GTX580 bottleneck

axehammer

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
Hey all,
I just ordered a gtx580 for my rig at work. it has a 1045t and 8gb of ram. my question is how bad will my cpu bottleneck my gpu without an oc?
also it has the hp motherboard so no overclocking obviously. could someone recommend an affordable mb to swap out for some mild oc on the cpu?

Solution
you will see some bottleneck with the 1045 but your mobo im assuming since its HP is stock with the 6 core? should have the turbo frequency, and be ok to play BF3 if you dont want to be upgrading. you will get better performance out of a good OC, esp with that 580 being held back a bit, but you should be able to play nonetheless
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130608&Tpk=970a%20g45
this is what im running, it has am3+ so bulldozer ready, and overclocks very nicely. bios were a snap. it would be a good option for you if you were going that route to get a new mobo

axehammer

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
budget of $200 i guess. the local shop i called is recommending some new gigabyte board that he is not sure he can even get yet
do you think the 1045t stock will be ok for bf3? from what i understand it is a beast hardware wise.

you will see some bottleneck with the 1045 but your mobo im assuming since its HP is stock with the 6 core? should have the turbo frequency, and be ok to play BF3 if you dont want to be upgrading. you will get better performance out of a good OC, esp with that 580 being held back a bit, but you should be able to play nonetheless
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130608&Tpk=970a%20g45
this is what im running, it has am3+ so bulldozer ready, and overclocks very nicely. bios were a snap. it would be a good option for you if you were going that route to get a new mobo

Solution

axehammer

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
i want to squeeze as much as possible from my 1045t without water cooling. yes it is stock with the 6 core. i would like to upgrade but nothing major, as i have a rig at home that will need some work. it has 955*be (unlocked two cores) and a 470

alot of times the easiest way is to change your resolution down and see if your performance is near the same as 1920x1080. Or OC your CPU and see if there is a performance increase.

not a prob, im using it, and love it. it also has an automatic overclocking thingy i dont use called OC genie if you want to make it easy for you

that mobo says pciex16 on both ports, but ive seen people not getting the best performance out of the 2nd slot saying its a x4 when doing xfire, and do not think its sli certified. If you were wanting to SLi, then you will need to spend a little more money and get a better mobo with 2 pciex16 slots or even one with a x16 and the other x8 at the least