More about : shield

a b V Motherboard
December 25, 2012 3:46:04 AM

The IO shield is just that a sheild to cover the space where the port protrude, it offers nothing other then looking nice covering the gaps between the ports

You can happily use a Motherboard without one, looks bit tacky but will work perfectly fine.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 142 V Motherboard
December 25, 2012 4:04:52 AM

The I/O shield assists with grounding, providing a shorter path (not through other components) to drain off static.
Did you install standoffs where your case already had raised bumps? You want one or the other (the bumps OR the standoffs), but not both. That may be the cause of your misalignment.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 25, 2012 1:19:51 PM

Now I am confused. If there are raised bumps, then no need for standouts? That would fix the issue, but I read up before my build, and everybody said standouts are needed.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 142 V Motherboard
December 25, 2012 1:39:30 PM

The raised bumps take the place of standoffs. SOMETHING needs to raise the mobo off the case floor (so the traces don't short!), either raised bumps OR standoffs, but not both.
Most cheaper cases have the bumps molded into the mobo tray, perhaps except for a few. Better cases are usually flat, and you install standoffs based on the type of mobo you are using (i.e. ATX vs. Micro-ATX) and how many mounting holes it has.
m
l
December 25, 2012 1:49:43 PM

Thank you for your help. I was confused at first. I googled the bump issue, and found another post on a different thread, where the guy is using the same case I got a Xion, and he ran into the same issue. They told him the same thing. No standoff if the case has molded bumps.

Thanks again,
Paul :hello: 
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 142 V Motherboard
December 25, 2012 2:15:32 PM

Ok nice. You should be up and running soon then.
m
l
a c 302 Ĉ ASUS
a c 1128 V Motherboard
December 25, 2012 2:23:15 PM

Yep some budget cases have the bumps as built in standoffs.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
December 25, 2012 2:44:52 PM

I/O Shield's sole job is to label the ports and help keep the dust out of the case - period. If you need an I/O shield -> http://us.estore.asus.com/

Quote:
"Yep some budget cases have the bumps as built in standoffs."

For those cases with pseudo standoff's I strongly recommend you cut 2-layers of electrical tape (in squares) or use small thin plastic washers to avoid shorting.
m
l
December 25, 2012 7:44:46 PM

I did mount the motherboard on the case bumps and I am up and running. Now my next step is to install my 2 video cards (running 6 monitors) and the crazy LED system i have planned. My 4 fans are green LED and I have green lasers, and LED lights to make it shine.

Thank you again.
Paul

PS you also made me feel better. I first mount it on the bumps, and it would only turn on for a second. I did all the possible fixes for it. I sent it back, and they said it was shorted out, and I felt like crap. But now i see I wasn't me.

m
l
!