Sign in with
Your question

Intel G620 or AMD athlon II X3

Last response: in CPUs
February 18, 2012 4:40:29 PM

hey guys, i have to buy new processor and motherboard in few days and I'm unable to decide which one should i go for,

since my budget is very tight, i can't shell out more than Rs.3800/- [$75] on a CPU and Rs.3000 [$60] on motherboard.

i will either get an AM3+ or LGA 1155 motherboard based on 760G [780L] / H61 chipset. found few motherboards which fits in my budget but processor is not yet decided.

i personally prefer AMD athlon II X3 as AM3+ has affordable CPU range for me to upgrade in future.

but the main problem is my PSU which i can't replace in next 6-8 months. i am worried if it can run the above rig with a 95W TDP athlon II X3 or not.

so PLZ CLEAR DOUBT IF I CAN RUN ATHLON X3 ON THIS PSU?

i ran

intel pentium dual core E5300 2.6GHz [65W TDP on stock] OCed to 3.4GHz
2X2 GB DDR2 RAM 800MHz
sparkle GT240 1GB DDR3 [70W TDP on stock] Oced to 650MHz
2X LED 80mm fans [intake] and one 92mm exhaust fan
3X HDDs, 250GB WD blue, 500GB hitachi and 1TB WD green
1 LG dvd burner

on same 450W PSU with 19A on +12V rail. i never encountered any issue like heating , BSOD etc. while running that rig even when OCed
i sold my motherboard and cpu few months back and currently using

intel pentium D 2.8GHz [95W TDP]
768MB DDR1 RAM
2X HDDs [40GB maxtor and 1TB WD green]
1X ODD
FX5500 256MB GPU
no extra fans

this rig runs fine as well. even when CPU is 95W TDP [compared to 65W TDP in E5300 i used to own]

my PC will have these components:

CPU : intel G620 or athlon II X3 425
mobo : 760G [780L] based AM3+ socket board or H61 based LGA1155 board
RAM : 4GB single stick corsair value select 1333MHz DDR3
GPU : sparkle nvidia GT240 1GB DDR3
HDDs: 80GB samsung IDE and 1TB WD caviar green
one brushless 92mm exhaust fan

and no ODD or intake fans

so i have to choose b/w intel G620 [sandy bridge pentium dual core] which has 65W TDP [same as of my older E5300]

OR

AMD athlon II X3 425 which has 95W TDP [same as of my current pentium D]

i want to know if running athlon II X3 425 is safe to run it on same psu ??

which one is recommended b/w g620 or athlon II X3 425

More about : intel g620 amd athlon

February 18, 2012 5:07:38 PM

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...

Pretty equal but I'd go Pentium because if you get some money saved up in the future you can get an Ivy Bridge i3 or i5. And with only 1 fan, the lower heat output of the CPU, the merrier.

Your PSU will be fine, but with only 19A on your +12v you can't really upgrade the GPU until you get a new PSU. But FWIW I'm running a Core 2 Quad (95w TDP) and HD 6850 off an Antec 400w PSU (30A +12V though). But its an Antec so its pretty good :) 

Good luck on your build! :) 
m
l
Related resources
February 18, 2012 5:20:30 PM

First off, I have a rig running my old Rana 445 with only an Antec Basiq 350W, with an HD 4650, 4 GBs memory, one optical and one WD HDD. Also, my brother is running an Athlon quadcore and an HD4650 on an Antec 350W as well, and I know he plays TOR without any problems. You can always disable a core if you're finding problems, I haven't found any with mine but my PSU is newer and it's an Antec. For whatever that thought is worth.

I think, if you're gaming, the G620 is the way to go. I build my first rig a year ago, and bought the Rana then, and it made me happy that I could game so well with so little investment. I upgraded to a Phenom II, and that's been nice, but I've come to the realization that I've hit the top of my upgrade line, and AM3+ isn't much better right now (compared to the top of AM3) if you're a gamer. I think that the G620 is the better of the two now, and even the G620 (or a little bit higher, can't remember) gets this month's recommendation from tomshw, for good cause.

edit: it was the G630

Your upgrade line on AM3+ is going to offer little returns per investment compared to a similar LGA1155 investment. This is coming from an AMD fan who is using AMD in 90% of the computers he owns and builds, even his laptops. I have no remorse going the route I did when I did it, but after the Pentium reboot on the bottom of the LGA1155 ladder, Intel swept the cheap and intermediate gaming market out from under AMD, whereas Intel already held the top anyway.

