Sign in with
Your question

Phenom 9950BE very hot.

Last response: in CPUs
February 18, 2012 9:29:32 PM

Hi all - just joined the forum but been browsing it for a few years now.

I've got little rig set up - ASUS M2N32-SLi Deluxe and a Phenom 9950BE. I've got a Antec Kuhler 620 ontop of the Phenom to keep it cool.

Trouble is, it isn't. The Phneom will sit around 46°C Idle in the BIOS - in the OS it idle's at around 54°C and then when stress tested it will go upwards of 70°C.

I checked the Thermal limit of the CPU and its 61°C.

I'm a stickler for keeping computers and their components Cool and Quiet and Powerful and this is the only machine I have that I can't keep cool. I know that the 9950 is a hot core anyway but I don't think it should be this hot and running over its thermal limit.

Looking for some advice on getting cooler and maybe getting a better cooling system for it. Basically trying to find out where I'm going wrong!

Cheers

More about : phenom 9950be hot

February 18, 2012 11:17:45 PM

cool-n-quiet said:
Hi all - just joined the forum but been browsing it for a few years now.

I've got little rig set up - ASUS M2N32-SLi Deluxe and a Phenom 9950BE. I've got a Antec Kuhler 620 ontop of the Phenom to keep it cool.

Trouble is, it isn't. The Phneom will sit around 46°C Idle in the BIOS - in the OS it idle's at around 54°C and then when stress tested it will go upwards of 70°C.

I checked the Thermal limit of the CPU and its 61°C.

I'm a stickler for keeping computers and their components Cool and Quiet and Powerful and this is the only machine I have that I can't keep cool. I know that the 9950 is a hot core anyway but I don't think it should be this hot and running over its thermal limit.

Looking for some advice on getting cooler and maybe getting a better cooling system for it. Basically trying to find out where I'm going wrong!

Cheers

Just lap it ! And renew the thermal paste please.

And there was a 140w version of that CPU if i recall correctly.

February 19, 2012 10:15:17 AM

I really don't want to lap the CPU - I've never had to before... I've re applied heat paste at least four or five times now and then applied Arctic Cooling MX-2 which dropped the temperature by about 5°C all round but still not good enough. Is my cooling solution good enough for the CPU? I'm sure I have the 125W Version of the core.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 19, 2012 10:27:20 AM

You already have one of the best coolers available for it...
February 19, 2012 11:36:11 AM

That's what I thought.... I have the same cooler keeping a Phenom II X6 1055T below 28°C at full load. Could there be something wrong with this water cooler?
a b à CPUs
February 19, 2012 11:38:36 AM

I doubt it. I think it's the flexibility of AMD's TDP ratings.

Keep in mind that TDP is max. Phenom II has much better thermals and power management. If you can I would either undervolt or upgrade CPU.
February 19, 2012 12:24:52 PM

amdfangirl said:
I doubt it. I think it's the flexibility of AMD's TDP ratings.

Keep in mind that TDP is max. Phenom II has much better thermals and power management. If you can I would either undervolt or upgrade CPU.

What do you mean about the flexibility of the TDP ratings?

I'm looking at undervolting now. It's a shame - when its running it a very good cpu - just it won't keep cool. Is it just bad design?

Was thinking of underclocking it too.
a b à CPUs
February 19, 2012 1:08:52 PM

AMD and Intel have very different intepretations of CPU TDPs. Even between product lines. Phenom Is were notorious for having understated TDPs.

G620T = 35W (apparently)
G620 = 65W???
Athlon II X2 = 65W??

G620T is almost the same as G620 =/= Athlon II X2

Obviously power draw is not TDP, but there tends to be a relationship between the two.

It's all over the shop.
February 19, 2012 1:35:50 PM

Thanks - that makes sense.

I've just underclocked to 1.8GHz and dropped V Core to 1.2V and the highest I'm getting is 49°C under stress testing. Though the cores seem to be going through tests at different rates. Core 3 is still on Test 1 while Core 1 is on Test 3....

But at least its cool now - I can tweak away and work towards maybe just replacing the CPU.
a c 83 à CPUs
February 19, 2012 5:25:54 PM

Just for reference I have a Phenom 9850, haven't checked temps in forever but I use to run it up to 73C for hours at end while rendering in 3ds max, still going strong 3 years later. Exceeding 61C doesn't cause any immediate damage so I wouldn't worry too much.

I keep my undervolted and underclocked now, I can run 2.0Ghz @ 1.125V, and 2.4Ghz @ 1.2V. You should be able to achieve similar results.
February 19, 2012 7:59:15 PM

Yeah - I had mine running full for a month or so before I realised how hot it was... just got worried about cooking the thing as it cost a bit when I got it but hasn't been used much.

I've got it at 2.1Ghz and 1.2V atm and at full load it keeps it at around 57°C
!