No sound from my new Asus board

vey323

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Hello all, have quite the conundrum here. On my newly built system, I am at a loss to get sound to come out via the back panel, though I can get it out of the front panel of the case. I have an Asus P8Z77‑V PRO, which utilizes Realtek HD Audio, running on Windows 8 64bit. I have updated all the pertinent drivers as of today, ensured that audio is enabled in BIOS, and disabled the Nvidia Audio drivers that were installed with my graphics card (in case they clash). I have also disabled the Realtek Digital devices. My speakers are regular old stereo speakers, plugged in to the Lime jack as I've done for all my systems - and they work, I tested them on another machine.
The Realtek Sound Manager recognizes them when they are plugged in. My default device is set to them, both in Windows and in the Sound Manager. When executing the tests in both the Sound Manager and the Windows Playback devices, the volume bar does indeed fluctuate as if it where playing the sounds, but of course no sound comes out. Same for simply playing a Youtube video or playing a song with iTunes. Nothing is muted, to include the speakers.
I have messed with all possible settings; lowered/raised the default format quality, checked/unchecked exclusive mode. I've deleted the drivers, reinstalled, rebooted ad nauseum. For now only the headphones plugged into my front panel give me any sound. I really am at a loss. Any ideas?

Solution
Just a guess: it might be a connector issue. Try moving (getting out) the jack a little bit while connected. No other idea, since the speakers do work on a different PC.
Or buy an audio jack and replace the speakers' one.
If it's an old system, the jack might not properly fit the board's connector.

vey323

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

Well my headphones DO work without issue when plugged into the back panel Lime jack, which makes me think the mobo is ok.

"On my newly built system, I am at a loss to get sound to come out via the back panel, though I can get it out of the front panel of the case."
"For now only the headphones plugged into my front panel give me any sound"
I've just quoted from your first post.
and
"Well my headphones DO work without issue when plugged into the back panel Lime jack, which makes me think the mobo is ok."
I'm confused.

vey323

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

Headphones work in front or back, speakers don't work at all

Just a guess: it might be a connector issue. Try moving (getting out) the jack a little bit while connected. No other idea, since the speakers do work on a different PC.
Or buy an audio jack and replace the speakers' one.
If it's an old system, the jack might not properly fit the board's connector.

Solution

vey323

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

Is it a possibility that the speakers are just too old/different to be recognized? They're about 7 years old, AND Korean (bought when I was stationed there).
But I'll try the jack

vey323

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

Well I bought new speakers, and they worked right out of the box. Tested the old ones yet again on my laptop, and they work there... dunno what the issue is - maybe it was a connector issue - but it's a moot point now. Thx all