Sign in with
Your question

D-Link Router Connectivity Problem

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 19, 2011 2:06:34 AM

I'm trying to upgrade from a MN-700 (microsoft) router to a DIR-655 (d-link) router.

I'm following the setup wizard step to the letter, but it craps out at the same spot every time: step 5 of 7 - connect the power cable to the d-link router... and then it just sits there waiting for the router. The lights on it start blinking, and it actually connected one time despite telling me that it was not connected and that I needed to restart the wizard. Has anyone else had this issue??? The wizard tells me the same thing every time too, that it can't find the router, yet I can go to 192.168.0.1 and log into it.

I'm a little disheartened by this NEW router being such a PITA to setup, yet I've been able to just toss my old microsoft POS router back in line and have it start up and work just fine without having to follow some fancy steps.

Can anyone help me???

March 19, 2011 2:16:08 AM

Frankly, I (and most other ppl I know) have never used a router setup wizard, ever. Most are pointless. Most routers are designed to work "out of the box". In fact, that's often a problem. Naïve users will then keep their wireless open, unaware they should lock it down w/ wireless security.

Anyway, you should be able to just plug it in, connect the WAN port of the router to the LAN port of the modem, and using a wire or wireless connection from the PC, be up and running.
m
l
March 30, 2011 4:45:47 PM

I'm pretty much a n00b when it comes to network stuff, but this is eventually what I ended up doing... and its been working like a champ ever since. The main thing that was throwing my off was that for some reason the new router was taking time to establish its connection to the modem (cable modem) - this threw me off because when I would re-hook up my old router it would just start working right away without having to wait. Once I just let it sit there and do its thing for 10 minutes or so it eventually just started working.
m
l
March 30, 2011 5:17:38 PM

just make sure to log into the router and lock down your wireless security
m
l
Related resources
!