With the G620/LGA 1155 you can look forward to a nice i5 when you get the budget to do so (skip the i3 upgrade and just go from your pentium to the i5) An i5-23xx can run cheaper than an FX-8120, and with Ivy coming out soon, I'm sure the Sandy Bridges will drop a bit more even. With LGA1155, you'll be starting with a decent CPU and moving into the best socket out right now in terms of function/pricing/everything, and you'll be looking at a lower TDP to boot. The only limitation you'll see compared to the Rana is multitasking, encoding, etc, so if you can live with a slight hit to those aspects, I'd go with the G620.
m
l
February 18, 2012 5:26:25 PM

@davcon : i have no plan to go for i5 processor in future. i will upgrade to a sub 7k [140$ or less] CPU after 1-1.5 years

@VetteDude : yes i will upgrade psu before getting a new gpu but for next 5-6 months i will use same psu.
m
l
February 18, 2012 5:31:21 PM

@joafu : i5 is out of my budget. and i dont want a $140 dual core [i3] in future. that's why i am leaning towards AM3+. as i could buy a FX4100 in future

i am not a hardcore gamer tough. just want to make sure if AMD athlon II X3 will work fine on that psu.

considering my budget [and budget in future upgrades] AM3+ has better VFM and cheap CPUs compared to intel's expensive i5
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 18, 2012 6:37:03 PM

hgps said:

but the main problem is my PSU which i can't replace in next 6-8 months. i am worried if it can run the above rig with a 95W TDP athlon II X3 or not.

so i have to choose b/w intel G620 [sandy bridge pentium dual core] which has 65W TDP [same as of my older E5300]

OR

with a 435 (didn't have 425) and G620
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/112?vs=406

trades blows back and forth except the G620 uses almost half the power.
but you hadn't spec'd WHAT psu you are using . . a crappy one might be asking for problems with the AMD platform.

OOPPPS! i just noticed someone else posted a comparison link . . here is a PSU calculator (down for maintence ATM)
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 18, 2012 7:20:45 PM

If you plan on getting a i5 then you should get the G620 with Z68 to ensure you don't need a motherboard change.
m
l
February 18, 2012 7:32:30 PM

@sarinaide: no i have no plan for i5 in future. will go for a sub 140$ CPU after 1 year.

@VetteDude : but AMD phenom II X4 955/FX4100 seems more future proof than i3 2100 [correct me if i am wrong]

i thought FX4100 has 4 physical cores just like athlon x4 or phenom x4s
m
l
February 18, 2012 8:14:55 PM

hgps said:
@sarinaide: no i have no plan for i5 in future. will go for a sub 140$ CPU after 1 year.

@VetteDude : but AMD phenom II X4 955/FX4100 seems more future proof than i3 2100 [correct me if i am wrong]

No. They are fake cores. Only have 2 floating point units in their "quad core" which means its only an upgraded version of Hyperthreading. It's not more future proof, if the i3 beats it now, it will continue to beat it. Plus with the i3 you can upgrade all the way up to an i7. And the i7 will stomp on any "8 core" Bulldozer.
m
l
February 18, 2012 8:37:13 PM

i have no plan for i7 for sure :o 
does FX6xxx has 6 real cores or its similar to FX4100 with 3 rear cores??

with phenom IIs production getting stopped. :(  i think going for intel CPU seems future proof :(  but no OCing capability on cheaper intel CPUs is a big disadvantage.

which of these motherboard will be better??

MSI H61M-P21 (B3)
or
Biostar H61MLC
m
l
February 18, 2012 8:47:04 PM

hgps said:

I know you say that you keep saying you won't consider an i5, but if you plan to upgrade your CPU after a year, you need to look at what the market will likely do in a year. The Phenom II quads are getting harder to find even now, as the AM3+ processors have taken more attention from manufacturing so the AM3 processors have taken a back seat; there's no reason that after another year they will be easier to find- and by find, I mean get at a reasonable price. That is why getting an AM3+ board for the sake of even considering a Phenom 955 is not future proof, since those Phenom II's will dry up eventually, and the performance is not improved much- if at all- in the AM3+ processors, like the FX4100.

