Sign in with
Your question

What graphic cards needs to support 120hz monitor?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 21, 2011 3:21:19 PM

Hi.

I recently bought samsung real 120hz input monitor, syncmaster S23A950.

So I want to see 120hz at just normal 2d game and normal web-surfing for better eye strain.

But my laptop (vaio, geforce gt540m) does not seems support 120hz output.

I connected from my laptop's hdmi output -> hdmi<->dvi-d(dual link dvi) adaptor -> dvi-d cable -> monitor.

But I saw 60hz is maximum at control panel-display-screen resolution-advanced-monitor tab-refresh rate setting.

So my question is,

what graphic card do I need to support 120hz output? I prefer radeon on this monitor because this monitor does not support nvidia's 3d vision ready. And using tridef 3d, and support radeon's hd3d feature.

so over radeon 6000 series all support 120 hz?

or if go to geforce, what series support 120hz?

Thanks.

a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2011 3:39:53 PM

You cannot upgrade the graphics card in your laptop, the gpu is soldered to the motherboard.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2011 3:43:16 PM

you will see no difference being that there is no way your 540m will produce 120fps to match the 120hz, next thing to do is build a gaming rig
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2011 3:44:42 PM

eleclerc said:
Check out Samsung monitor driver
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/LS23A950DS/...

All NVIDIA for serie 8 and higher can use 3d vision

yeah I can guarantee even an 8800gtx will struggle with 3d. Games that is, what about the required hdmi 1.4 port? Is that a marketing scheme or do the nv drivers make that null in void?
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 128 C Monitor
September 21, 2011 3:51:58 PM

At 1080p, you either need to have a displayport or dual link DVI connection. A converter to HDMI or VGA will downgrade the signal so that it can no longer support 120hz.

If your laptop doesn't support displayport or dual-link DVI, you are out of luck.
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 128 C Monitor
September 21, 2011 3:55:03 PM

eleclerc said:
what a bunch of..

The screen generate the 3d not the PC software!!!

According to the manual!!
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201105/201...

I'm not going through that entire manual, but you do realize that to display 3D, you must have a 3D source to display. Either a 3D DVD player, one AMD's software options or 3D vision. It doesn't convert 2D movies into 3D.
m
l
September 21, 2011 4:01:03 PM

This is the diffrence between technician and technologist.

Page 25, you has to activate 3D mode
- 2D to 3D: Converts a normal video to 3D video.
- Frame Sequential: Display the left and right images alternately in each frame.
- Top-Bottom: Display the top and bottom images overlapping each other to allow you to experience the 3D effect.
- Side-By-Side: Display the left and right images overlapping each other to allow you to experience the 3D effect.

You can also input real 3d images.

Install your monitor driver and try to set it to 120Hz!
m
l
September 21, 2011 4:02:37 PM

hi there.

Please read my question only...

Please don't assume on your own...

Of course already I know my laptops can't do.

I think to buy desktop graphic card of course.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2011 4:06:18 PM

hi there.

be specific.

dont assume we know what youre talking about...

if you wanted to get a desktop card, then why are you talking about hooking up your laptop to your 120hz display?

I think you need to explain things a bit better of course.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2011 4:06:22 PM

wsxdr said:
hi there.

You never mentioned ANYTHING about a desktop. Did you think we are all psychic mindreaders??
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 128 C Monitor
September 21, 2011 4:07:37 PM

wsxdr said:
hi there.

I did answer the question, to use 120hz at 1080p (@ 720p and below you have more options), you will need a card that has a dual link DVI or displayport connection. As far as I am aware, all new cards support this, except a few rare exceptions. Just look at the picture, if it doesn't have displayport of dvi, it won't work.
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 128 C Monitor
September 21, 2011 4:13:41 PM

eleclerc said:

Page 25, you has to activate 3D mode
- 2D to 3D: Converts a normal video to 3D video.
- Frame Sequential: Display the left and right images alternately in each frame.
- Top-Bottom: Display the top and bottom images overlapping each other to allow you to experience the 3D effect.
- Side-By-Side: Display the left and right images overlapping each other to allow you to experience the 3D effect.

You can also input real 3d images.

]http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/5720/3dmode.png

Install your monitor driver and try to set it to 120Hz!

1st off, he isn't looking to do 3D. All forms of 3D you listed, except 1, requires a 3D input, which involves software, either on a DVD player or computer. Have you ever seen this 2D to 3D converter? I'm curious, as logically, there is no way this can be done effectively.

You can't just plug in the monitor for 120hz if you are playing at 1080p, you do have to have the right cable and connections available, his laptop currently doesn't.

I am curious about that 2D-3D conversion. I don't know how you can convert a 2D image into 3D image without knowing a lot of info not given. I am curious how the software (software on the display) makes it into a 3D image with any accuracy.
m
l
September 21, 2011 4:14:07 PM

@bystander
Thanks.
So it means, graphic card's spec does not matter for 2d web-surfing 120hz?

Because I now using this laptop my main computer. So I firstly tested with this. and already I wrote got failed with this.

And then, I questioned about graphic card's spec or requirement for 120hz.

Was I be seemed so pool or noob even don't know laptop's graphic card can't be upgraded?

m
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
a c 195 C Monitor
September 21, 2011 4:15:13 PM

In a nutshell...

You cannot upgrade the video card in most laptops (at least 98% of them). Laptops that may allow you to upgrade the video card are gaming enthusiat laptops that generally costs at least $1,500. Only a few of them allows you to upgrade.

