Use Windowblinds and Style XP at the same time?

Can you use Windowblinds if you have already loaded Style XP or is there a
conflict between the two?

Thanks
8 answers Last reply
More about windowblinds style time

    On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 08:11:40 -0400, "Chris Eilersen"
    <eilerc51@chartermi.net> wrote:

    >Can you use Windowblinds if you have already loaded Style XP or is there a
    >conflict between the two?
    >
    >Thanks

    Some will say that there is no conflict between the two, but I have
    found that there is. Using both could cause your system to become
    unstable.

    Why would you even want to use both? Make your mind up, and choose
    one or the other.

    Donald L McDaniel
    Keep the thread intact
    Post reply to original newsgroup

    On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 08:11:40 -0400, "Chris Eilersen"
    <eilerc51@chartermi.net> wrote:

    >Can you use Windowblinds if you have already loaded Style XP or is there a
    >conflict between the two?
    >
    >Thanks

    Some will say that there is no conflict between the two. But I have
    found that there is.

    Using both could cause your system to become unstable.

    Why would you want to use both? Make up your mind, and choose one or
    the other.

    Donald L McDaniel
    Keep the thread intact
    Post reply to original newsgroup

    Donald McDaniel <orthocrossNOSPAM@cablespeedDOTcom.invalid> squirted
    these wordjisms deep inside the bumtube of the newstwat in

    > On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 08:11:40 -0400, "Chris Eilersen"
    > <eilerc51@chartermi.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Can you use Windowblinds if you have already loaded Style XP or is
    >>there a conflict between the two?
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>
    > Some will say that there is no conflict between the two. But I have
    > found that there is.
    >
    > Using both could cause your system to become unstable.
    >
    > Why would you want to use both? Make up your mind, and choose one or
    > the other.
    >
    > Donald L McDaniel
    > Keep the thread intact
    > Post reply to original newsgroup

    I found WindowBlinds on iots own unstable, and promptly uninstalled it. I
    only use a patched uxtheme.dll file (have done for three years) and have
    found no problems with any themes this way.

    The only trouble, if you can call it that, is to occasionaly have to update
    the patched file (after a Service Pack installation, for example). I
    consider this a small matter compared to having a stable system.

    --
    *********************************

    On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 07:56:25 -0700, David Qunt <davidqunt@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >I found WindowBlinds on iots own unstable, and promptly uninstalled it. I
    >only use a patched uxtheme.dll file (have done for three years) and have
    >found no problems with any themes this way.
    >
    >The only trouble, if you can call it that, is to occasionaly have to update
    >the patched file (after a Service Pack installation, for example). I
    >consider this a small matter compared to having a stable system.

    Why use a "patched" UxTheme.dll file, when you can install the latest
    version of StyleXP (which they always update with each iteration of
    service packs from Microsoft) from TGTSoft.com for ony $19.95.

    The "patched" UxTheme.dll file is not supported by Microsoft (not only
    is it not supported by Microsoft, it is a violation of your Windows
    EULA to use it -- the patch is actually a reverse-engineering of the
    OS, which is strictly forbidden by your EULA -- and you must use a
    Restore point (which may or may not work) or run the System File
    Checker to restore your system to a pristine state should you decide
    to remove it (both of which may require the re-application of one or
    more service packs and all updates).

    > On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 07:56:25 -0700, David Qunt <davidqunt@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I found WindowBlinds on iots own unstable, and promptly uninstalled
    >>it. I only use a patched uxtheme.dll file (have done for three years)
    >>and have found no problems with any themes this way.
    >>
    >>The only trouble, if you can call it that, is to occasionaly have to
    >>update the patched file (after a Service Pack installation, for
    >>example). I consider this a small matter compared to having a stable
    >>system.
    >
    > Why use a "patched" UxTheme.dll file, when you can install the latest
    > version of StyleXP (which they always update with each iteration of
    > service packs from Microsoft) from TGTSoft.com for ony $19.95.

    And there you have your answer. $19.95 worth of answer.

    > The "patched" UxTheme.dll file is not supported by Microsoft (not only
    > is it not supported by Microsoft, it is a violation of your Windows
    > EULA to use it -- the patch is actually a reverse-engineering of the
    > OS, which is strictly forbidden by your EULA -- and you must use a
    > Restore point (which may or may not work) or run the System File
    > Checker to restore your system to a pristine state should you decide
    > to remove it (both of which may require the re-application of one or
    > more service packs and all updates).
    >
    > Donald L McDaniel
    > Keep the thread intact
    > Post reply to original newsgroup

    I know all that, patronising as it was.

    Incidentally, I don't use System Restore. It's quite good at backing up
    any viruses ready to restore if called upon. Instead I use DriveImage as
    a much better way of backing up my system.

    But with all of this, we are wandering off topic.

