Best Way To Call from Cell Phone to U.S. in Puerto Vallarta?

Last response: in Network Providers
June 20, 2005 1:28:23 AM

Archived from groups: rec.travel.latin-america,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I have a friend visiting Puerto Vallarta, and she cannot figure
out how to make calls on her cell phone to the U.S. She is
using an AT&T Wireless phone (now Cingular). Does anyone have
experience with this?

When I call her cell phone she answers and the reception is
great. But she cannot find any combination of digits that will
get her any kind of signal. She gets GPRS reception for
Internet as well as receiving incoming calls. How can she
enable the phone for dialing out, and what digits will get her to
999-555-1212 in the US?

On a related topic, what is the cheapest way to reach the U.S.
from Puerto Vallarta? What will her rates be like using a cell
phone to dial out versus having her dial a toll free number and
using a calling card? If the calling card + local cell phone
rate is cheaper than using just the cell phone, then what is the
best calling card to use that has a local call from Puerto
Vallarta?

--
Will
Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 9:12:11 AM

Archived from groups: rec.travel.latin-america,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Cingular has an international plan. I think it is a couple of bucks a
month. Call Cingular and ask. 1-800-888-7600 or she can press 611 on her
cell phone and get cingular in most areas.

"Will" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in message
>I have a friend visiting Puerto Vallarta, and she cannot figure
> out how to make calls on her cell phone to the U.S. She is
> using an AT&T Wireless phone (now Cingular). Does anyone have
> experience with this?
>
> When I call her cell phone she answers and the reception is
> great. But she cannot find any combination of digits that will
> get her any kind of signal. She gets GPRS reception for
> Internet as well as receiving incoming calls. How can she
> enable the phone for dialing out, and what digits will get her to
> 999-555-1212 in the US?
>
> On a related topic, what is the cheapest way to reach the U.S.
> from Puerto Vallarta? What will her rates be like using a cell
> phone to dial out versus having her dial a toll free number and
> using a calling card? If the calling card + local cell phone
> rate is cheaper than using just the cell phone, then what is the
> best calling card to use that has a local call from Puerto
> Vallarta?
>
> --
> Will
> Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com

June 20, 2005 10:26:41 AM

Archived from groups: rec.travel.latin-america,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 21:28:23 -0700, "Will"
<DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote:

>I have a friend visiting Puerto Vallarta, and she cannot figure
>out how to make calls on her cell phone to the U.S. She is
>using an AT&T Wireless phone (now Cingular). Does anyone have
>experience with this?

+1/area code/number (e.g. +13115552368). The plus is either press *
two times quickly on Nokia or pressing 0 on Ericsson and Motorola I
believe.

>How can she
>enable the phone for dialing out, and what digits will get her to
>999-555-1212 in the US?

I hope you meant those numbers as an example only since there's no
area code 999.

>On a related topic, what is the cheapest way to reach the U.S.
>from Puerto Vallarta?

Get a local prepaid calling card in Mexico. Likely there are cards
especially for calling the USA.

> What will her rates be like using a cell
>phone to dial out versus having her dial a toll free number and
>using a calling card?

Using her cingular/AT&T phone likely *very* expensive.

- -
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 20, 2005 1:18:28 PM

Will wrote:
> I have a friend visiting Puerto Vallarta, and she cannot figure
> out how to make calls on her cell phone to the U.S. She is
> using an AT&T Wireless phone (now Cingular). Does anyone have
> experience with this?
>
> When I call her cell phone she answers and the reception is
> great. But she cannot find any combination of digits that will
> get her any kind of signal. She gets GPRS reception for
> Internet as well as receiving incoming calls. How can she
> enable the phone for dialing out, and what digits will get her to
> 999-555-1212 in the US?
>
> On a related topic, what is the cheapest way to reach the U.S.
> from Puerto Vallarta? What will her rates be like using a cell
> phone to dial out versus having her dial a toll free number and
> using a calling card? If the calling card + local cell phone
> rate is cheaper than using just the cell phone, then what is the
> best calling card to use that has a local call from Puerto
> Vallarta?

My many direct-dialed calls from Mexico to U.S. are made be prepending
the 10-digit U.S. number with 001, ie. 001-xxx-xxx-xxxx. Prepaid
calling cards are the cheapest and available at many locales, in which
case prepend the 800 number with 001.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Archived from groups: rec.travel.latin-america,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

+ country code area code number

i.e. +1 213 935 4454 ("1" is country code for U.S.)

Should work anywhere in the world. I have all my numbers in my phonebook
stored in this format.

I think there is a lot of fraud to/from Mexico so I would call Cingular to
make sure there is no block, or something to enable, on their account.

Steve

!