Hdmi mini to hdtv 1080p native resolution but large amounts of the screen cut of

G

I recently got a new PC without a monitor and so used my HDTV, I used to have it plugged in through a VGA cable and it worked fine but didn't like some resolutions and such so i ordered a HDMI mini cable to fit the slot of my nvidia gtx 460, i just plugged it in and on full 1080p which the Nvidia panel says is it's native resolution theres a fair bit cut away from all sides of the image and on the closest resolution which is 1680x1050 theres still a few pixels off the bottom and top yet black, empty space at the edges.
When I had a different computer plugged in via HDMI to this same television there was a resize desktop option or something on the Nvidia control panel but it's not there now.

You are having an overscan issue which seems to be common when connecting a PC to a HDTV. This is easily corrected with a Radeon card since Catalyst Control has overscan / underscan adjustment. However, there does not seem to be such an option for nVidia cards. I have a GeForce 9600GT connected from my home theater PC to my HDTV via a HDMI cable.

My HDTV is a 47" LG 47LH90 and I was able to fix the overscan issue simply by going into the HDTV's display options and under Aspect Ratio I chose "Just Scan". If you have a LG HDTV then it out. If you don't then just try out some of the output settings of you're HDTV maybe you'll get lucky....

G

i looked through my Tv's settings and the only display settings were 'Full' and 4:3

G

Don't like to double post but i've just switched back to my VGA for now, everything looked kinda sharp but blurry at the same time via HDMI.

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
many 1080p televisions don't actually have a display resolution of 1920x1080. as jaguar said, it's called overscan. there's nothing you can do to 'fix' it.

you've got 3 options:
1) get a new HDTV that has true 1920x1080 resolution (no overscan)
2) use VGA (at TV's actual resolution)
3) use ATI's/nvidia's software to crop the video signal down to fit the TV's screen.

TRENDING THREADS