Will the intel x79 motherboard run ivy bridge ?

marquis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
hi all , i'm thinking about starting an intel build .... and i want to get ready for ivy bridge , but i don't have the time to read through the rumor thread .....

is it looking like the intel x79 mother boards will work with ivy bridge ?

PMentior

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

The X79 Chipset (Socket 2011) is for the SandyBridge-E chips. It will not work with the regular IvyBridge chips when the are released (Both regular SandyBridge and regular IvyBridge are Socket 1155)

The X79 Chipset will most likely work with the IvyBridge-E (Most Likely Socket 2011) but those are probably at least another year away from release judging on how long after Regular SandyBridge the SandyBridge-E Chips took to come out.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

It will work with the z68 chipset with a bios upgrade more than likely. If you are looking to build for ivy bridge, just wait until they come out and the boards made around then are released, that way you avoid any bios trouble you might run into.

PMentior

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
I assume you mean the Z68 then yes (probably needs a quick BIOS update but we will find out more soon) the z68 will not support some of feature exclusive to IvyBridge, namely native USB3 support but all z68 have a separate USB3 chip anyway so it isnt too much of an issue

marquis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
great ,i'm going with a z68 ... i don't need the top of the line mother board for the E class ... i just want to get a nice i7 ivy .... something power efficent .... i'd think if i buy a new board around now that they would already be prepared for the new chip .. i'd of course check any mother board i buy before purchase ..