Should I Upgrade or Buy a New Computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowardly Cat

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: Probably 2-3 Months

Budget Range: At most $1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Playing Modern Games, Watching Movies, iTunes

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor

Preferred Website for Parts: None

Parts Preferences: I prefer Intel cpus and Nvidia gpus but I'm not against AMD's products

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1900 x 900

Additional Comments: I would like it to be quiet

The specs of my current computer are as follows
Motherboard: Gateway RS780
CPU: AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-Core
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+
RAM: 8 GB
Power Supply: 550W

I am a gamer who plays games such as Civilization V, Battlefield 3, and Skyrim and, as a gamer who cares about high graphics settings, I am looking to either upgrade my computer or buy a new one to get better performance while playing these and future games. When it comes to buying a new computer I am too inexperienced to build on myself so I've looked at a number of computers and the one in the following link caught my attention.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229283

So I'm left with the following questions
1. Can I upgrade my computer to run those games well on high graphics?
2. What would be the best parts to buy to upgrade my computer with?
3. Should the computer I linked to able to run those and future games well on high graphics?
4. Should the computer I linked to have good performance for its cost?
5. Would you recommend I upgrade my current computer or purchase a new one.

Solution
You will need to check your motherboards cpu support list before you consider upgrading .
I suspect your board is too old to run current generation processors , and its not worth upgrading the graphics of the current system because that Phenom 1 is not a great processor .

I suggest you start from scratch , and you follow the advice in the thread at the top of the forum about how to ask for advice
You will need to check your motherboards cpu support list before you consider upgrading .
I suspect your board is too old to run current generation processors , and its not worth upgrading the graphics of the current system because that Phenom 1 is not a great processor .

I suggest you start from scratch , and you follow the advice in the thread at the top of the forum about how to ask for advice

Solution

Cowardly Cat

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
I greatly appreciate the help I've received so far.
Anyways based on Outlander's advice I've decided to buy an entirely new computer and after looking around some more I've found another computer that may better fit my needs than the one I previously posted. The computer can be found at the following link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229283

I would like to know if this computer is capable of running modern games on high graphics and if it is a good value for my money, especially when compared to the Budget Intel-Based Gaming PC in the link bobusboy posted. However please take note that I would rather buy a prebuilt computer than build one myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.