cool-n-quiet

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Hi all - just joined the forum but been browsing it for a few years now.

I've got little rig set up - ASUS M2N32-SLi Deluxe and a Phenom 9950BE. I've got a Antec Kuhler 620 ontop of the Phenom to keep it cool.

Trouble is, it isn't. The Phneom will sit around 46°C Idle in the BIOS - in the OS it idle's at around 54°C and then when stress tested it will go upwards of 70°C.

I checked the Thermal limit of the CPU and its 61°C.

I'm a stickler for keeping computers and their components Cool and Quiet and Powerful and this is the only machine I have that I can't keep cool. I know that the 9950 is a hot core anyway but I don't think it should be this hot and running over its thermal limit.

Looking for some advice on getting cooler and maybe getting a better cooling system for it. Basically trying to find out where I'm going wrong!

Cheers

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

Just lap it ! And renew the thermal paste please.

intel_lapping_5.jpg

And there was a 140w version of that CPU if i recall correctly.

cool-n-quiet

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
I really don't want to lap the CPU - I've never had to before... I've re applied heat paste at least four or five times now and then applied Arctic Cooling MX-2 which dropped the temperature by about 5°C all round but still not good enough. Is my cooling solution good enough for the CPU? I'm sure I have the 125W Version of the core.

cool-n-quiet

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
That's what I thought.... I have the same cooler keeping a Phenom II X6 1055T below 28°C at full load. Could there be something wrong with this water cooler?

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
I doubt it. I think it's the flexibility of AMD's TDP ratings.

Keep in mind that TDP is max. Phenom II has much better thermals and power management. If you can I would either undervolt or upgrade CPU.

cool-n-quiet

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

What do you mean about the flexibility of the TDP ratings?

I'm looking at undervolting now. It's a shame - when its running it a very good cpu - just it won't keep cool. Is it just bad design?

Was thinking of underclocking it too.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
AMD and Intel have very different intepretations of CPU TDPs. Even between product lines. Phenom Is were notorious for having understated TDPs.

40753.png

G620T = 35W (apparently)
G620 = 65W???
Athlon II X2 = 65W??

G620T is almost the same as G620 =/= Athlon II X2

Obviously power draw is not TDP, but there tends to be a relationship between the two.

It's all over the shop.

cool-n-quiet

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Thanks - that makes sense.

I've just underclocked to 1.8GHz and dropped V Core to 1.2V and the highest I'm getting is 49°C under stress testing. Though the cores seem to be going through tests at different rates. Core 3 is still on Test 1 while Core 1 is on Test 3....

But at least its cool now - I can tweak away and work towards maybe just replacing the CPU.

loneninja

Distinguished
Just for reference I have a Phenom 9850, haven't checked temps in forever but I use to run it up to 73C for hours at end while rendering in 3ds max, still going strong 3 years later. Exceeding 61C doesn't cause any immediate damage so I wouldn't worry too much.

I keep my undervolted and underclocked now, I can run 2.0Ghz @ 1.125V, and 2.4Ghz @ 1.2V. You should be able to achieve similar results.

cool-n-quiet

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Yeah - I had mine running full for a month or so before I realised how hot it was... just got worried about cooking the thing as it cost a bit when I got it but hasn't been used much.

I've got it at 2.1Ghz and 1.2V atm and at full load it keeps it at around 57°C