I just bought acer aspire with intel core i3-380m yesterday and

un4gettable47

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
I just bought it yesterday and there was a free update available from system updates in the action centre for Microsoft Essentials. It was optional, but i downloaded it anyways cause hey it free. So after i installed it within a few minutes i think, it said i have a worm, so i was a little freaked out, i have downloaded a few things already like daemon tools/winff/divx/googlechrome/bitlord... So ne ways, i asked essentials to remove it and it got half way and said it could not be done unless i do as amniistrator or some other dumb option, i am the only user and i am the admin. So i deleted it and am unsure if i actually have a worm already? I have a firewall with my provider, thanks. Please let me know what to do. The threat what apparently severe. And is there anyway i can find out if i actually have a worm or virus. Are all worms and viruses located in processes, and can it be in system or else where. I have found it amazing how helpful this community is 4 a noob like me, thanks.

un4gettable47

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012

ADDED: I haven't noticed any performance issues, works great.

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
There are false positives sometimes. Also, You can still check the Security Essentials logs, to get details of what happened (you deleted the worm, not the antivirus, right?). It would be really a valuable piece of information to have, e.g. if it was associated with a file, what was the worm's name, what does it do.

If it bothers you (as I know it would bother me), you should do a recovery (you know, the one, which uses an image to restore the windows partition to the factory state), and start from there, with white page.

After that, the first thing I would do that thing with the Security Essentials, and then I would start to install my programs again.

You do have recovery options, don't you? I'm not sure, what this model has to offer, you should have a DVD, or (more often) they put the recovery image to a hidden partition, which can be booted by pressing a special button or combination at startup.