That's why there's overwhelming response from us today to go Intel and LGA1155, the G620 already performs better now, and the upgrade options in the future will perform better per dollar. If you decide to go intel, do not consider upgrading to the i3, no one is suggesting to do that, the upgrade is only minimal compared to what you could have gotten for the price; I think it was only mentioned to show comparison between what you can get on intel vs what you are thinking of upgrading to with AMD. That is why we all keep saying, if you go LGA1155/G620 now, getting the i5 later is what only makes sense, and you can find them for pretty good prices even now. Come Black Friday and next Holiday season, I'm willing to wager that the i5-2300's (the lowest, but still amazing, point in the 2nd gen i5) will dip below $140, especially after Ivy Bridge.
m
l
February 18, 2012 9:36:56 PM

ok i will go for intel :) 

i5 2400 costs Rs11,500/- [$230] as of now. i might even consider 2nd hand i5 in future if i cant increase my budget at that time.

thx to all for your help
m
l
February 18, 2012 10:24:00 PM

Yes when it comes time to upgrade, peruse eBay a bit for an i5. BEWARE though, if you are looking at a K-series processor (i5-2500k or i7-2600k) and the price seems too good to be true, it probably means they ruined the chip by putting too much voltage on it and thus are trying to sell the chip.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 19, 2012 5:04:20 AM

hgps said:

The Phenom II X4's are not future proof, simply because they have no future they are END OF LIFE now. The FX 4100 has a future in Piledriver though I wouldn't be licking my chops at that yet.

This is what Intel do well, their architecture is becoming more efficient in both performance and power usage that is a good thing all considered. AMD are trying to run higher powered chips to catch up to the Intel chips in turn running down efficiency numbers. You can find enough benchmarks out there which will show a i3 outperforms even a 8120 in a gaming realm. That said a i3/Pentium and a FX 4100(possibly 6100) are all lower end chips and you cannot expect lights out performance, of the lot the i3 is far superior undeniably.

It is a question of Cores when it comes to FX, each module essentially splitting its shared resources running simultaneous software threads. To me the bulldozer module is one large physical core divided into separate integer units that share the modules resources. The FX has two modules, some look at it as a quad, I look at it as a Quad lite.

m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 19, 2012 5:16:53 AM

the FX cores are real, they are just not as good as other cpu cores. People don't know what they are talking about in this thread it seems. Modules are not like a core split into 2 but rather 2 cores fused together, the complete opposite of what has been said in this thread.

the phenoms are more "future proof" because of the native 4 cores but you are out of upgrade room above that. If you can't upgrade to an i5 then it would probably be the better option.

The phenom and FX can both be put on the same motherboard if its an AM3+ mobo, you'd be able to upgrade to piledriver with either one if you buy an AM3+ mobo.

If you aren't gaming, the athlon II x3 would be a pretty good option but the g630 will give you more fps in most games if you do play games, you'd still need a decent gpu tho.

I'd go with the athlon to phenom, going from the celeron to the i3 isn't really worth it in the long run imo. If you can go to the i5 then it would be much much better.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 19, 2012 5:44:45 AM

hgps said:

You'll be fine with that PSU until you go to a 150+ Watt GPU.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 19, 2012 12:51:04 PM

Two cores fused together, do said cores operate independently?

If said FX 4100 has a total of four cores where is the SMT then, or is SMT to AMD add more cores each able to handle a single software thread, or does 1 module in this case two modules split resources so as to handle two software threads, in which case there is one functional "core" the other parts only purpose is to handle another thread but lacks what is required to call it a proper "core". If it is a four core chip each handling two software threads it would make it a 4C/8T chip and it isn't so, at best a quad core lite.
m
l
February 19, 2012 3:27:22 PM

going for AMD makes sense to me as i can upgrade to FX4100/6100 later. but i cant afford more than i3 even after 1+ years as pocket money is only source of money.

i am going for AMD athlon II X3 425. i will try to block a core if i suffer from any prob due to PSU.

i am thinking about buying this motherboard
http://www.flipkart.com/gigabyte-ga-78lmt-s2p-motherboa...

is this good and reliable board??

