Core i7 2600K overheating issues..80degrees C on video work

coyotesx5

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
I have a i7 2600K that reaches 80 degrees easily when I transcode videos in Nero. I have a stock Intel fan (came with the processor) and two large, noisy white 140mm fans blowing air through the case constantly...so loud you can hear 'em from 50 feet away. Idle temps are around 51 deg C but transcoding video streams avi to NTSC VOB just heats the processor up like mad.

I am using a good Ultra case with a cut-out I made in the removable panel in line of sight with the axis of the processor fan. Motherboard heat sink temps never go above 32 degrees C ....do I need to buy a better processor fan/cooler or is this normal for this chip?

coyotesx5

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
I'll take your advice and rush out to get a better processor fan....I am amazed that despite properly applied processor "grease" and a solidly mounted fan, that Intel would make a quad core processor and ship it with a garbage cooling fan. Just ridiculous.

D

Deleted member 217926

Sounds to me like you do not have the stock cooler seated correctly. You did leave the stock thermal paste on the cooler when you installed it right?

I would try reseating the stock heatsink. Sandy Bridge chips as a rule run cool. You will need to clean off the old pre applied thermal paste and replace it with new material.

Use something like a coffee filter and 90% alcohol to clean off the old compound.

If you do not have any thermal compound then Artic Silver 5 or their Ceramique product, Artic Cooling MX2 or MX4 as well as Zalman and Xigmatek and Noctua are all good products.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=85&name=Thermal-Compound-Grease&Pagesize=100

Ultra cases are pretty much low to mid tier. Once you have a good case you would never think of buying one of their cases again. I hope you are not using an Ultra power supply. They are junk.

You can get very good fans that are nearly silent. I have an Antec 1200 with 7 x 120mm and 1 x 200mm case fans and a 140mm power supply fan and a 120mm fan on my CPU cooler and I can not hear the case over a few feet away. Using Antec Tricool fans on low.

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

OMG! You are frying your precious CPU! Buying a decent CPU cooler is a life long investment if you want to prolong the life of your CPU.

D

Deleted member 217926

There is no need to get aftermarket cooling unless you are overclocking.

Your temps are most likely high because the stock cooler is not mounted correctly. If it was mounted correctly your stock temps would be in the high 20s low 30s C.

Read my above post.

I have built several hundered computers over the years. Not a one has ever idled in the 50s. If one did it would be a dead giveaway that the cooler was not mounted correctly.

coyotesx5

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
I assure you all that all four push pins are all the way through the MB holes and locked. I removed the stock thermal grease and used Arctic Silver....I convert videos from PAL to NTSC using Nero 10 and transcode AVIs to VOBs while doing image work...with GIMP.... I ordered the CM Hyper EVO..let's see if it makes a difference. Thanks all.