    My computer is exactly that - *mine*. It is not *your* place to tell me
    what I can and cannot do with it. What I do with it is between me, my
    EULA (as you condescendingly mention), my computer, and of course my
    conscience. Let me explain my lines of logic.

    So I and many thousands of others 'violate' our EULA by using a patched
    system file - big deal. I would expect MS would prefer to go after those
    who offer patched system files, rather than me, if they bother at all,
    that is.

    I rather think they will be too busy trying to get Longhorn out to
    corporations in exchange for money, as opposed to worrying about which
    method I use for themes on my PC. MS are not going to be able to legally
    confiscate my legally paid for version of Windows simply because I use a
    patched system file.

    Consequently, I do that, entirely at my own risk.

    I have an OEM version of XP anyway, so I don't lose any 'support' from MS
    either way - the manufacturer/vendor has to provide that. And I don't
    need them to do so, because I can do it myself.

    No further reply necessary.

    --
    *********************************
    > David Qunt

    Chris--

    I have both installed on an SP2 RTM box, and I have not noticed the hint of
    any instability or problems with their concominatant use. I used both
    through Windows XP, then SP1, and now SP2 RTM. I haven't seen problems
    using both if either were loaded first.

    I tried them in Win 9X, and they worked fine, but some idiot sneaked in that
    abominably unstable Windows ME to help OEM PC makers sell (as is the reflex
    relationship), and so many bugs were in that thing it was hard to know what
    was causin' what. I thought ME was kind of a "Redmond has left the building
    on a very long sabattical, and we are in no way responsible for this ME
    OS--we have temps doing it who have never made software before"

    There is talk that there will be an interim build before Longhorn--an "XP
    Reloaded" that has been revived lately. I don't know--but I'll be trying
    both of these with that, if they do.

    I have not tried to mix small components of each "in real time," but I can
    choose to use features of one, and features of the other if I want. Right
    now, I have TGTSoft's Style and Windowblinds with Object Desktop components
    and Stardock Central both installed, but to save CPU I'll keep one from
    not essential, then I won't let the process run. I'm using Window Blinds,
    and I also find, and this matters that in using each, the skin can dictate
    and interact with the font size and style depending on the skin.

    Sometimes, the skin will deliver me a font size or style I absolutely don't
    want, and so I'll go to the display properties dialogue box and experiement
    until I get the font I want. I like larger fonts and buttons then default
    on my menus, taskbar, notfication area, name bars and even the font that
    lists newsgroups, posters and dates on this nntp newsreader and that
    requires a little tweaking around. During the tweaking you'll get some
    temporary video display freezes, but that has nothing to do with
    concommitant use of the two and temporary is measured in seconds or a couple
    minutes max--and thats not at random, that's while I make a deliberate skin
    or other style change.

    I wouldn't hesitate to have them both on. I enjoy the huge variety and
    going to one theme site or another via a search engine and changing the
    "fung shui" of looks I can get.

    Plus I'm fairly certain that Bill Gates, Stevie Balmer, and Jimmie Alchin
    stood up in unison at several of the latest MSFT conferences and said
    "Longhorn Shmonghorn, Blackcomb Schmackomb, the hell with Security or any of
    this SP2 security and Data Execution Prevention junk --this company has and
    will always be about the fung shui of the looks and gui colors our users can
    enjoy--we want fun views in our Windows. We ain't no Linux and it shows." I
    heard this statement will be a staple in future add campaigns.

    If you put them both on, and you see any problems, I don't think *anything
    that happens is not going to be something minor* that you can easily
    dispense of, if you don't want it. You can never say never with software,
    but from my experience with them, I don't see you having a major instability
    or crash or effect from which you can't recover, and I'm not having any
    after running them both for nearly a year.

    One of the problems I had was that through different builds of SP2, it would
    take Style XP a little while to be compatible with the build. In other
    words, an SP2 build would release, I would use it, and Style simply
    wouldn't work at all, until they updated it. TGTSoft was *very good about
    doing this quickly*, and letting you know on their site, and in their
    forums.

    TGTSoft issued August 11: Style XP 2.13 released (Support for SP2 Final).
    See http://www.tgtsoft.com/

    Have a good time with these looks,

    Chad Harris

    "Chris Eilersen" <eilerc51@chartermi.net> wrote in message
    Can you use Windowblinds if you have already loaded Style XP or is there a
    conflict between the two?

    Thanks

    > Why would you even want to use both? Make your mind up, and choose
    > one or the other.

    I have my reasons. No need for the "command" regarding my mind and choice.
    Other than that, thank you kindly for the response.

    CE

    Short History of Stardocks
    http://www.flexbeta.net/main/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=68

    Chad Harris

    "Chris Eilersen" <eilerc51@chartermi.net> wrote in message
    Can you use Windowblinds if you have already loaded Style XP or is there a
    conflict between the two?

    Thanks

Configuration Style Microsoft Customization Windows XP