Sign in with
Your question

I just bought acer aspire with intel core i3-380m yesterday and

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 18, 2012 3:54:06 PM

I just bought it yesterday and there was a free update available from system updates in the action centre for Microsoft Essentials. It was optional, but i downloaded it anyways cause hey it free. So after i installed it within a few minutes i think, it said i have a worm, so i was a little freaked out, i have downloaded a few things already like daemon tools/winff/divx/googlechrome/bitlord... So ne ways, i asked essentials to remove it and it got half way and said it could not be done unless i do as administrator or some other dumb option, i am the only user and i am the admin. So i deleted Microsoft Essentials because it couldn't even remove the worm that it said my computer has. I have a firewall with my provider. Please let me know what to do. The threat what apparently severe. And is there anyway i can find out if i actually have a worm or virus. Are all worms and viruses located in processes, and can it be in system or else where. I have found it amazing how helpful this community is, and also some of the processes in my taskmanager has a *32 by them, what does that mean, is that normal.
a c 120 à CPUs
February 18, 2012 4:07:25 PM

Did you install MSE as admin or did you just hit run like a noob!
Also download Malwarebytes as admin and update it then run in safemode.
Save downloads to desktop and install as admin.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2012 4:41:32 PM

un4gettable47 said:
I just bought it yesterday and there was a free update available from system updates in the action centre for Microsoft Essentials. It was optional, but i downloaded it anyways cause hey it free. So after i installed it within a few minutes i think, it said i have a worm, so i was a little freaked out, i have downloaded a few things already like daemon tools/winff/divx/googlechrome/bitlord... So ne ways, i asked essentials to remove it and it got half way and said it could not be done unless i do as administrator or some other dumb option, i am the only user and i am the admin. So i deleted Microsoft Essentials because it couldn't even remove the worm that it said my computer has. I have a firewall with my provider. Please let me know what to do. The threat what apparently severe. And is there anyway i can find out if i actually have a worm or virus. Are all worms and viruses located in processes, and can it be in system or else where. I have found it amazing how helpful this community is, and also some of the processes in my taskmanager has a *32 by them, what does that mean, is that normal.

It seems to me that this is just another phishing software you downloaded, Buy a legitimate anti-virus software(retail), install it and your good to go.
m
l
Related resources
a c 148 à CPUs
February 18, 2012 6:43:07 PM

MSE is not that good an Anti-virus anyways. I know lots of people that have gotten viruses while using it, even me on my test-box. IOts better than nothing but there are plenty of free alternatives that are much better.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2012 7:03:50 PM

Serves ya right for d/ling stuff from a bit torrent :) 
m
l
February 18, 2012 9:07:25 PM

vrumor said:
Serves ya right for d/ling stuff from a bit torrent :) 

havent downloaded anything off of bitlord yet, just downloaded the program. N E ways, as i said, i deleted microsoft essentials after there was a pop up from the site saying i have a worm, but, i recently downloaded it again and i did a full scan and it took hours and found nothing. So i dunno, any insight please on what happened, thanks.
m
l
February 18, 2012 9:51:58 PM

*32 just means you are running a 64bit operating system (which is good) and these specific program's are running 32 bit code. Don't worry about anything this is perfectly normal. With regards to your worm. Did you have any preinstalled anti virus by ur manufacturer? If this is running in the background it can sometimes lead to a false positive. my advice when buying a laptop Is always to do a fresh install of windows so you can delete all the junk the manufacter provides. Then reinstall Mse and your gd to go
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 19, 2012 5:34:25 AM

"a pop up from the site saying you have a worm" ?

From a website or MSE? That's how websites get you to infect yourself.

I agree MSE is crap.

Malwarebytes is good for cleanup. I wouldn't go without a real time virus scanner though. The only system's I've never got a virus on have been protected by Trend Micro (paid subscription).

Of the free scanners, AVG has been reliable for me.

m
l
!