In order for a 120Hz monitor be capable of refreshing at 120Hz (instead of 60Hz), your video card must have a dual-linked DVI port (each DVI operates at 60Hz). I am not very familiar with HDMI specifications, but I think only HDMI 1.4 and above ports can output at 120Hz. If you have any of the older HDMI 1.3 (a,b,c...) then you are stuck with 60Hz output.

The nVidia GT 540M does not support 120Hz. You either need to buy a laptop with a powerful video card that can support 120Hz output (if one exists) or build a desktop PC and choose a video that is powerful enough to push over 60FPS at 1920x1080 resolution.

The nVidia GT 540M is a relatively weak video card so trying to play a game on a 1920x1080 monitor will not be stellar. You also need to realize that some performance will be lost using an external monitor since the video card must also refresh the laptop's screen.
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 128 C Monitor
September 21, 2011 4:16:37 PM

wsxdr said:
@bystander
Thanks.
So it means, graphic card's spec does not matter for 2d web-surfing 120hz?

Because I now using this laptop my main computer. So I firstly tested with this. and already I wrote got failed with this.

And then, I questioned about graphic card's spec or requirement for 120hz.

Was I be seemed so pool or noob even don't know laptop's graphic card can't be upgraded?

As I mentioned in my first post, you cannot convert a dual link DVI signal to an HDMI signal and maintain 120hz with HDMI. HDMI has a limit of 60hz at 1080p. If your laptop has a DVI or a displayport connection, then you could, but I doubt it has one, as that's quite rare for laptops.
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 128 C Monitor
September 21, 2011 4:18:22 PM

jaguarskx said:
In a nutshell...

You cannot upgrade the video card in most laptops (at least 98% of them). Laptops that may allow you to upgrade the video card are gaming enthusiat laptops that generally costs at least $1,500. Only a few of them allows you to upgrade.

In order for a 120Hz monitor be capable of refreshing at 120Hz (instead of 60Hz), your video card must have a dual-linked DVI port (each DVI operates at 60Hz). I am not very familiar with HDMI specifications, but I think only HDMI 1.4 and above ports can output at 120Hz. If you have any of the older HDMI 1.3 (a,b,c...) then you are stuck with 60Hz output.

The nVidia GT 540M does not support 120Hz. You either need to buy a laptop with a powerful video card that can support 120Hz output (if one exists) or build a desktop PC and choose a video that is powerful enough to push over 60FPS at 1920x1080 resolution.

The nVidia GT 540M is a relatively weak video card so trying to play a game on a 1920x1080 monitor will not be stellar. You also need to realize that some performance will be lost using an external monitor since the video card must also refresh the laptop's screen.

The newest versions of HDMI (at least 1.4) do allow for 120hz, but at a maximum resolution of 720p.

EDIT: I think I was wrong there. The way it's listed, I don't think HDMI can go above 60hz, but it has a special dual signal packet method to allow 720p to send two signals at once, allowing for 60hz 3D images (which is similar to 120hz).
m
l
September 21, 2011 4:22:38 PM

Yes this laptop only have hdmi & RGB output.

And so I think to buy desktop graphic card too. (already I have desktop's other part(cpu, ram,,,))
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 128 C Monitor
September 21, 2011 4:27:20 PM

Can you return your desktops graphics card? You need a dual-link DVI or displayport to be able to maintain a 120hz signal. You can convert a dual-link DVI to displayport or the other way around, but both sides of a converter must be able to handle a 120hz signal.
m
l
September 21, 2011 4:32:36 PM

bystander said:
Can you return your desktops graphics card? You need a dual-link DVI or displayport to be able to maintain a 120hz signal. You can convert a dual-link DVI to displayport or the other way around, but both sides of a converter must be able to handle a 120hz signal.

Currenly my desktop's graphic card is very old one, and it does not have any of those port.

m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 128 C Monitor
September 21, 2011 4:37:38 PM

It's time to upgrade to a modern card if 120hz is important to you.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2011 4:42:34 PM

eleclerc said:

is that why you play guitar hero instead of real guitar!? what a technologist! :lol:  seriously though have you ever used this mode yourself?

m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2011 5:11:14 PM

Quote:

English translation please?
m
l
September 22, 2011 12:58:27 AM

geekapproved said:
Quote:

English translation please?

sorry I am not native.
m
l
December 23, 2011 7:20:58 PM

Hello guys.
I don't understand a thing in compatibility of different cards, ports, monitors.

I ordered ViewSonic vx2265wm 120 hz monitor.
I have ASUS EN8400 GS card in my desk computer.
It has DVI-I output.

All I want is to run 120 hz in games (quakelive, quake 3 - not heavy games with poor graphics details) and also run 120 hz in general work (coding, working with documents). I dont want to use 3D technology - no need in this.

So. My question is - will it be possible to run these 120 hz with this grahpics card? Or I will have to buy better card?
m
l
December 24, 2011 8:24:41 AM

Anyone, please?
m
l
a c 84 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 24, 2011 8:45:09 AM

sap_92 said:
Anyone, please?

if that DVI-I is dual-link then it should work (dual-link cable is also needed, but i havent seen a single link cable in a long time, so you prob have one already)
m
l
December 24, 2011 8:59:50 AM

Kari,
thanks)
My card has DVI-I output (its looks same as DVI-I (Dual Link) on picture you provided) and this means that DVI-D can be connected to it.
But point can be that signal that will come out of it can be limited due to capabilities of GPU on card.

So 3D mode requires good cards (starts from 8800 GT GeForce), but I don't need a 3D. All I need is just 120 hz.

In case that 120 hz and 3D needed same output signals I will have to buy stronger card.

But ok, lets wait and see)
m
l
!