decipherfreak

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
Hi, I've been noticing a lot of memory overload when i'm using lightroom so I want to get more memory.
My motherboard is
ASUS M4A78T-E AM3
and my current ram is
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

I am currently on 32bit windows 7 so that might be part of the problem. Should I just get more of the same ram so I have 8gb, or should I switch out the current ones and put in 2x4gb? Also, how do I tell what model of ram is compatible besides the number of pins?

Thanks!

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Your 32 bit Windows in any case won't recognize any more than ~3.5 GB of memory. So you need to first get yourself a 64 bit version before spending money on hardware.

If you have a retail copy, you don't need to re-buy. There will be 64 Bit DVD in your box anyways. But for an OEM copy, you're $hit outta luck. You either need to re-buy or get it for free from ummm... certain sources that I'm not allowed to talk 'bout here on Tom's :non:

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
The RAM in your link is plenty good. It's just that, it will be run at 1333 by your board without OC. Not a biggie. Prices of 1333 RAM ain't that much cheaper. If you do find significantly cheaper 1333 RAM, get that.

As far as compatibility with your board goes, you can check for that on the product page of your board manufacturer's website, but for all practical purposes, most memory is compatible with most board. Still, doesn't hurt to make sure before you dole out the cash :)