Win2K w/NTFS and Rehat w/EXT3

G

I'm about to take the plunge and install Redhat 7.2 on a separate partition alongside an existing Win2K NTFS partition. I *know* Linux can read FAT32 (having done dual-boot Linux/Win98 machines before), but can it read NTFS? Do I need to compile anything into the kernel and/or install any extra bits and pieces, or will it read them straight off?

Also, are there any drivers that will allow the opposite, the i.e. let Win2K installation read the EXT3 parition?

If this can't be done, I guess the solution is to create a third FAT32 parition for my documents and mp3's. But I'm sure there MUST BE A WAY! HELP ME!

~ The First Formally Rehabilitated AMD Lemming ~

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
I posted a fairly recent HOWTO on this forum a while back on dual booting the two...You might wanna check that out.

Anyways, Linux can read NTFS for instance:
$ mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/win

Windows CANNOT read ext3. Doesn't even recognize it as a partition :(

Linux CAN write to NTFS partitions...But your distro might not configure it that way for you :(

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

G

Thanks for the info, I'll check the HOWTO (should have realised there'd be one on such things... :) )

I understand what you say about Windows not reading EXT3, but are there any third-party tools to read EXT3 paritions, or at the very least EXT2? Even if you can't use them through Explorer?

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Disk reads/writes are kernel-level operations. That's why you won't find a way to read Linux partitions on Windows. If you really want to, you can format your Linux partition as NTFS...

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I heard that linux reading of ntfs is safe, and that it can write to an ntfs partition, but that it's not a safe operation, and may cause corruption...

Lyrics. Wasted time between solos.

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
in the linux kernel it has a warning inall caps saying dangerous to write to ntfs, i but it is fine to read form it

look in how to compile a kernel then you have to make a mount point then you need to put an entry in fstab to rap ot all up."your best bet it to find somebody that has done it before close to you. iti si much easier to do once you have somebody show you how to.

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red><font color=green> Can be a lot of fun</font color=green> :smile: :smile: :smile:

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Linux NTFS writing is in beta, its true, but it still works.

G

Well, I've been digging, and have found a few utilities that apparently <i>do</i> allow you to read (and maybe even write) EXT2. One of them also allows the reading of EXT3. Here's the <A HREF="http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-2001-01/lw-01-legacy.html" target="_new">article from linuxworld</A>.

Thanks for all your ideas anyhow.