NO ASUS please [they have bad distributor, RMA service provider in my country]

m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 19, 2012 6:52:44 PM

sarinaide said:
Two cores fused together, do said cores operate independently?

If said FX 4100 has a total of four cores where is the SMT then, or is SMT to AMD add more cores each able to handle a single software thread, or does 1 module in this case two modules split resources so as to handle two software threads, in which case there is one functional "core" the other parts only purpose is to handle another thread but lacks what is required to call it a proper "core". If it is a four core chip each handling two software threads it would make it a 4C/8T chip and it isn't so, at best a quad core lite.

they operate independently but share a few things. there is no SMT in the FX, they have CMT which just means the 2 cores are built to share a few things and the L2 cache. The 1 module handles 2 threads with the 2 cores but the L2 cache and the FPU is shared. The Core operate perfectly fine separately doing separate tasks. you can disable either cores in CMT and you are still left with a core. You can't disable the real core in SMT without shutting off the virtual cores.

unlike SMT, the module has hardware in place to calculate 2 threads at a time instead of forcing 2 thread down 1 core.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 19, 2012 6:55:34 PM

hgps said:
going for AMD makes sense to me as i can upgrade to FX4100/6100 later. but i cant afford more than i3 even after 1+ years as pocket money is only source of money.

i am going for AMD athlon II X3 425. i will try to block a core if i suffer from any prob due to PSU.

i am thinking about buying this motherboard
http://www.flipkart.com/gigabyte-ga-78lmt-s2p-motherboa...

is this good and reliable board??

NO ASUS please [they have bad distributor, RMA service provider in my country]

seems pretty good for the budget. gigabyte is pretty good with their boards. I would highly doubt you need to disable a core since the difference between 3 cores and 2 is like 10w and the psu should give more than 150w even if its not a good one.
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 19, 2012 7:11:15 PM

hgps said:
i will try to block a core if i suffer from any prob due to PSU.

there is absolutely NO SENSE crippling your rig because of a PSU.
<insert rant about PSU being the most important part of a rig>

as been advised here; if you want the amd platform stay away from a power hungry graphics card (150 watt+) or go with the intel rig and have some breathing room.

m
l
February 29, 2012 2:58:17 PM

hgps said:
hey guys, i have to buy new processor and motherboard in few days and I'm unable to decide which one should i go for,

since my budget is very tight, i can't shell out more than Rs.3800/- [$75] on a CPU and Rs.3000 [$60] on motherboard.

i will either get an AM3+ or LGA 1155 motherboard based on 760G [780L] / H61 chipset. found few motherboards which fits in my budget but processor is not yet decided.

i personally prefer AMD athlon II X3 as AM3+ has affordable CPU range for me to upgrade in future.

i ran

intel pentium dual core E5300 2.6GHz [65W TDP on stock] OCed to 3.4GHz
2X2 GB DDR2 RAM 800MHz
sparkle GT240 1GB DDR3 [70W TDP on stock] Oced to 650MHz
2X LED 80mm fans [intake] and one 92mm exhaust fan
3X HDDs, 250GB WD blue, 500GB hitachi and 1TB WD green
1 LG dvd burner

on same 450W PSU with 19A on +12V rail. i never encountered any issue like heating , BSOD etc. while running that rig even when OCed
i sold my motherboard and cpu few months back and currently using

intel pentium D 2.8GHz [95W TDP]
768MB DDR1 RAM
2X HDDs [40GB maxtor and 1TB WD green]
1X ODD
FX5500 256MB GPU
no extra fans

this rig runs fine as well. even when CPU is 95W TDP [compared to 65W TDP in E5300 i used to own]

my PC will have these components:

CPU : intel G620 or athlon II X3 425
mobo : 760G [780L] based AM3+ socket board or H61 based LGA1155 board
RAM : 4GB single stick corsair value select 1333MHz DDR3
GPU : sparkle nvidia GT240 1GB DDR3
HDDs: 80GB samsung IDE and 1TB WD caviar green
one brushless 92mm exhaust fan

and no ODD or intake fans

OR

Whats your budget? I bought a few day ago a Foxconn H67S mobo and a G620 for $130 at Amazon.com

m
l
February 29, 2012 3:28:30 PM

^^^^ already ordered AMD athlon II X3 425 few days back from ebay.in . waiting for its arrival
m
l
!