Do I need to upgrade my ram to 16 GB?

jesusissavior

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2012
Hi,

Do I need to upgrade my ram to 16 GB?

I have a HP Pavilion Elite e9250t CTO Desktop PC bought in December 2009. Here is the system specs.

Intel i7 860 @ 2.80GHz

8 GB of PC3-10600 of ram

1.5 terabyte 7200 rpm hard drive

ATI Radeon HD 4850 GDDR3 1GB Video Card

SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme sound card

I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OS

HP 21.5" 2159m LCD Computer Monitor

I use my computer for taking pictures with Olympus E-510 DSLR and Sony DCR-SX83 camcorder for standard definition (480i) video recording. I have Avid Studio for video editing to make video DVD's and Proshow Producer to make slideshows from my pictures to DVD's Do I need to upgrade my memory to 16 GB? In the future I still will record standard definition (480i) video and using Olympus E-system for my pictures. I will not be switching to high definition video.

Solution
short answer is NO...

it will be a diminishing return above 8GB, except you start multiple virtual machine at the same time

i own i5 2400 and 8GB ddr3
has no problem doing after effect projects

there is one i still dont have though... an SSD to add faster performance :)
short answer is NO...

it will be a diminishing return above 8GB, except you start multiple virtual machine at the same time

i own i5 2400 and 8GB ddr3
has no problem doing after effect projects

there is one i still dont have though... an SSD to add faster performance :)

Solution

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005

To check how much "extra" ram if any you have now, open up the Task Manager.

Right click the Task Bar /
Left click: Start Task Manager / Performance tab.

Look at the "available memory" in the lower left section of this window.
If you do this when all the programs you want to use are active, then you can get a feel for how much memory headroom you have now.

But just as a rule of thumb, it takes some effort to use all the memory in an 8GB system.
Windows 7 + a couple small programs and a browser will take about 2GB if you run an SSD.
With a hard disk system drive Windows will want to cache a lot more and you will lose another Gig or so, but this is dynamic so you can get it back as more programs become active.

Newf.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
AvailableMemory_zps17783877.jpg