CPUZ showing changes in processors core speed multiplier bus speed and fsb speed

cabbieron

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
My questions would be a) What is the relationship between bus speed multipier and core speed and
b) when running a stress test what is the highest clock cycle should I see.

Solution
Depends on your board bios and ratios (cpu: ram). some ratios are adjustable, and with some boards they will select the ram speed for you when overclocking. I prefer stability, so I drop the ram speed before overclocking the cpu, so the net ram speed is at or near spec.
Depends on your board bios and ratios (cpu: ram). some ratios are adjustable, and with some boards they will select the ram speed for you when overclocking. I prefer stability, so I drop the ram speed before overclocking the cpu, so the net ram speed is at or near spec.

Solution

It would help to know the specific CPU you are using
but essentially bus speed x multiplier=ghz
so for example my PHII x 4 925 2.8 has a bus speed of 200mhz times a 14 multiplier
giving me 2800 mhz or 2.8 ghz at stock
now I increased the bus to 235 so 235 x 14 gives me 3.4ghz or 3400mhz
now when you raise the bus speed basically everything else goes up
your ram speed increases
your north bridge frequency increases
even your PCI speed can increase
depends on whether you are talking about Intel or AMD since they work it different ways
with a PhII for example as your bus goes up so does your ram speed since the CPU has an on die memory controller
also you need to set your NB freq and HTT speeds as they will go up
make sure your HTT on an AMD doesnt go above your NB frequency
as far as b) goes that is hard to answer w/o knowing your CPU
but it will be your stock bus speed times your stock multiplier
now on some CPUs the multiplier can be changed to raise ghz without having to raise bus speed
which is preferred since you are not increasing all the other components and in fact on a newer Intel is
the only way to really OC

well I hope that came out clear enough :)