Please help me install Belkin dongle on Win98 machine! Des..

Last response: in Technologies
March 14, 2005 12:28:55 PM

I have nearly no hair left.
I have been trying to install a Belkin BT [F8T003_2.11] dongle for 2
weeks...yes, 2 weeks.
Tried everything *within my knowledge* and the end result is always the
same;

Small blue/red icon in sys tray.
Blue/white desktop icon [My Bluetooth places] which gives 'Bluetooth device
not found'. Every time.

I have completely uninstalled all BT software (except reg entries?) many
times.
I have tried updating ALL drivers. Supplied disk is 1.4.2.11
I have read MANY articles in newsgroups and forums - mostly from people with
similar problems and tried to fix problems from sparse replies where
applicable to Win98 installs. Not many.

Installation seems to vary everytime;

Sometimes installs a 'Microsoft TV/Video connection'
Sometimes tries to install 4x 'Composite USB devices'. This fails as I can't
seem to locate correct drivers. Do I need these?
Sometimes asks for windows files that are ALREADY there.
Sometimes installs BTW device - Belkin Bluetooth device.
etc...

My PC just cannot 'see' my dongle ie. BTWizard fails.
I suspect this is a Win98 and/or USB issue...in which case I'm in the wrong
group! :+/
Has *anyone* successfully installed this dongle on 98?

PLEASE help. I really need to get this working.
More info/logs available if required.
Thanks.
March 14, 2005 12:37:27 PM

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:28:55 GMT, "Bip" <Deep@Blue.net> wrote:

>My PC just cannot 'see' my dongle ie. BTWizard fails.
>I suspect this is a Win98 and/or USB issue...in which case I'm in the wrong
>group! :+/
>Has *anyone* successfully installed this dongle on 98?

98 Doesn't support USB, you want 98SE or much better still, XP.
March 14, 2005 12:49:47 PM

> 98 Doesn't support USB, you want 98SE or much better still, XP.

I knew I'd leave something out!
I have 98SE.
March 15, 2005 2:50:14 AM

"Bip" <Deep@Blue.net> wrote in message

> My PC just cannot 'see' my dongle ie. BTWizard fails.
> I suspect this is a Win98 and/or USB issue...in which case I'm in the
> wrong
> group! :+/
> Has *anyone* successfully installed this dongle on 98?
>
> PLEASE help. I really need to get this working.
> More info/logs available if required.
> Thanks.

- Is the device connected directly to a port on your computer or to a USB
HUB? These devices don't like hubs
- Do you have Zone Alarm, Norton IS or any other software firewall blocking
communications?
- Is the motherboard based on an old VIA chipset? These are known for bad
USB implementation in their first days...

http://www.geekzone.co.nz
http://www.geekmac.com
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 1:00:20 PM

Mauricio Freitas bashed on the keyboard and somehow came up with this:

:: - Is the device connected directly to a port on your computer or to
:: a USB HUB? These devices don't like hubs
:: - Do you have Zone Alarm, Norton IS or any other software firewall
:: blocking communications?
:: - Is the motherboard based on an old VIA chipset? These are known
:: for bad USB implementation in their first days...

Thanks for the pointers...

I've tried the device in all available USB ports.
Removed 4port USB hub early on, during process of elimination.

Yes, I have Zone Alarm running - I'm not too 'aux fais' with ZA settings.
I see a 'Bluetooth network next to my ISP network. It has an IP and a
subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 Does this sound correct?
It is marked as 'Trusted' (I don't trust anything on my PC but that's
another thread!)
Yes, I have an early VIA chipset. The motherboard is Asus A7V. Bios #1005D.
Likely culprit?

I should add that I have no problems with other conventional USB devices.

I'm beginning to think the problem is either with the actual installation or
I have a faulty dongle. :+/
Should it be asking me to install 4 different 'Composite USB devices'?

Thanks again.
!