tagadvance

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
I am building a server. The case I have chosen comes bundled with a 400W PSU. I am certain that the PSU will power the server. My question though, is will I be overburdening the PSU? I have always been of the opinion that it is better to go with a beefy power supply and underutilize it. If someone wants to provide a technical answer, that would be great; however, what I am really looking for is a reality check. Am I being overly sensitive?

Server specs:
1x SUPERMICRO CSE-822I-400LPB Black 2U Rackmount Server Chassis
1x AMD FX-8120 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core
4x 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 1333 (32GB)
2x WD RE4 WD5003ABYX 500GB
1x Motherboard (undecided)
1x GeForce GT 430 Low Profile Video Card (18 Amps on the +12 volt rail)

PSU specs:
400W AC high-efficiency power supply w/ PFC
AC Voltage____100 - 240V, 60-50Hz, 6-2.7 Amp
+5V_________ 30 Amp
+5V standby__ 4 Amp
+12V________ 32 Amp
-12V_________0.5 Amp
+3.3V________25 Amp
Certification___80 PLUS Certified

Solution
Based on the your specs, the installed PSU should be more than sufficient to run your server. I doubt you'll be pulling more than 200W at full load. That load level is around 50% of the advertised capability of your PSU...and 50% is usually the around the sweet spot for PSU efficiency.
Based on the your specs, the installed PSU should be more than sufficient to run your server. I doubt you'll be pulling more than 200W at full load. That load level is around 50% of the advertised capability of your PSU...and 50% is usually the around the sweet spot for PSU efficiency.

Solution

tagadvance

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

Generally speaking, I agree with you. At least this PSU is 80+ certified, so it shouldn't be complete crap. The other 2 cases I was looking at are the NORCO RPC-270 and the iStarUSA D-200-PFS which both have mixed reviews. Most 2U cases require a rear facing fan, which is somewhat difficult to find.

If you can find a standalone 2U server chassis with decent airflow and positive reviews, please post a link. In the mean time it looks like the Super Micro chassis is the best option. =\

I would normally agree with the generalization about case PSUs not being good...if we were talking about mid/full towers. We're talking about a $200+ server chassis by SuperMicro and they are definitely not the same thing.